Zoom, Skype, Facebook show black screen - Intensity Pro 4k

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

spark.sx

Zoom, Skype, Facebook show black screen - Intensity Pro 4k

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 1:29 pm

Hi, just purchased a Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k to hook my GH5 into. It works fine in VMix and OBS and BMD Media Express, but a lot of different applications don't work.

- Zoom shows only a black screen for both Blackmagic WDM Service and Decklink
- Skype shows black screen for Blackmagic WDM service
- Facebook messenger can't find any camera
- Chrome detects device but shows it as unusable

I didn't know support for this device would be so sub-par. A $40 device I had before this was a bit buggy when turning off and on, but generally worked fine. I purchased the Blackmagic device to be done with it and have a professional solution.

Instead, I have been trying for about 8 hours to get this working, as I now have to spend most of my time in online meetings (many of which I record as content).

What I've already tried:

- going through all settings on camera and Desktop Video and make sure that it outputs same format from start through finish. Tried 1080p@25 and 1080p@24.
- updated all drivers and software to latest versions
- a registry fix that was suggested somewhere that had no influence

One hint:
- If Vmix is already using the camera, Zoom and Skype will show a gray image - probably because of a hardware access issue because the camera is already in use.

What else can I try so that this investment is not mostly useless?
Last edited by spark.sx on Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

Re: Zoom, Skype and Messenger don't work

PostMon Mar 30, 2020 10:33 pm

for messenger its better BMD web presenter or ATEM MINI .. it looks as USB webcam .. No drivers needed .. Its hardware specially for you ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

spark.sx

Re: Zoom, Skype and Messenger don't work

PostWed Apr 01, 2020 9:42 pm

Why are there solutions under $100 for gamers that work with my camera, but not one double the price? Why would I need a solution of $500?

My question is why this device is not working, not how to spend more on a new device.

I find it puzzling that I'm considering switching back to my crappy $40 gamer device with HDMI input because that would probably work better than this $200 device from a supposed A-list brand. I just don't understand the logic here.

KrispyMedia

Re: Zoom, Skype, Facebook show black screen - Intensity Pro

PostTue Apr 21, 2020 5:39 pm

Same issue here ZOOM wont recognize the my A7sii plugged in via HDMI and the capure card. I should've gotten an elgato. Sorry for wanting a cable-less experience on mac lol.

badatvideo

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 10:30 pm

Having the same issue on windows 10. Confirmed working in Media Express. Zoom shows options for both Decklink Capture and WDM Capture. Neither work. I tried every setting variation I could find in zoom, nothing worked. Tired every output setting on my camera. 1080, 720 even 540 at 24, 30, and 60 changed nothing. Spent 3 hours messing with settings and looking online and found nothing. Wish I had done more research before purchasing. Lesson learned, unless someone has already posted a proven workflow using your exact setup do not buy.

badatvideo

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 1:01 am

Why this is less that an idea solution. A work around is to use vMix If you can get vmix to recognize the video from the card you can set it to a virtual output which zoom can recognize. I couldnot get audio working but it might be possible with more testing.

Best of luck.

spark.sx

PostMon May 11, 2020 11:36 am

Thanks for your comment badatvideo. Glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this, very bummed that support for this is so lacking.

If anyone knows a brand that works I would gladly like to hear about it. Please everyone avoid Intensity Pro 4k because it is misleading - it is not a pro product.

spark.sx

PostMon May 11, 2020 11:48 am

badatvideo wrote:Why this is less that an idea solution. A work around is to use vMix If you can get vmix to recognize the video from the card you can set it to a virtual output which zoom can recognize. I couldnot get audio working but it might be possible with more testing.

Best of luck.

Holy crappers. I thought I had already tried this, but it turns out you have to TURN ON the external output in VMix before it works. And voila - I'm getting a picture for the first time!

I will fool around with it more. But thanks for getting me ahead with this frustrating problem!

Michael Tiemann

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 12:17 pm

I had the same problem, but couldn't get either Zoom or Blackmagic interested in a solution.

I had the brilliant idea of reproducing the problem in DaVinci Resolve, using Resolve Live and/or the ADR feature of Fairlight (in Resolve). After a few emails back and forth, Blackmagic confirmed to me that yes, it was extremely annoying that my Decklink 8K card, which the system recognizes as a valid audio input, cannot be used to deliver audio to Resolve (or any other application that wants audio, except for BlackMagic Design's Media Express app.

Why the MediaExpress app works and nothing else does is another interesting question, but until Blackmagic sorts out how to make audio pass to the OS for use by CoreAudio (or AudioMidi), it's no use.
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

HansenJC

PostTue Mar 07, 2023 12:47 pm

Has this issue ever really been solved by BlackMagic? I also get a black screen with a Canon M50 II and am unable to do Zoom conferencing without resorting to using the USB output. At this point the BlackMagic Intensity capture card was a complete waste of money.
I am not one to "TRY" dozens of settings. I really expect BlackMagic to simply tell us what settings to use if they are that fussy.
Please do not offer "guesses".
I have seen someone say that they got it to work with vMix. Is this the solution that everyone is using? And what exactly is vMix anyway?
Again, here is my hardware:
Canon M50 II
BlackMagic Intensity (not the Pro version, not 4K)
Windows 11
Zoom
Camtasia

HansenJC

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 6:20 pm

Thinking that the older version of Intensity Pro was the issue, I purchased the Intensity Pro 4K and I experience this issue with Camtasia: I am unable to access the BlackMagic capture card due to an error in Camtasia. This new card works well with Zoom and OBS Studio. I would think that by now, Blackmagic would find a way to create a driver that would be universal and allow Camtasia to recognize it directly.
Does anyone have a solution that does not require a second software to be used as a virtual camera to feed Camtasia with the output from the Blackmagic Intensity pro 4K capture card?

Return to Live Production