A new BMPCC with E-mount?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Piiba_Manetta

A new BMPCC with E-mount?

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 1:54 pm

Hi all, first post here.
I own a BMPCC4K that i use with a metabones speedbooster and canon lenses.
From a couple of year, i also own various Sony camera that i use for both photo and video purpose.
I'm building up more and more Sony E-mount lenses, this beacuse of the incredible versatility of Sony cameras in both photo and video scenario.

Problem is, and i don't think i'm the only one, i need to keep 2x optics to begin able to keep using my BMPCC. And this is starting to became very costly.
So much that is was thinking to sell all my canon lenes and my blackmagic to switch to a Sony cinema camera (like the FX30).
However... i love the look and feel of the BMPCC, and the braw is sooooo good to edit, considering i use Resolve. The Sony files instead, are painful to work with, even with high end computer due the lack of an hardware h264 422 10bit decoder.

So i was wandering... why blackmagic don't produce a BMPCC with reduced flange distance and E-mount?
Nowadays, basically every videomaker have Sony camera.
Entering in that market could be a clever option, no?

Uli Plank

Re: A new BMPCC with E-mount?

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 9:42 pm

Too expensive to be sued.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ellory Yu

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 9:45 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Too expensive to be sued.

:lol: like your response and it’s just the plain truth.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

ricardo marty

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 11:35 pm

Sony does not license its mount but sigma has an adapter for ef to sony e.

Ricardo Marty
Last edited by ricardo marty on Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

John Brawley

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 10:40 pm

Piiba_Manetta wrote:
So i was wandering... why blackmagic don't produce a BMPCC with reduced flange distance and E-mount?

Because only Sony can make a CAMERA with E-Mount.

They are fine with LENSES made by others that are E-MOUNT, as long as you don't make a CAMERA.

BMD need a new mount for mirrorless and larger sensor sizes...., but the options are limited. L mount is likely to be the path as it already exists and is the only one that MIGHT be possible....or they make their own...

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Henchman

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 4:11 am

Piiba_Manetta wrote:Hi all, first post here.
I own a BMPCC4K that i use with a metabones speedbooster and canon lenses.
From a couple of year, i also own various Sony camera that i use for both photo and video purpose.
I'm building up more and more Sony E-mount lenses, this beacuse of the incredible versatility of Sony cameras in both photo and video scenario.

Problem is, and i don't think i'm the only one, i need to keep 2x optics to begin able to keep using my BMPCC. And this is starting to became very costly.
So much that is was thinking to sell all my canon lenes and my blackmagic to switch to a Sony cinema camera (like the FX30).
However... i love the look and feel of the BMPCC, and the braw is sooooo good to edit, considering i use Resolve. The Sony files instead, are painful to work with, even with high end computer due the lack of an hardware h264 422 10bit decoder.

Nowadays, basically every videomaker have Sony camera.
Entering in that market could be a clever option, no?

No. Not every videomaker has a sony camera.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0972296/

Ellory Yu

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 6:12 am

I would like to see BMD makes an L mount that can be used on the URSA Mini lines and BMPCC 6K as an option, not necessarily a new BMPCC with an L-mount unless it has other features like 8K, etc.

I just also posted of how about a EF to L mount lens adapter. Does anything like this exist already?
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 6:23 am

Sure. Sigma has an electronic one and K&F Concept (for example) a dumb tube.
If the one by Sigma works as well as my EF->E version, it's a very good solution.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ellory Yu

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 2:15 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Sure. Sigma has an electronic one and K&F Concept (for example) a dumb tube.
If the one by Sigma works as well as my EF->E version, it's a very good solution.

The Sigma is for an EF lens to L-mount cameras. What I am looking for is a L mount lens to EF cameras. I don’t think it exist as Roger M pointed out in another post that the flange distance may be too short for it.

Henchman

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 2:30 pm

Ellory Yu wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:Sure. Sigma has an electronic one and K&F Concept (for example) a dumb tube.

The Sigma is for an EF lens to L-mount cameras. What I am looking for is a L mount lens to EF cameras. I don’t think it exist as Roger M pointed out in another post that the flange distance may be too short for it.

That won't ever exist because of the flange distance.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0972296/

Return to Cinematography