Ctrl z not working for grading actions,

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

aquinox

• Warnings: 1

Ctrl z not working for grading actions,

PostSat Dec 28, 2019 10:13 pm

Thanks to the color tab unwantedly choosing the adjustment layer instead of the selected clip when in edit mode, my grade is screwed. Ctrl Z is not working. Thanks for fixing!
AMD3700x
32GB DDR4
RTX2060 super
SSD
Win10

Time wasted due to resolve bugs: 38 hours (and counting.. just used for 6 months)
Time wasted due to Premiere bugs: 108 hrs (final)

Marc Wielage

Re: Ctrl z not working for grading actions,

PostMon Dec 30, 2019 9:29 am

I think Adjustment Layers are a last resort for a session. My advice would be to not use them unless you had some specific overall thing you needed to apply in addition to what was already done in the Color page.

Note you can always do the equivalent of an adjustment-layer correction as a Timeline Grade, and you can also keyframe it if necessary. I do this all the time to add a letterbox or positional change for an entire feature, while leaving bars, slates, countdown and so on unaffected.

If you want to troubleshoot this, you could check under Edit History and see if the Adjustment Layer changes are listed there. If they're not, then you can't Undo them. If they ARE listed, then they should be just as Undoable as any Edit change.
Last edited by Marc Wielage on Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Charles Bennett

PostMon Dec 30, 2019 11:12 am

There is a possible problem in that if you have a clip selected in the Color page, go to the Edit page and then back to the Color page, it changes the selected clip to the Adjustment layer.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

jellerbrake

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 10:17 pm

This is such a frustrating feature. I had an adjustment layer with a print film look above my whole project. I added a new clip beneath, went to color it, and the color tab automatically selected the adjustment layer. Even though I was seeing the new clip in the monitor for my color tab. Then my whole project's grade changed, I panicked and quit resolve, and was unable to Undo. I wish I could select a clip in my timeline and have it stay selected when I move into Color.

Jim Simon

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 3:32 pm

jellerbrake wrote:I wish I could select a clip in my timeline and have it stay selected when I move into Color.
A lot of folks are confused by this at first. Here's how things work.

1. When you switch pages, the playhead does not move. (This is good.)

2. Going into Fusion or Color, the top most clip at the playhead position is selected by default. If you want a different clip, you will need to manually select it.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Hardy-

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 6:06 pm

Jim Simon wrote:2. Going into Fusion or Color, the top most clip at the playhead position is selected by default. If you want a different clip, you will need to manually select it.

... and the playhead will jump away. It's annoying.

I think the only users that don't complain about this problem are those that put all layers they have into one compound clip so to get just a single video track on the timeline :-)

Sven H

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 8:31 pm

jellerbrake wrote:This is such a frustrating feature. I had an adjustment layer with a print film look above my whole project. I added a new clip beneath, went to color it, and the color tab automatically selected the adjustment layer. Even though I was seeing the new clip in the monitor for my color tab. Then my whole project's grade changed, I panicked and quit resolve, and was unable to Undo. I wish I could select a clip in my timeline and have it stay selected when I move into Color.
move all adjustment clips to one layer. then inside color tab Alt+Click on that track to disable the selection. It still shows on top of the footage, but doesn't show up on the thumbnail view and wont get selected anymore

Jim Simon

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 9:25 pm

Hardy- wrote:... and the playhead will jump away.
It depends.

If you simply choose another clip, yes.

But if you Disable the tracks above, you can get to the clip you want while leaving the playhead in position.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Hardy-

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 11:06 pm

I want to see all layers. Therefore I don't want to disable them. Even if I wanted to disable them, these additionally required actions break the workflow.

Jim Simon

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 2:26 pm

OK.

In that case you can use a timeline marker to get back to the same spot, but with the desired clip selected and all clips visible.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Hardy-

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 5:02 pm

If I were to use markers for this purpose, I would get a thousand markers on my timeline. I would have to delete them and set them and delete, set, delete ...

