Help! Where are my projects?!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

westliang

Help! Where are my projects?!

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 8:09 pm

Hi -
Relative newbie here, have been using Resolve for about two years, but not consistently enough to remember all the details.

Anyway, I just opened the app this morning when it asked me to "update library," as I noticed that my usual database was not connected and my 15 projects were not visible. I removed the previous library (someone online suggested this), and I tried to reconnect it to my external HDD (where I thought it had been connected to), maybe I was wrong because my old projects didn't pop up! I looked up the iMac path, and didn't see old projects there either!

I didn't delete anything! They should all be somewhere, right?! There were about 15 projects in various stages. I know where I delivered the final outputs to, but can't find the original projects/timelines!

Please, please help, this is scary. I should've backedup, but the backing process didn't make sense because I didn't see my old projects to being with, upon starting the app.

I'm on Resolve 18, macOS Monterey.

Thx!

Steve Alexander

Re: Help! Where are my projects?!

PostFri Feb 03, 2023 9:36 pm

You aren't sure if the old database was on your external drive or internal drive, do I understand that correctly? You could try a search using Finder for a folder name of one of your projects (or even of a file named Project.db) just to see if you can locate some portion of the disk database. If you can find such a file or folder then at least you will have found some portion of the disk database. Go up from there a few folder levels until you find the Resolve Projects folder and that will be the location of your disk database. Then you can use the Resolve Project Manager to 'Add Library' > 'Connect' to browse to this Resolve Projects folder (or the folder above - I can't recall) and that should reveal your projects. You will need to provide a name for this library - it can be anything you want, but cannot already exist as another library.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

westliang

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 12:05 am

UPDATE:

Whew, I found it, my original library on my external HDD. Turns out I got a bit too cryptic/creative on my naming convention and wasn't able to spot it during my initial frenzied search. I am happy this happened, however, because I won't forget where/what it is from now on -- also, I had to connect to the grandparent folder on the file tree, so that took a minute to figure out.

Good reminder to do regular backups, as well, just need to build it into my routine. It just feels extraneous sometimes -- also, what am I backing up exactly, the library is simply files that direct the project to the source files, right? So the backup files should be very small? And once I backup, I can delete previous ones from HDD?

I just don't wanna to clutter up my HDDs with bunch of files I don't ever need/touch or know about, like extra backup files that are unnecessary, you know?

Advice? Thx!

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:28 am

And never trust anybody suggesting to delete a library or even mess with it in the Finder outside of DR.

Always leave libraries where they are. If you need to change them, use only commands from the Project Manager and let DR take care of it.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:59 am

Another example of the DB interface biting a new user.
Yes if he Read The FM he'd probably not have done whatever he did.
That's still doesn't make the current interface a good idea. It does bite people and sour them on Resolve.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

Marc Wielage

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 4:03 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:Yes if he Read The FM he'd probably not have done whatever he did.

That is sadly true.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Michel Rabe

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 10:03 am

There's another
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=175387
They won't stop popping up. And most users who run into trouble don't sign up to post here too.

So the veterans will have to keep helping out and telling them to RTFM until BMD make it more user friendly :)

Steve Alexander

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 2:11 pm

It's free software so it must be easy to use and intuitive to the point where a reference manual is unnecessary.

Seriously, though, it would be very useful to have a tutorial series specific to project management, backup, restoring and archiving including all the best practices employed by expert users. I have the same criticism of Avid Media Composer which makes project backup a bit tricky because of the way Avid mixes linked media with their own special brand of media storage (I'm referring to ingested media into the media database).

Topics to discuss would include operations where people need to move their projects to a new machine (a very common scenario) or wish to work between their laptop and desktop machines without necessarily using the cloud facility. Something that isn't discussed as often is how to backup all the little customizations one had performed on the UI such as layouts, custom keyboards mapping, macros (including Fusion macros) and so on. Everything you would need to reconstitute if you were moving to a new machine (or had to rebuild your current machine).
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

John Paines

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 2:20 pm

Uli Plank wrote:And never trust anybody suggesting to delete a library or even mess with it in the Finder outside of DR.

Always leave libraries where they are. If you need to change them, use only commands from the Project Manager and let DR take care of it.

There's nothing magical, sacred or opaque about a library, and the tools in the manager may not be adequate to correct all conditions.

For example, incremental backups which won't restore. They're in the designated folder, but the system won't or can't locate or see them. If your choice is between losing a week or month of work, or taking the momentous step of locating the project backup you want, removing the date/time stamp information, putting it in a folder and putting that into the Projects folder of the db, what do you do?

Or, you have a 500MB database on disk that you have no further need of. You're really going to let it set there forever, disconnected but ever-present, out of fear of deleting it with the OS?

Or you want to move a database to another disk. You really insist on creating a backup and then restoring it? How about just dragging it to the other disk and connecting?

Obviously all this is at one's own risk, but this living in fear of it can become a large inconvenience -- and contributes, I think, to the confusion here. If people actually looked at how libraries/databases are constructed, there might be less trouble.
Last edited by John Paines on Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Alexander

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 2:24 pm

westliang wrote:UPDATE:

Whew, I found it, my original library on my external HDD. Turns out I got a bit too cryptic/creative on my naming convention and wasn't able to spot it during my initial frenzied search. I am happy this happened, however, because I won't forget where/what it is from now on -- also, I had to connect to the grandparent folder on the file tree, so that took a minute to figure out.

Good reminder to do regular backups, as well, just need to build it into my routine. It just feels extraneous sometimes -- also, what am I backing up exactly, the library is simply files that direct the project to the source files, right? So the backup files should be very small? And once I backup, I can delete previous ones from HDD?

I just don't wanna to clutter up my HDDs with bunch of files I don't ever need/touch or know about, like extra backup files that are unnecessary, you know?

Advice? Thx!

Glad you found your library.
Backups is its own discussion. You can backup an entire library (which contains the current state of all your projects in that library) but this is usually only something you would do before upgrading to a new version of Resolve because Resolve will often update the library making it incompatible with the previous version of Resolve (and if you wanted to roll-back to the previous version you would need to restore the previous version of the library).

The other common backup is a DRP - an individual project. It is small and is performed on a per-project basis. One common approach is to create a 'Projects' folder alongside your project media (say the media on an external drive for example) and then on a daily basis you export a project backup (right-click on the project in the Resolve project manager) and export the project to that projects folder). Give it a name that includes the day-month-year (e.g., MyProject-04-02-2023) so that you can easily track each day you worked on a given project (could be useful for billing purposes).

You can also setup Resolve to perform live saves (the default, I believe) and also tell it to backup your project automatically to a folder on one of your drives. This could be used as an insurance against a crash throughout the day before you get around to writing your daily projects backup.

Marc has detailed some really great workflows for managing your projects and media in many of his replies and I wish those would be collected and posted as a sticky at the top of this forum. Good luck and let us know how you get on with this?
Time Traveller

Michel Rabe

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:36 pm

westliang wrote: -- also, I had to connect to the grandparent folder on the file tree, so that took a minute to figure out.

Of course it took a minute to figure out - because it makes no friggin' sense :)

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:41 pm

John Paines wrote:There's nothing magical, sacred or opaque about a library, and the tools in the manager may not be adequate to correct all conditions.
Obviously all this is at one's own risk, but this living in fear of it can become a large inconvenience -- and contributes, I think, to the confusion here. If people actually looked at how libraries/databases are constructed, there might be less trouble.

Agreed. BMD could also make it easier to find and connect to them by tweaking the names - how about a .drlib suffix for the folder that's the root of the library?
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3

Steve Alexander

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 3:48 pm

Michel Rabe wrote:
westliang wrote: -- also, I had to connect to the grandparent folder on the file tree, so that took a minute to figure out.

Of course it took a minute to figure out - because it makes no friggin' sense :)

Resolve could be smarter - it could search up and down the folder hierarchy until it locates what it needs as the starting point for its folder hierarchy. I always point to the folder that contains the 'Resolve Projects' subfolder.

It would be very useful if Resolve could be asked to scan the attached storage devices for libraries. As it is, the user must manage library locations (just like you would need to manage project locations in other NLEs). Lots of room for improvement here.
Time Traveller

John Paines

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 4:06 pm

Michel Rabe wrote:

I'm sorry, but it makes perfect sense. That "grandparent folder" is what contains the database. The problem is that the user in question didn't understand that fact. But the user in question also admits he didn't bother to read the manual.

Joe Shapiro wrote:Agreed. BMD could also make it easier to find and connect to them by tweaking the names - how about a .drlib suffix for the folder that's the root of the library?

Maybe, but at present, the user actually creates that folder (with the exception of the default library), either in advance of creating the library (you browse to the empty folder) or in the course of doing so after browsing to a disk location (you create "New Folder"), using the OS. What you're proposing would require an internal process. That might be a good thing, I don't know. But it's another complication. You can be sure there would be cries of horror if the process becomes even less transparent.

Steve Alexander wrote:I always point to the folder that contains the 'Resolve Projects' subfolder.

Well, you shouldn't. You want the root (top) folder, which for convenience and clarity should have the name of the database.

Michel Rabe

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 4:13 pm

Nah man :)

John Paines wrote:[
I'm sorry, but it makes perfect sense.

westliang

PostSat Feb 04, 2023 6:00 pm

2ND UPDATE:
(And thanks for these replies, helps a ton.)

OK, so that initial issue that caused all of this headache for me has returned -- and I don't know why! -- which is, upon startup, I'm greeted with this message:

"x project name" project library is not connected ...

