Any recommandations about name's folder ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Cindrivani

Any recommandations about name's folder ?

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 1:01 am

I've just reconnect and upgraded my DVR17 databases into the databases manager in DVR18, everything was perfect.

I've notice for some folder that if any symbol are used in the name, relink media is impossible.

Don't use ❌symbols❌ in folder's name ! in your OS

An Postgresql limitation I guess…
DVR Studio 18.6.4 | MacOs 12.7.1 | MacPro 5.1 dual X5680 DDR3 96 Go | RadeonVII
Scratchdisk Sonnet M.2 4x4 2To
SpeedEditor | MicroPanel | DeckLink MiniMonitor 4K

Marc Wielage

Re: Any recommandations about name's folder ?

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 2:01 am

Cindrivani wrote:I've just reconnect and upgraded my DVR17 databases into the databases manager in DVR18, everything was perfect. I've notice for some folder that if any symbol are used in the name, relink media is impossible.

That's correct. We try to avoid spaces, slashes, High-ASCII characters, #, %, &, !, ?, and other punctuation marks. The only punctuation marks we ever use are a regular dash (-) and an underscore (_). We use that methodology for filenames, folder names, project names, and database names. If you remove the illegal characters, it should work fine in a Relink situation.

I'm surprised that "Illegal Characters" are not a topic in the Resolve user manual. We consider this a very standard part of workflow at our company. We also warn clients not to change filenames during the edit process: it's amazing how neophyte filmmakers want to change a camera file name like A002_C002_102691_001 to "SC32-4," to reflect the scene & take numbers of the project. We'd always rather they keep the original file name (which uses legal characters) and only change the information in the metadata.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

Re: Any recommandations about name's folder ?

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 4:19 am

Same here. I kept my old habits from UNIX times and use standard ASCII only and hyphen or underscore for separation. I tell students and clients not even to use German Umlauts.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve