Pocket 6K Pro 2023 Purchase?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

thefilmaddict

Pocket 6K Pro 2023 Purchase?

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 12:43 am

As some of you know, I was looking for a good camera that I could travel with to shoot parts of a documentary with (and to also use as a b cam for interviews). I struggled and looked at a lot of different cameras. In the end, the Pocket 6K Pro turned out to be the camera I chose. As usual, I documented why I purchased the camera (pros and cons). I'm curious if you guys agree with my decision based on the strengths that I saw in this camera. This documentary is a labor of love (it's what I work on during my off time). I needed an affordable camera, that still delivered a really nice image.

Rakesh Malik

Re: Pocket 6K Pro 2023 Purchase?

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 6:43 am

It's still a great camera, and a bargain at twice the price.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

wemrick1

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 12:04 pm

It's a wonderful camera and I really enjoy mine. It is impossible for me to answer your question because the devil is in the details. For me those details center on ergonomics. As much as I like the 6KP, I can't get it to stabilize hand held. Again, that's me, "I" can't get a stable hand held shot with it. My grab and go, handheld has become the Canon C200. Between the articulating hand grip and the form factor I can press it into my side or shoulder or even use the evf and get stable shots. The dual pixel autofocus is a nice option to have on board. Now if I have the option of a tripod or monopod the 6KP is my preferred choice. I never know how a camera is going to fit in until I use it for awhile and it finds its spot.

thefilmaddict

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 1:05 pm

I hear you. I did some handheld tests the other day. I actually used the strap around my neck to help distribute the weight. I haven't looked at the footage yet, but hoping that if it is shaky, that gyro stabilization will do the trick.

wemrick1

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 1:52 pm

thefilmaddict wrote:I hear you. I did some handheld tests the other day. I actually used the strap around my neck to help distribute the weight. I haven't looked at the footage yet, but hoping that if it is shaky, that gyro stabilization will do the trick.

I've had good results with both gyro and perspective. I've seen videos where folks have done great with the 6KP handheld. I guess I'm just old an shaky especially when I can't keep my wrist locked.

pnguyen720

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 1:56 pm

If you need stabilization, the Canon EF-S 17-55 is the lens you want.

wemrick1

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 2:41 pm

pnguyen720 wrote:If you need stabilization, the Canon EF-S 17-55 is the lens you want.

That's what I'm using and I agree, it's a great lens.

Ellory Yu

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 5:21 pm

I will say that for now the Pockets are a good buy and it all depends on what you need them for. The Pocket 6K Pro is still very relevant and a great camera. I don't have it but I still enjoy my Pocket 6K OG in conjunction with the UMP G2 when in multicam mode. However, if you're watching the manufacturers, Canon, Sony, and Panasonic has been releasing new models. I think by April's NAB, we might just see a new camera from BlackMagic. I'm pretty optimistic as it is about time for something to cheer up the market.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

wemrick1

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 9:35 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:I will say that for now the Pockets are a good buy and it all depends on what you need them for. The Pocket 6K Pro is still very relevant and a great camera. I don't have it but I still enjoy my Pocket 6K OG in conjunction with the UMP G2 when in multicam mode. However, if you're watching the manufacturers, Canon, Sony, and Panasonic has been releasing new models. I think by April's NAB, we might just see a new camera from BlackMagic. I'm pretty optimistic as it is about time for something to cheer up the market.

Agree fully! The one that gets me is the BMPCC 4K. I use mine as much as any of my other cameras. It has also become my designated gimbal camera as well as it is small and light. The image you get for the cost is truly amazing. Not the in vogue word "amazing" that is used for everything but "truly amazing".

pnguyen720

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 1:59 am

For doc work, why not just get a Canon C200 so you have what you need?

Ellory Yu

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 6:07 am

pnguyen720 wrote:For doc work, why not just get a Canon C200 so you have what you need?

The C200 has been discontinued and no longer in the C series line of Canon Cine cams. However it is still available for purchase at most resellers. B&H and Adorama still Carrie’s it. The replacement lower end of the C series is the C70. Interestingly, the C70 is a Netflix approved camera while the C200 is not. That really doesn’t matter but just pointing it out. I think both of them are good cams for doc work.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 12:41 pm

I wouldn’t recommend the C200 for doc work when there are so many better alternatives. The raw files are too large for most doc work, yet the only other codec option on the camera is far too compressed. There’s no medium option on that camera with a good balance of data rate versus quality. The C70 is a better choice if you’re looking at smaller Canon options for doc work.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

wemrick1

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 1:03 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:I wouldn’t recommend the C200 for doc work when there are so many better alternatives. The raw files are too large for most doc work, yet the only other codec option on the camera is far too compressed. There’s no medium option on that camera with a good balance of data rate versus quality. The C70 is a better choice if you’re looking at smaller Canon options for doc work.

Not to start an argument, I find the C200 fits in well for what I do. Agreed, the file formats leave a big hole in-between but shooting 6K @ 5:1 on the BMPCC6KP is about the same file sizes. Using the C200 for 10 second B-roll shots I don't run into problems with a 256Gb Cfast card. Of course I'm not producing three hour presentations. Having said that, I got the C200 used in very good condition for a very good price. I would not have bought a new C200.

Jamie LeJeune

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 1:31 pm

I’m glad it is working for you. It’s great to have tools that do what we need.

IMHO the compression option best suited for most doc work on BMD cameras is Q5, rather than 5:1. It is a lower data rate than C200 raw and more efficient to process in post.

It’s also worth noting that the 6K Pocket sensor has 1.5 stops more dynamic range than the C200, and it records gyro data for post stabilization, both attributes useful for doc shooting.

A caveat with the 6K sensor is that scan rate, at about 19ms, is slower than I’d prefer.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

wemrick1

PostFri Feb 10, 2023 3:50 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:I’m glad it is working for you. It’s great to have tools that do what we need.

IMHO the compression option best suited for most doc work on BMD cameras is Q5, rather than 5:1. It is a lower data rate than C200 raw and more efficient to process in post.

It’s also worth noting that the 6K Pocket sensor has 1.5 stops more dynamic range than the C200, and it records gyro data for post stabilization, both attributes useful for doc shooting.

A caveat with the 6K sensor is that scan rate, at about 19ms, is slower than I’d prefer.

All good points to consider in a camera for sure. The feature that grabbed me was the dual pixel autofocus. When I'm following people or moving things handheld it really works out well. Now, if I'm doing a multi cam interview better bet I'm using BM cameras.

I've only used constant bit rate but that is going to change. I've seen you and enough others here speak well of the constant quality and I will be experimenting with that starting now.

Return to Cinematography