WTF?! In the last two years, I've never seen this message before, and certainly not twice like this. Why is this happening? My library path should point to my external HDD, and my external HDD is connected.

Should I:

1) Remove this "disconnected" library;
2) Then "connect" to and "name" that very same library on my external HDD.

Yeah?

This is basically what I ended up doing this last time, which should work, but how do I prevent this from happening again (and again)? I don't think I've done anything different, and my external HDD is connected to my iMac upon startup.

Ugh. Thx!

I'm on DR 18, iMac OS Monterey.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 1:36 am

Steve Alexander wrote:It's free software so it must be easy to use and intuitive to the point where a reference manual is unnecessary.

Back in 2009, the Resolve 6 manual was only 303 pages long, and all it basically did was color-correct and deliver final color files. It's come a long way in 14 years. I actually started using Resolve 6 and 7 on real projects while occasionally glancing at the manual when on breaks or when the client wasn't looking... but I had had 15 years of using the older daVinci hardware/software combo, and it wasn't too much of a stretch beyond that. Starting from scratch, coming at Resolve from Ground Zero, would be pretty overwhelming for most people today.

Seriously, though, it would be very useful to have a tutorial series specific to project management, backup, restoring and archiving including all the best practices employed by expert users.

I had a conversation with the former head of Blackmagic Training who asked me to jot down some thoughts about "Best Practices" for color sessions, but as far as I know that idea never went anywhere.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Steve Alexander

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 1:44 am

John Paines wrote:
Steve Alexander wrote:I always point to the folder that contains the 'Resolve Projects' subfolder.

Well, you shouldn't. You want the root (top) folder, which for convenience and clarity should have the name of the database.

I'll have to check my Resolve system when I get a chance to verify what I point to, John. What you call a root (top) folder doesn't have any meaning as there is no requirement for that folder to be at the root of a volume or mount point. Let me check and correct my earlier post.

FWIW, I always create a folder, give it a meaningful name that I will also use as the library name and then let Resolve's Project Manager do the work of creating the subfolders to that location.

Update - Just checked and I was correct, John. Not sure if perhaps your read my statement incorrectly. The location of the library is the parent folder of the folder named 'Resolve Projects' - the parent folder contains the folder 'Resolve Projects'. Is that clearer?
Time Traveller

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 5:11 am

Just to clarify.

We don’t recommend putting the database on an external drive, particularly with an OS that can charge drive name arbitrary.

Leave the database on your system drive and use export/import if u plan using the same project elsewhere, or just use BMD cloud.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Noerde

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 7:46 am

westliang wrote:OK, so that initial issue that caused all of this headache for me has returned -- and I don't know why!

Because for some odd reason there's an urge to put the DB to an external drive. Do not do it.

Edit: As Peter above says, it's not recommended.

Michel Rabe

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 10:18 am

Noerde wrote: Because for some odd reason there's an urge to put the DB to an external drive. Do not do it..

That might be because people intuitively use a project structure that they know from literally any other software/app: chose a location of your own liking to save everything related to the project there.

The new database name "Project library" actually might encourage choosing external drives.

EDIT:
I don't know how Resolve for the iPad works but people will surely want to save everything externally there instead of using up the limited internal space.

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 4:11 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Just to clarify.

We don’t recommend putting the database on an external drive, particularly with an OS that can charge drive name arbitrary.

Leave the database on your system drive and use export/import if u plan using the same project elsewhere, or just use BMD cloud.

Hi Peter!
Can you elaborate on the why of this? I understand that, if the OS assigns a new drive letter or otherwise changes drive's mount path, that Resolve will no longer find the Library. That's clear and I can work with it. Are there other gotchas of which I'm not aware? Besides the cable getting yanked out of course.
Resolve 18.6.3

John Paines

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 4:15 pm

westliang wrote:2ND UPDATE:
(And thanks for these replies, helps a ton.)

OK, so that initial issue that caused all of this headache for me has returned -- and I don't know why! -- which is, upon startup, I'm greeted with this message:

"x project name" project library is not connected ...

WTF?!

An aging cable, disk, port, OS quirk, etc. could account for it. But if the db fails to connect, disconnect the orphaned entry and reconnect. If there's no compelling reason for this db to reside on external disk, put it on your system drive and you won't have this trouble.

westliang

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 7:42 pm

Again, thanks for these best practices ...

OK, I'll move my library/db to the system HD (was always under the assumption that an external solid-state HD would be ideal), BUT here's my question, Can I keep my source media on my external HDD and leave the library/project files on the system HD? only because my source files will just eat away a lot of space!

And any proxy files/rendered cache will also remain on system HD.

Is this doable? Obviously I'd have to make sure my HDD is connected to work on these projects!

(Also -- maybe I'll read the manual for this, but -- is an export and a backup the same thing?) Thx!

