The ability to customise keys on Speed Editor

• Author

Vilkan

Re: The ability to customise keys on Speed Editor

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 11:09 pm

+1
I just got Speed Editor and it's great but I still have to use my mouse and keyboard for some shortcuts. It would be awesome to customize buttons.
• Windows 10 Pro | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core | 32GB RAM
• BMPCC 6k | Speed Editor

chrisedit

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 7:24 am

+1 for me and I don't even have it yet. My Speed Editor keyboard arrives in 2 days. I already know there are a bunch of keys I'll never use on it, especially the 9 for multi-cam.

I just don't understand how there's existing functionality within the software to re-map everything on a keyboard, but they can't do it for their own.

Their SE keyboard is sending something such as a high-ASCII character and then DR is interpreting that character and mapping it to an existing function.

It shouldn't be much effort at all to give us a view of the SE keyboard much how they give us a view of a regular keyboard so we can re-map its keys.

C'mon Blackmagic... please add this!

stereodan

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 12:38 am

+1. Please add! This is the difference between it being a professional piece of hardware or just a gimmick to get beginners to splurge on a toy.

Wanderer

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 9:40 am

+1 yes please. actually incomprehensible that this is not already offered ;)

PauliJ

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 6:00 pm

+1 for customizable cam buttons!
+1 to add double-tap the Trim In/Out buttons to ripple trim to playhead!
Please for Christmas

ejeroth

PostWed Feb 15, 2023 10:09 pm

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tekkerue

PostWed Feb 15, 2023 11:27 pm

+∞
;)
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

AssistantEditor1

PostThu Feb 16, 2023 11:43 am

+1

Blows my mind that Blackmagic lets us customize so much but puts arbitrary limits on their own hardware.

Michel Rabe

PostThu Feb 16, 2023 1:10 pm

+1

jamedia

PostThu Feb 16, 2023 1:18 pm

AssistantEditor1 wrote:+1

Blows my mind that Blackmagic lets us customize so much but puts arbitrary limits on their own hardware.

As I have mentioned several times. Resolve software has a keyboard remapping feature. The remapping of the Speed Editor could be done there with an additional dialouge and not require any hardware changes. I am not asking for the Speed Editor to work with other software just be more flexible with Resolve.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

AssistantEditor1

PostThu Feb 16, 2023 1:25 pm

jamedia wrote:

As I have mentioned several times. Resolve software has a keyboard remapping feature. The remapping of the Speed Editor could be done there with an additional dialouge and not require any hardware changes. I am not asking for the Speed Editor to work with other software just be more flexible with Resolve.

I think you misread my post somehow mate.

I’m saying it’s weird to me that they don’t let us customize the speed editor despite letting us customize almost everything else.

I want to map it how I want to.

jamedia

PostThu Feb 16, 2023 1:37 pm

AssistantEditor1 wrote:
jamedia wrote:

I think you misread my post somehow mate.

I’m saying it’s weird to me that they don’t let us customize the speed editor despite letting us customize almost everything else.

I want to map it how I want to.

I do understand. I think we sould be able to remap the keys. However as it seems BMD have gone to great lengths to obfuscate the signals between the SE and Resolve it is clear they don't want peoole using the SE on other software. Hence suggesting they can do the remapping in Resolve. Thus Resove users can remap the Speed Editor but not for other software so most people are happy. Which is, I think, as good as we can hope for.
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

radomir

PostThu Feb 16, 2023 10:41 pm

letting us customize almost everything else.
Big words :) There is A LOT of things, you cannot customise. Like, drag out preview window from UI for example. For people with much tracks this could be great deal. I had once 30+ tracks - synchronised takes in music clip. This would be helpful then.

AssistantEditor1

PostWed Feb 22, 2023 2:34 pm

It’s interesting how y’all decided to dissect my sentence like crazy when I’m just trying to fully endorse the idea of customization.

Friendly fire :shock:

Joe Shapiro

PostWed Feb 22, 2023 4:43 pm

It would be really helpful if people assumed goodwill from each post and replied from that headspace.
Thanks for trying to help!
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

AssistantEditor1

PostMon Feb 27, 2023 10:42 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:It would be really helpful if people assumed goodwill from each post and replied from that headspace.
Thanks for trying to help!

I’m with you mate.

I’ve never gotten attacked for agreeing with someone before!

Just to un-derail the thread:

Please make let us customize the speed editor BM!

It would really open up the device to different workflows and would not affect anyone who likes it as is.

Mart_Williams

PostSun Mar 05, 2023 1:42 pm

It's such a shame, the SE could be a much, much better bit of kit if only BMD opened up the ability to remap it. It's abundantly clear their customers want this, and BMD could do it if they wanted to. I've no doubt they'd sell massively more of those keyboards if they did, and they'd sell more kit higher up the food chain.

I wonder how many people buy the SE, get frustrated with its limited functionality, notice BMD refuse to open up any customisation and that then puts them off investing in any of BMD's more expensive products. It's not a good look.

I know mine tends to sit getting unused because I still have to have my normal keyboard and mouse to hand.

Come on BMD, listen to us, will you?

jamedia

PostSun Mar 05, 2023 2:02 pm

Mart_Williams wrote:I wonder how many people buy the SE, get frustrated with its limited functionality, notice BMD refuse to open up any customisation and that then puts them off investing in any of BMD's more expensive products. It's not a good look.

100% agree. I have Resolve Studio (because I got a free SE with it ) Also a couple of other small BMD video adaptors and the ATEM mini. However my experience with BMD over the SE and the ATEM Mini means I won't be investing any serious money in any other BMD kit.

With the ATME Mini a lot bought it and hit the forum with some much beeded modifications it needed. Mostly software changes. BMD fixed them with a new model not a firmware update!

With the SE there are several very easy to do updates and BMD just doesn't listen. On the SE the key remaping could be done in Resolve Studio as the other key mapping is done. I would not even need s firmare change.

So I am very unlikely to buy any more BMD kit untill their way of working changes. Which is a pity as they have some great, if flawed, kit.
www.JAmedia.uk

Michel Rabe

PostSun Mar 05, 2023 3:19 pm

Unused here, too. Would not if keys were assignable. So close yet so far, sigh.

jamedia

PostSun Mar 05, 2023 4:04 pm

Michel Rabe wrote:Unused here, too. Would not if keys were assignable. So close yet so far, sigh.

I use the jog wheel and a few buttons but I think I could use it a lot more if the main block of cam keys could be re-asigned for something useful..... In all the wrangleing in several threads about the SE only one ot two people have said they use multiple cameras. 98% say they are a waste of space. Then nearly 25% of the keys are pointles for 98% of users you would think BMD would do something about it.
www.JAmedia.uk

Mart_Williams

PostSun Mar 05, 2023 5:23 pm

jamedia wrote:
Michel Rabe wrote:Unused here, too. Would not if keys were assignable. So close yet so far, sigh.

I use the jog wheel and a few buttons but I think I could use it a lot more if the main block of cam keys could be re-asigned for something useful..... In all the wrangleing in several threads about the SE only one ot two people have said they use multiple cameras. 98% say they are a waste of space. Then nearly 25% of the keys are pointles for 98% of users you would think BMD would do something about it.

Makes you wonder what sort of user research they've done when they designed this thing and what they've done since...If they've not done any, then clearly they should, and if they have, it doesn't look like they listened!

jamedia

PostSun Mar 05, 2023 6:20 pm

Mart_Williams wrote:Makes you wonder what sort of user research they've done when they designed this thing and what they've done since...If they've not done any, then clearly they should, and if they have, it doesn't look like they listened!

I have a feeling, having seen them at the BSC Expo last week, that their traditional users now make up a very small part of their current user base. (A bit like Mac Pro users and Apple. ) BMD seel to be talking to the "Hollywood" people doing BIG films whilst their main userbase now seems to be youtubers and small porduction teams. If you look at the history of Resolve you can see how fact the change has occured.
www.JAmedia.uk

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Mar 05, 2023 11:21 pm

jamedia wrote:
Mart_Williams wrote:Makes you wonder what sort of user research they've done when they designed this thing and what they've done since...If they've not done any, then clearly they should, and if they have, it doesn't look like they listened!