Not ergonomic. Look at all these additional actions:

1. My clip on Edit page is selected; I set marker at playhead on Edit page.
2. Go to Color page; my clip is not seleted anymore.
3. Reselect my clip on Color page; playhead jumps to start of my clip.
4. Move my playhead to marker (slide, nudge, nudge, click, click ...)
5. Start color grading.

My wish would be:

1. My clip on Edit page is selected; I go to Color page.
2. Start color grading.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 7:14 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Hardy- wrote:... and the playhead will jump away.
It depends.

If you simply choose another clip, yes.

But if you Disable the tracks above, you can get to the clip you want while leaving the playhead in position.

and if you do that [disable] you lose the adjustment layer effect altogether.....
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Jim Simon

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 2:42 pm

Hardy- wrote:1. My clip on Edit page is selected; I go to Color page.
I get that's your desire, but that would break things in a bad way.

For example, if the selected clip was not under the playhead, then the playhead would move when you switched to Color.

That's bad.

The ideal would be a right click Open in Color to match the currently available Open in Fusion. But until then...we have to deal with how things are.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Tekkerue

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 4:15 pm

Jim Simon wrote:The ideal would be a right click Open in Color to match the currently available Open in Fusion. But until then...we have to deal with how things are.
To make it work without moving the playhead:
1) If a clip is selected under the playhead, open that clip in Color and at the exact location of the playhead (not jumping to the beginning of the clip).
2) If no clip is selected, then open the top clip under the playhead at the exact location of the playhead.
3) If a clip is selected but it is not under the playhead, then open the top clip under the playhead.

The logic essentially boils down to just one if-else statement...
IF (clip is selected AND clip is under playhead) open selected clip
ELSE open top clip under playhead

This way the playhead never moves and you can still choose which clip to open. The same would also apply for the Fusion page.
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 CPU 3.20GHz
MOBO: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Yeah, I know!)
Audio: Audient iD14 USB Interface
Storage: Seagate SATA HDD

Sven H

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 7:20 pm

I can only repeat myself here.

If you are working with adjustment clips Alt-Click on the video track in the timeline view inside the color tab. That way you are still seeing the adjustment clips effect, but resolve does not automatically select the clip all the time.

If you want to change something in the adjustment clip, just alt click again to make it selectable.

Page 2789 in the manual.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 7:49 pm

Sven H wrote:I can only repeat myself here.

If you are working with adjustment clips Alt-Click on the video track in the timeline view inside the color tab. That way you are still seeing the adjustment clips effect, but resolve does not automatically select the clip all the time.

If you want to change something in the adjustment clip, just alt click again to make it selectable.

Page 2789 in the manual.

If you working with adjustment clips and you do >any< type of groups, clips, flash, and so on, you will not see the adjustment layer whatsoever. Zip nil, nafa, not going to happen.

Adjustment layers are not really versatile
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Hardy-

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 9:54 pm

Jim Simon wrote:... if the selected clip was not under the playhead, then the playhead would move when you switched to Color.

That's bad.
As Tekkerue wrote, the solution would be this: The Color page should only keep the clip selection if the clip is under the playhead:
Tekkerue wrote:IF (clip is selected AND clip is under playhead) open selected clip
ELSE open top clip under playhead

_________

Jim Simon wrote:The ideal would be a right click Open in Color to match the currently available Open in Fusion.
That would be fine as well. I would set the C-key on that like I did with the F-key for "Open in Fusion".

Hardy-

PostSun Mar 26, 2023 10:07 pm

Sven H wrote:I can only repeat myself here.

Page 2789 in the manual.

Nice. That seems to work here on my Mac (where it's OPTION-Click). The adjustment clip remains active, my desired clip below remains selected, and the playhead won't jump anymore.

The disadvantage: I never show that mini timeline on the Color page as it makes the Viewer smaller. So I always had to click the timeline on/off and that's just another obstacle in the workflow.

Return to DaVinci Resolve