Steve Alexander

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 10:01 pm

Common practice is to have your source media on an external hard drive - a fast TB4 connection is ideal but not necessary. Your proxy media should be on a fast internal SSD where possible.

An export of a project is similar to a backup (they both contain the same information) but backups are something that can be setup to be automatically generated every so often (watch the BMD YouTube tutorial) while and export to a DRP file is something you can do in addition to basically take more control over snapshots of your work.

You can also backup your entire library which, as noted earlier in this thread, is useful prior to upgrading Resolve to a newer version, etc.
Time Traveller

Uli Plank

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 11:31 pm

He's on an iMac, Steve, so there's only one internal drive.

IMHO, you should keep everything but the database/library on external drives. Caches can run out of control and crash your system if you don't monitor space carefully. The system will always need 'room to breathe'.

The fastest drive should be for chases and proxies. For media, you don't even need an SSD if they are heavily compressed, like most H.264/265, but due to much better access times, an SSD would be snappier.

I don't know which iMac you have. If it's an older model with a Fusion drive, an experienced technician could take it apart. A good solution would be separating the Fusion drive, exchanging the small NVme drive with a bigger one for system, apps and database only and exchanging the HD with an SSD for caches, proxies, and stills. You'll be surprised how snappy it can become.

If it's already Apple silicon, get fast external drives.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

mdelahoussaye

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 12:10 pm

Hi all I am new to this forum, and new to DR. I have the M2 ipad pro 12.9 brand new, DR studio app and I have run into this database issue for teh first time.

My issue is that the DR folder that WAS on my ipad locally has disappeared.
I have not moved the folder, nor have I checked any boxes, or told DR in anyway to put files in a different locatuion to it's default.

I was working on a project a few days ago, I open my ipad this nmorning and the projects window is tellin gme that my local projects folder is disconnected. Upon going to my ipad files app and tapping "on my ipad" the folder named Davinci Resolve that was previously there, is no longer there :/

I cannot fathom as to why it has been deleted or removed, it doesn'yt reside in my recently deleted folder eitehr, I am just stumped as to where it has gone....

Can anyone shed some light??

Is this due to an update?

Many thanks

Ken.Rennie

PostMon Feb 13, 2023 3:57 am

+1

Steve Alexander wrote:UPDATE:
Marc has detailed some really great workflows for managing your projects and media in many of his replies and I wish those would be collected and posted as a sticky at the top of this forum. Good luck and let us know how you get on with this?

And Matthew, I feel for you, and hope someone here knows the answer.
- -
Because I have been asked this scores of times, this link explains how to access all the Resolve pages on iPads:
https://www.provideocoalition.com/unlock-all-the-resolve-for-ipad-pages/

Comments by BM’s Peter Chamberlain, included.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 13, 2023 10:32 am

on iPad, the default location when you install DaVinci Resolve, and where we recommend you leave it, is:

One My iPad, DaVinci Resolve, Resolve Project Library, Resolve Projects, Users, 'name', Projects, (all listed here), [Project.db]

see if your Project.db is there?
If so, you can copy any specific project.db to another project library.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Ken.Rennie

Projects and databases more generally

PostFri Feb 24, 2023 8:59 pm

I second the advice not to change or move anything outside of Resolve, if at all possible.

I consolidated all my music on a common Library folder on an external SSD, and in the process inadvertently moved (rather than copied) a music file which resided in a folder with all the other assets of one project.

Resolve couldn’t find it, even after I quit it and put a copy of the file back where it had been in the first place, and going through the whole reconnect media procedure.

Too, I have read (possibly here on the forum) that Resolve doesn’t can’t find files even if all attributes are the same, but the name has changed… which, if I recall correctly, even FCP 7 could do.
- -
Because I have been asked this scores of times, this link explains how to access all the Resolve pages on iPads:
https://www.provideocoalition.com/unlock-all-the-resolve-for-ipad-pages/

Comments by BM’s Peter Chamberlain, included.

westliang

PostSat Feb 25, 2023 12:20 am

FINAL UPDATE:

For the sake of closure (since I posted the initial question), I've done what's been advised, I've moved my entire library back to my system HD (while keeping my source files on my external HDD), and there's been no issue thus far.

So thanks for all the help!

(Another random issue, tho -- maybe I'll search more later -- but I've noticed that when I LINK my a/v assets on the timeline, and then when I click back on these assets individually, the red outlining doesn't wrap around all of the linked assets, like it used to do. Makes sense? Is this a random quirk? Not urgent, just annoying.)

And anyway, I've never worked with DR on iPad. Sorry.

Steve Alexander

PostSat Feb 25, 2023 3:00 pm

Suggestion - post that 'other random issue' in a separate thread and hopefully someone can help.
Time Traveller

Return to DaVinci Resolve