I have a feeling, having seen them at the BSC Expo last week, that their traditional users now make up a very small part of their current user base. (A bit like Mac Pro users and Apple. ) BMD seel to be talking to the "Hollywood" people doing BIG films whilst their main userbase now seems to be youtubers and small porduction teams. If you look at the history of Resolve you can see how fact the change has occured.

yeah... "hollywood" people are at the bottom of the totem pole now, understandably, if you think about it, how many panels/systems we will buy from now on? 1? 10? 100?

they can do an IPAD version for 100$ and sell 1 million of those licenses....
Last edited by waltervolpatto on Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

jamedia

PostMon Mar 06, 2023 8:58 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
jamedia wrote:

yeah... "hollywood" people are at the bottom of the totem pole not, understandably, if you think about it, how many panels/systems we will buy from now on? 1? 10? 100?

they can do an IPAD version for 100$ and sell 1 million of those licenses....

I Agree that the "Hollywood" people will spend a LOT per company n HW panels and cameras. However, there are not many of them compared to the millions of new customers BMD will have. Make no mistake, YouTubers will buy BMD cameras, ATEMS, and other BMD kit. This is who the Speed Editor is aimed at.

This is why I mentioned the Mac Pro users and Apple. Mac Pro's https://www.apple.com/uk/mac-pro/ are expensive and used by all the power users and professionals. Then Apple chased the iPhone and Macbook users more style than power. Yes these users spend a Lot less than MAC Pro users but there are millions more of them. Overall, the profitability of the non-mac pro users has become very small compared to the rest.

It will be the same with BMD, the smaller outfits won't be spending $250,0000 with BMD, probably £1000-20,000 but there are many times more of them than the Hollywood users. Going digital, and modern electronics in general has changed the game completely.

How many seats of resolve were sold at £100,000? Since Resolve went under $1000 I believe the number of users is over 2 million. So BMD needs to talk to the smaller production outfits buying the BMD kit because there are many many more of those users than their traditional "hollywood" market.
www.JAmedia.uk

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Mar 08, 2023 5:08 am

Yep Chris, we are on the same page.... Volumes will dictate the marketing, not "Hi-end clients".
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

jamedia

PostWed Mar 08, 2023 9:53 am

waltervolpatto wrote:Yep Chris, we are on the same page.... Volumes will dictate the marketing, not "Hi-end clients".

Actually I think the problem is that for reasons of history BMD is still talking to a few high-end users that spend a lot of money each (but are few in number) and not properly engaging with the fairly new horde YouTubers and small users. (who spend less each but are vast in number)
I think it is going to take a while.

We have already seen things like Databases being renamed "libraries" as I think a lot of Resolve users (like myself) have jumped from FCPX.
Whilst the old guard may be dismayed at this, their world is also changing, and the two groups will largely come together in time as the technology and working practices progress. It will be frustrating for both for a while until it all settles down.

That said, I still want customizable keys. IT should be possible to remap them in resolve without changing the speed editor firmware. Though, the ability to turn off the blue tooth needs to be in the firmware.
www.JAmedia.uk

PaggleSnuss

PostWed Mar 08, 2023 9:08 pm

+1

ASimpleLife

PostTue Mar 21, 2023 6:32 am

+1
This is a win win for the DR design team they build credit with the community and more folks will be willing to fork over the extra $$$ now the SE's not free.

Or they could just ignore the users and someone will figure a way to Hack it the rest of the way lol

I have been working with control pads for the last 20years. Logitech has made some for gaming that I have used, 3Dconnections has some very nice ones that I have used, but every one has had some wiggle room for the user to be them self. If the SE is meant for the Cut tab then let us customize the keys for the other windows. I mean folks have gone out of their way to find ways to use it outside of DR... People love the product now its time to make it a little better... Even Apple now has a stylus... Steve Jobs once said they would never make one. Blackmagic is killing the market right now, there are only going to be more folks want to use the products... Just think did Adobe or Apple every think DR would be kicking there ass with the new generation of video editors? NO but they got lazy and thought they could ignore issues. I don't think this is a make or break issue for BM, but after reading the forums for the last few hours I see a real lack of Blue post around this and it came up on almost every review of the SE and Keyboard I saw.

Sam Walker

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 12:59 pm

Agree with everyone about BMD focusing a lot on large studios, which they should for a number of things, especially the high end hardware. That focus is what's leading to the changes in Resoove that have been so incredible, like the noise reduction/elimination in the pro version when some one is speaking. So in that respect, I'm glad they work with the studios. Hope they keep it up.

However . . . . that being said, I agree that they should consider the content creators out there. That market grew like crazy the last couple of years and will continue to grow. And the free version of Resolve will draw them in. Heck I was using Vegas POST, and because of the Magix policy where you have to pay for an upgrade service after 12 months to be able to download even Patches for your current version, I got fed up and switched to Resolve. In my opinion, the free version of Resolve was better than the pay for version of POST. So you will see more people like me switching. Heck the number of Premier users announcing the switch is growing too. These are all content creators that have small or in home studios. BMD need to listen to them too.

