Invert Voice Isolation

• Author

Zeke Faust

Invert Voice Isolation

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 1:24 am

Pretty self explanatory. Since we can isolate the voice track, it makes sense to me to have an "invert" button so that the voice is removed, and only the ambient sound remains.

Case study: I have some footage recorded in the rain, and I want to boost the voices to make them more clear, but without adjusting the rain sound.

With this feature, I'd duplicate the audio track, enable voice isolation on both, and "invert" the rain track. Then I could enhance/boost only the voice however I need. Without the feature, I'd get a doubling effect if I tried this.
Threadripper 3960x
128GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090

ArcanePath

Re: Invert Voice Isolation

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 12:38 pm

I second this. It would be a great tool, like being able to have multi channel audio from a single track. You could change the pitch of a voice for example, without changing the pitch of the background noises.
Danny Akuma

Andy Mees

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 1:41 pm

+1 ... in the meantime, I've been using this online service with some success, it creates separate stems:
https://vocalremover.org/
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

ricardo marty

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 4:52 pm

+2

Ricardo Mary
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

jamedia

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 9:31 pm

+2
There are times you need the background sound to cover gaps in the audio when editing in B-Roll. Removing the voice would give you more audio to play with.

As an aside I had cause to use voice isolation on an outdoor interview in a public street. Amazing!
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Marc Wielage

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 11:09 am

Zeke Faust wrote:Pretty self explanatory. Since we can isolate the voice track, it makes sense to me to have an "invert" button so that the voice is removed, and only the ambient sound remains.

I think that makes sense. I know there's an invert feature in iZotope RX, and we can use that to figure out when we've gone too far in increasing the NR level. Voice Isolation is different, but it'd still be nice to be able to listen to what's being filtered out to understand the compromises and artifacts.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Leonel Dolara

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 3:54 pm

I too second this, I think it should not be difficult to deliver the sound that was left behind when isolating the voice, as the IA process has already been made, it's not a new process.

Sometimes we need that background noise to add in another scene where it should be but for a mistake in the continuity of the shots it is not.

Hope it will be added soon!!!

Kindest regards,

Johan Fleetwood

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 10:35 pm

Yes, that's a good suggestion!
Johan Fleetwood
Colorist | Editor | Post Production Consultant
- Win10pro, RTX 2080, Decklink, Mini Panel, Speed Editor, Ample RAM & SSD storage -

Tekkerue

PostSat Feb 11, 2023 9:49 am

+1!

However, it seems like they might have to do a little more than simply invert the voice because it also removes reverb from voice. If the dry voice was simply inverted, then you'd have the voice's reverb tail still present along with the background sounds. This would require some tweaks to the algorithm to also remove the voice's reverb from the background.

If they are able to tweak it to isolate the reverb like that, then it would be cool to have a checkbox to preserve reverb even when isolating the vocal as well. Waves Clarity Vx does preserve reverb when isolating voices, so it is definitely possible to do this.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

jamedia

PostSat Feb 11, 2023 10:11 am

Tekkerue wrote:+1!

However, it seems like they might have to do a little more than simply invert the voice because it also removes reverb from voice. If the dry voice was simply inverted, then you'd have the voice's reverb tail still present along with the background sounds. This would require some tweaks to the algorithm to also remove the voice's reverb from the background.

If they are able to tweak it to isolate the reverb like that, then it would be cool to have a checkbox to preserve reverb even when isolating the vocal as well. Waves Clarity Vx does preserve reverb when isolating voices, so it is definitely possible to do this.

I had a feeling it might not of been quite so simple. which is probalby why there is no "invert" check box wth the feature.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostSat Feb 11, 2023 1:25 pm

Check out Spleeter from Deezer here : https://github.com/deezer/spleeter.

It's mostly used to extract instruments and vocals. I personally used it on other things than songs... regular audio with voices and background noises.

It was a while back so I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure that by selecting "2 stems", I got the voice in one file, and whatever was in the background in a second file.

On the github page, they say :
Spleeter pre-trained models have also been used by professional audio softwares. Here's a non-exhaustive list:

iZotope in its Music Rebalance feature within RX 8
SpectralLayers in its Unmix feature in SpectralLayers 7
Acon Digital within Acoustica 7
VirtualDJ in their stem isolation feature
Algoriddim in their NeuralMix and djayPRO app suite

So I imagine this type of operation can be done, if Resolve can isolate voices, it can isolate the background noise.

I didn't use any of the mentioned tools but iZotope is a standalone and a plugin for DAWs right?
So I imagine that the operation can be done in real time.
Windows 10
19b
nVidia 3090 - 552.22

ChickMan007

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 8:47 pm

For feature films this would be great as we need to separate the M&E from the Dialogue and this would be a huge help to be able to keep the background sounds like footsteps and whatnot. PLEASE add this invert function to the Voice Isolation effect. Seems like an easy and very useful feature!

JaysonX

PostSat Nov 11, 2023 12:18 am

+1 just add a 'remove voice' checkbox or if they want a whole new effect to toggle, I'm fine with that.
Desktop | Version 18.5 | Ryzen 9 3950X | 64 GB RAM | RTX 5000 | Windows 10

Laptop | Version 18.5 | i7-9750H | 32 GB RAM | GTX 1650 | Windows 11

Marc Wielage

PostSat Nov 11, 2023 6:53 am

ChickMan007 wrote:For feature films this would be great as we need to separate the M&E from the Dialogue and this would be a huge help to be able to keep the background sounds like footsteps and whatnot. PLEASE add this invert function to the Voice Isolation effect. Seems like an easy and very useful feature!

For that, you need Digital Extraction, which is a completely different tool. Here's a list of some of the plug-ins out there that could be used to remove dialogue only and leave everything else. Be warned it's not a "set-and-forget" tool -- it has to be fine-tuned to every moment, because there are times when a human voice might be in the exact same frequency range as music or effects.

http://www.algorithmix.com/en/renovator.htm
https://audionamix.com/xtrax-stems
https://www.audiosourcere.com/demix-pro ... -software/
https://hitnmix.com/remix-software
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx.html
http://www.prosoniq.com/editing-products/sonicworx/
https://www.steinberg.net/spectralayers/

This is a very complex, difficult area, and people have been working on this for decades. And you're certainly not going to get it for free with a Resolve tool.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Norbert339

PostSat Nov 11, 2023 9:38 am

+1

Norbert339

PostMon Nov 13, 2023 10:45 am

This would help a lot at DUB-ing old films.

JaysonX

PostSun Nov 19, 2023 3:53 am

Marc Wielage wrote: This is a very complex, difficult area, and people have been working on this for decades. And you're certainly not going to get it for free with a Resolve tool.

True... I guess we're stuck with vocalremover, which isn't bad at all as that dev did a great job. It'd have just been more convenient to be able to do offline.
Desktop | Version 18.5 | Ryzen 9 3950X | 64 GB RAM | RTX 5000 | Windows 10

Laptop | Version 18.5 | i7-9750H | 32 GB RAM | GTX 1650 | Windows 11

joselmartinezdiaz

PostMon Nov 20, 2023 6:06 pm

+ 1 . Should be a marvellous tool to extract ambience tracks for checkerboarding audio editing.

pavel.colorgrading

PostSun Jan 07, 2024 12:38 pm

+1
Such a feature will be very useful.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests