Resolve free 18.1.2 crashing PC

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

baffledslot

Resolve free 18.1.2 crashing PC

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 2:23 pm

I'm also having frequent full crashes on Resolve 18.1.2 and 18.1.1. Screen just goes black, LCD is still on but it's a black screen and I have to restart my PC. Windows system logs show no relevant event, DR diagnostic logs show nothing. I've used this same PC, editing the same type of files, for years with other versions of Resolve. I'm running a 3070 8gb, Ryzen 5900HS, 16gb ram, WD black SSD and editing optimized media files. I've run memtest and my RAM is fine, HD is fine my pc has no issues with any other application and the crash hasn't occurred on anywhere except Resolve. I've reverted to the last update of DR 17 and the problem hasn't occurred. No idea what's going on with the latest update but it is effectively broken for me.

Temperatures are monitored with HWinfo and are well within spec (topping out at 82c, which is totally fine for my Ryzen 5900HS). No other applications open while I edit. I know I don't have an ideal amount of RAM, but I've been using this same PC for hundreds of hours of editing from the same cameras, basically the same projects, and haven't had any issues until the latest updates for DR 18.

The crashes happen randomly sometimes immediately upon opening a project, sometimes after an hour of editing. The crash has occurred in the fairlight tab, the fusion tab, and the edit tab. I'm able to render projects without crashes. Windows system logs show nothing, DR diagnostic logs show nothing.

EDIT: Here are the logs just after a recent crash: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fx7IZK ... sp=sharing
Last edited by baffledslot on Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve Alexander

Re: Resolve free 18.1.2 crashing PC

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 2:37 pm

Is it true that you have this problem with all versions of Resolve 18? You mentioned 'the latest version' and then rolled back to version 17. Just need some clarification. Could it be that Resolve 18 simply uses more RAM than Resolve 17 for some reason and that 16 GB of RAM is insufficient? You would need to monitor RAM usage, I suppose to see if RAM usage maxes out around the time of the crash. You aren't the first person to report crashes with Resolve 18 where they were successful running Resolve 17.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Andy Mees

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 2:40 pm

baffledslot wrote:Windows system logs show nothing, DR diagnostic logs show nothing.
Regardless Bobby, if you want help diagnosing then you'll need to share those logs so BMD support can see for themselves what they have to say (and disregard them if necessary).
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

baffledslot

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 2:40 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:Is it true that you have this problem with all versions of Resolve 18? You mentioned 'the latest version' and then rolled back to version 17. Just need some clarification. Could it be that Resolve 18 simply uses more RAM than Resolve 17 for some reason and that 16 GB of RAM is insufficient? You would need to monitor RAM usage, I suppose to see if RAM usage maxes out around the time of the crash. You aren't the first person to report crashes with Resolve 18 where they were successful running Resolve 17.

Unfortunately I can't remember which version the crashes started on. I was midway through a project and I just powered through to get it finished, restarting my pc every time the crash occurred. I know they happened with 18.1.1, because I updated to 18.1.2 hoping it would fix the problem. So at least 18.1.1 and 18.1.2.

I'm editing 20 minute videos using optimized media that's all at 1080p, only one 15 second fusion clip (drawing a line on a static map image), very minimal color grading maybe 1 out of 10 clips gets an adjustment, and Dialogue Processor audio effect on 50% of the clips. I've attached the logs from after a crash to my first post.

An 8gb GPU and 16gb RAM surely should be enough for this light level of editing in my opinion. I know Resolve is notoriously RAM hungry, and this does seem to be a RAM/GPU error of some kind. I use this same PC to play very intensive games and I have no issues, and I'm on the latest AMD and Nvidia drivers.

baffledslot

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 2:45 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
baffledslot wrote:Windows system logs show nothing, DR diagnostic logs show nothing.
Regardless Bobby, if you want help diagnosing then you'll need to share those logs so BMD support can see for themselves what they have to say (and disregard them if necessary).
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

Yes I meant to attach the logs but forgot, I've edited my original post to include them. Thank you for the reminder.

Andy Mees

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 2:51 pm

Meanwhile, heres a thread where a user who tested everything eventually narrowed his own problem down to a defective memory module that was otherwise passing all the tests.
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=165696&start=50#p914469

baffledslot

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:04 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Meanwhile, heres a thread where a user who tested everything eventually narrowed his own problem down to a defective memory module that was otherwise passing all the tests.
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=165696&start=50#p914469

Interesting. Unfortunately the user doesn't state how they determined that was the problem and I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to test that myself.

My RAM is unfortunately soldered to the motherboard so I'm SOL if that's the case.

What I find strange is that the problem doesn't occur in DR17 or in any other application on my computer, leading me to believe it's specific to DR18. I also use Blender, Photoshop, Lightroom, (often all at the same time) and run games with ray tracing that stress the PC to the limit and have no problems in any of those.

Edit:

I also find it strange that I have no issues rendering. Rendering seems like it would be the most intensive task that Resolve needs to do, yet I'm managed to successfully render multiple projects with no issues. Nothing seems to trigger the crashes, sometimes they happen when I'm not even doing anything other than navigating around the timeline.
Last edited by baffledslot on Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Alexander

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:32 pm

baffledslot wrote:I'm editing 20 minute videos using optimized media that's all at 1080p, only one 15 second fusion clip (drawing a line on a static map image), very minimal color grading maybe 1 out of 10 clips gets an adjustment, and Dialogue Processor audio effect on 50% of the clips. I've attached the logs from after a crash to my first post.

An 8gb GPU and 16gb RAM surely should be enough for this light level of editing in my opinion. I know Resolve is notoriously RAM hungry, and this does seem to be a RAM/GPU error of some kind. I use this same PC to play very intensive games and I have no issues, and I'm on the latest AMD and Nvidia drivers.

How are you bringing in the static map image and what is its resolution? Large image files in Fusion will consume loads of memory. Copy the project and in the copy, remove this Fusion clip and see if you still get crashes. Did you monitor your memory consumption at the time of the crash to see if it was peaking?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

baffledslot

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:36 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:
baffledslot wrote:I'm editing 20 minute videos using optimized media that's all at 1080p, only one 15 second fusion clip (drawing a line on a static map image), very minimal color grading maybe 1 out of 10 clips gets an adjustment, and Dialogue Processor audio effect on 50% of the clips. I've attached the logs from after a crash to my first post.

How are you bringing in the static map image and what is its resolution? Large image files in Fusion will consume loads of memory. Copy the project and in the copy, remove this Fusion clip and see if you still get crashes. Did you monitor your memory consumption at the time of the crash to see if it was peaking?

The crashes have occurred before I even brought the file into Resolve, I should have mentioned that. I make videos with the same pattern where I edit a travel video then import a static image to show my progress on a map at the very end when my edit is complete. It's a 4000x4000 png, but that doesn't seem to be the issue since the crashes were occurring throughout my editing process, well before I had even created the map image and imported it into Resolve.

I will start actively monitoring memory usage but I haven't done that in the past. At this point I've downgraded to DR17 and haven't encountered any crashes, but I haven't gotten that far into my next project yet.

Other than the non-existent UI scaling, DR17 works for my needs. The teeny tiny text on my 1440p 15" monitor is very annoying but I lived with it for a long time before DR18 finally solved that issue.

EDIT: As something of a stress test to check how much RAM my projects use in DR17 I loaded up 130 4k 200mbit clips in a timeline (I usually optimize my clips for smoother editing, but I didn't this time), my same 4000x4000 image, and made a quick fusion clip on the static image like I normally do. Ram usage was high but peaked at about 6000mb, and my pc ran fine.

baffledslot

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 1:40 pm

I'm seeing a bunch of other similar threads, is DR 18 having issues?

Andy Mees

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 3:12 pm

baffledslot wrote:I'm seeing a bunch of other similar threads, is DR 18 having issues?
Hard to say with certainty Bobby.
Obviously this is a community support forum, so you're mostly only going to see posts from users that are having issues here. Users without issues don't tend to come to the forum to post about the lack of them. ;) Given the size of the user base, if there were really significant issues with DR18, I'd expect we'd have seen many, many more posts than we have. Most 'crashing PC' type posts turn out to be installation specific.

baffledslot

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 11:03 am

For sure, could be limited to issues with specific hardware. Haven't gotten any feedback on my logs so I guess I'm just gonna have to give up on this for a while.

Andy Mees

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 11:35 am

Give today's update (18.1.3) a try ... even if not specifically addressing it, the overwrite, if not the 'general performance and stability improvements' can sometimes shake off a gremlin.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 7:06 pm

There are no crash dumps in any of your Resolve crash logs.

If you have to restart the PC, it sounds like something hardware wise is hanging, and that prevents anything from getting logged in the Resolve crash logs when it happens.

Seeing a Windows System Information .NFO file could be helpful. Run the Windows System Information app and select its File menu, then Save, to create the .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

baffledslot

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 12:46 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:There are no crash dumps in any of your Resolve crash logs.

If you have to restart the PC, it sounds like something hardware wise is hanging, and that prevents anything from getting logged in the Resolve crash logs when it happens.

Seeing a Windows System Information .NFO file could be helpful. Run the Windows System Information app and select its File menu, then Save, to create the .NFO file.

Thank you for the reply. At this point I've switched back to DR17 and haven't had any crashes, so I'm going to assume there's some sort of incompatibility between my hardware and DR18. I haven't experienced the issue with DR17 or any other of the CPU/GPU intensive programs I regularly use so I'm just going to continue using 17 as it works well enough for me.

If I do decide to switch back to DR18 and experience another crash I'll make sure to grab the windows .nfo.

Return to DaVinci Resolve