Now, onto the customizable keys. I'm wondering if they didn't want to create competition for their own editor keyboard. If so, I understand that. But at least let the users assign shortcuts to say cam keys 4-9.

Many of us do only 2 or 3 camera shoots because we, mostly, don't own that many cameras to begin with. Giving us 6 additional keys is NOT going to make the SE a direct competitor to the full editing keyboard, but will make a lot of end users VERY happy.

And to be honest, if a content creator got the studio Edition with a camera, a $150 3rd party keyboard and a Tourbox NEO makes more sense than the BM editing keyboard anyway. The Tourbox is not going to match the ease of use of the speed editor, however. That's why I bought one when I wanted the Studio version of the software. Resolve Studio + the Speed editor was a better buy than paying for Studio and a Tourbox. The youtube reviews convinced me the $100 additional cost over the price of the software alone was more than well worth it.

So keeping those perspectives on not competing with the full editing keyboard in mind, it would only increase the willingness of users to buy the speed editor if we even had a LIITLE bit of customization.
Last edited by Sam Walker on Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 5:30 am

I understand most will want complete flexibility, but please humor me, please list what current keyboard shortcut functions you would like on the multicam keys.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Tekkerue

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 6:27 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:I understand most will want complete flexibility, but please humor me, please list what current keyboard shortcut functions you would like on the multicam keys.
Wow, this is very encouraging! Thanks Peter.

I would love the ability to move up/down tracks to change which clips are being edited with the jog wheel when editing across multiple tracks on the Edit page. I'm not sure if there is currently a shortcut for this, when I'm editing with the keyboard and mouse I just select the edit with the mouse so I don't need to use a shortcut. But this would be extremely valuable for editing with the Speed Editor.

While the jog wheel is awesome, getting one frame increments can take too much finesse and it'd be more convenient to have buttons for one frame increments for the basic functions like move forward/backward and nudge forward/backward which could be combined with the trim, roll, slip buttons or separated out without needing to use modifier keys.

Thanks again.

Mbeare

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 7:17 am

+1
Gigabyte Aero D | Intel 13900K 5.3GHz AIO | 128GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance | RTX 4090 Drivers 551.23 | 2x 4TB Firecuda 1x 8TB MP600 System, Cache & Working.

Micro & Mini Panel
Decklink Studio 4K E12G(12.5.1)
Resolve 18.6.2B2
Windows 11 10.0.22631

Andy Mees

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 8:35 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:I understand most will want complete flexibility, but please humor me, please list what current keyboard shortcut functions you would like on the multicam keys.

Timeline Zoom In and Zoom Out... but I'd rather see it implemented using a Jog wheel modifier
Go To In and Go To Out ... but they'd be better implemented via In and Out key modifiers
Next Clip and Previous Clip ... again, may be more usefully implemented via In and Out key modifiers
Track Patch / Lock / Auto Select ... these could all work via the Multicam keys

... but as you noted, it would be far far preferable for everyone if you would allow this keypad section as a user definable area, ideally with the ability to map separately for single press, double press and long press,

Other users have suggested adding the ability to use the Mulicam keys as modifiers to use the Jog Wheel to control basic Inspector panel parameters eg hold Cam 8 and jog to adjust the top of crop, cam 4 for left, cam 6 for right, cam 2 for bottom, or click and hold cam 7 and jog to slow down a clip or click and hold cam 9 and jog to speed up a clip in % increments... similar to the mark change colour wheel, that could be used to press-hold one of the keys and jog to select a function.

Also, while we're here, please enable the use of the Video Only and Audio Only buttons in Edit Page

Tekkerue

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 8:55 am

Andy Mees wrote:Timeline Zoom In and Zoom Out... but I'd rather see it implemented using a Jog wheel modifier
Yes, it would be great to have Ctlr/Shift/Alt + jog wheel for navigation in the same way the mouse wheel works. That might be out of the scope of Peter's question, but it's certainly worth mentioning. :)

Michel Rabe

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 9:06 am

From top of my head:

- Ripple Trim to playhead (!)
- holding down a key switches jog wheel to become timeline zoom in/out
- move playhead in 1 frame increments

jamedia

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 12:06 pm

I think if you ask 100 people, you will get 101 answers.
If you put the remapping in the keyboard remapping section of Resolve them, people will have more choice depending on what they want to do.
Some want to use the SE on the edit page, others on the Fairlight page. IT depends on what BMD want to do.

I know that BMD has panels for Fairlight but the entry level one is 10x the cost of my 12 channel mixer and for my use audio is not a big thing. (usually 1 lot stereo music, up to 4 mics + occasional sound effects) so using the SE on Fairlight as some as asked for is a good idea as these people, like me won't be buying any Fairlight panels anyway. Ditto colour page.

One thing I do want for the SE is the ability to turn off the Bluetooth (via USB) until i turn it back on (again via USB) so that the Bluetooth is permanently off when in transit or not connected to USB. The failure to do this is a major design error.
www.JAmedia.uk

AssistantEditor1

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 9:43 am

Michel Rabe wrote:

From top of my head:

- Ripple Trim to playhead (!)
- holding down a key switches jog wheel to become timeline zoom in/out

Absolutely. I think most everyone would love ripple trim to playhead being available.
Holding down a key for track height up/down would be great as well.

I also find myself reaching for the keyboard/mouse for:

- the up/down arrow keys to jump to edit points around the timeline quickly.
- shift+I/o to jump to in/out points
- set duration marker from in/out points
- swap timeline/source viewer
- match frame
- destination track selection
- auto track select buttons

I agree with the sentiment that most people’s needs are going to be very different so ideally just opening it up to be fully customizable would be the dream.

jamedia

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 10:17 am

AssistantEditor1 wrote:I agree with the sentiment that most people’s needs are going to be very different so ideally just opening it up to be fully customizable would be the dream.

Fully customizable would be a dream but probably not going to happen as BMD want to, quite understandably, chain the SE to Resolve.
I would settle for the 9 cam keys to be changeable. That would give standardization between all SE's for 4 banks of keys.
What would also be a Good Idea(tm) is a set of 2part customizable replacement key caps that can have custom legends.
www.JAmedia.uk

studio1492

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 4:12 pm

Maybe sounds crazy, but a Shift or Fn key will be so useful(despite this is hardware) for alternate uses of the other keys. So multiple functions can be assigned to the same key, appart of double tapping.

A compbination of Alt + Shift will exponentially (x4) increase the functions available without moving the wrist, gaining ergonomics and without removing the eyes from the screen.

Perhaps this may happen on a future hardware Speed Editor Mk2 revision,
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

MaxFilms

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 9:52 am

Tekkerue wrote:
I would love the ability to move up/down tracks to change which clips are being edited with the jog wheel when editing across multiple tracks on the Edit page. I'm not sure if there is currently a shortcut for this

Yes, there is. Option/Alt + up and down arrows

MaxFilms

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 10:01 am

Thank you so much for listening to us.

Of course, like the others said, fully customizable would be the best, as a lot of people will want to have different shortcuts, but the most important for me are:

- ripple trim to playhead
- jump to in and out
- enable/disable clip
- go 1 frame left/right
- go 1 clip left/right
- nudge 1 frame left/right
- match frame

I agree with others on having a zoom button working with the jog wheel would be amazing.

p.sudakovs

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 12:36 pm

- J K L functionality (including holding down K and pressing J / L for single frame advance)
- select clip above/below in timeline
- move clip to track above or below in timeline
- enable/disable clip
- match frame
- go 1 frame left/right
- go 1 clip left/right
- toggle screening mode for the selected clip between normal and preset one like difference

^ this would aid in QC for my needs

more while here, nasa level 9000:
custom global macros that I can have for any program and use Alt+tab and so on.... this would be totally epic

most of these suggestions I already passed to BMD team at the 2022 IBC in Amsterdam...

another upgrade that I would love to see is a different speed editor with the jog that has per-frame clicking, think contour shuttle pro controller :mrgreen: as I work with frames and the existing one does not offer any feedback.... maybe two modes - pressed down for per frame and depressed for the existing method or something like this. now I purchase contour and skipp the speed editor because of the macro and per-frame feedback. with these updates - I would not have any need to have contour. also two controllers are not ergonomic to have.

ShaheedMalik

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 12:30 am

Here is one concerning the Live Overwrite:

Ale_Zakko wrote:Hello my friends. I'm falling in love with this new Speed Editor keyboard! :) My primary works are on classical concert and corporate meeting. I would like to suggest the possibility to add a feature to use the speed editor as live cut mixer on cut/edit page, as you can do with a classic keyboard on edit page on a compound multicam clip (just press play and in real time, add cuts when i press cam1 cam2 cam3 etc, without stop playhead)... Many thanks!

It's basically the ability to write and switch between cameras by pressing the camera key in real time without having to paint them on. This will help with music video editing.

CruzDann

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 5:50 pm

For years people have been asking for this. We hope Blackmagic listens. Hello? Everyone there?

CruzDann

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 6:23 pm

YES, please!
Jeremy Gadd wrote:I'd like to be able to assign shortcuts. For example, I'm not using the 9 cam buttons so I'd like to be able to use Cam 1 as Previous Edit or next marker etc.

Michel Rabe

PostSat Apr 08, 2023 8:34 am

CruzDann wrote:We hope Blackmagic listens. Hello? Everyone there?

There is.

I take that as a good sign.

jamedia

PostSat Apr 08, 2023 8:55 am

Michel Rabe wrote:

There is.

It is the best sign we have had in a long while, but...... You know BMD. Lot of requests for XYZ and they give you VWX. Case in point, the ATEM mini. Lot of people bought it and pointed out tweaks and a few important missing features. BMD listened and added the features to a new model with no FW patches to the original. So all those who had the ATEM Mini were left high and dry. Worse the new Pro model has been discounted down to the price of the original which was discontinued. Meaning the only option to those of use who bought the ATEM Mini is to buy new hardware, and the original kit is all but worthless.

So whilst it is encouraging, I think the jury is out until we see the actual "solution". Don't be surprised if the solution is a Speed Editor "Pro" with customizable keys and no change to the current SE
www.JAmedia.uk

ASimpleLife

PostMon Apr 17, 2023 10:45 am

Thanks you so much for replying I really didn't think any one was evening reading the forums!!! lol

I currently use a Tartarus for editing in my left hand but I love what the SE has done to my work flow with the new changes coming in 18.5 it would be great to have an update to SE as well.

Here is what I would map to the keys
Cam1=command(i'm on mac)
Cam2=z (z= zoom to fit, ⇧z = zoom in, ⌘z=undo, ⌘⇧z = redo)
Cam3=x (x= copy, ⇧x= zoom out, ⌘x=paste, ⌘⇧x = cut)
Cam4=Shift
Cam5=a (a= fast forward, ⇧a= mark selection, ⌘a=fast reverse ,⌘⇧a = deselect all)
Cam6=s (s= enable clip, ,⌘⇧s = save project as)
Cam7=w (w= start to playhead, ⇧w= trim start⌘w=??? ,⌘⇧w = save project as)
Cam8=e (e= fast forward, ⌘e=??? , ⌘⇧e = ???)
Cam9=r (r= end to playhead, ⇧r= trim end, ⌘r=??? ,⌘⇧r = ???)

this is just a start it would change but this is the freedom those 9 keys could give to the user's. some of those may over lap with whats on the SE now but I have only had the SE for a month and I'm still learning all the shortcuts. but I have been using control surfaces for years and they are really powerful!!! The SE has some really amazing functions built in! its just needs some flexibility for the user.

ASimpleLife

PostMon Apr 17, 2023 10:51 am

jamedia wrote:
Michel Rabe wrote:

There is.

It is the best sign we have had in a long while, but...... You know BMD. Lot of requests for XYZ and they give you VWX. Case in point, the ATEM mini. Lot of people bought it and pointed out tweaks and a few important missing features. BMD listened and added the features to a new model with no FW patches to the original. So all those who had the ATEM Mini were left high and dry. Worse the new Pro model has been discounted down to the price of the original which was discontinued. Meaning the only option to those of use who bought the ATEM Mini is to buy new hardware, and the original kit is all but worthless.

So whilst it is encouraging, I think the jury is out until we see the actual "solution". Don't be surprised if the solution is a Speed Editor "Pro" with customizable keys and no change to the current SE

If that is the solution it will really turn a lot of folks off!

Michel Rabe

PostMon May 08, 2023 8:56 pm

jamedia wrote:Don't be surprised if the solution is a Speed Editor "Pro" with customizable keys and no change to the current SE

Yeah that would p*** me off indeed. But I still have faith :)
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests