LUT problem with keyed node

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JohanSP

LUT problem with keyed node

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 10:10 am

I am working on a workflow for color grading my hunting videos. I have a LUT on the FLAT camera footage and then an adjustment layer over the whole timeline to create the look. Long story short, I continuously updated the LUT until I found something that works, in other words, I might have used 2 nodes, one of which has a previous LUT applied to it, to then create a new LUT.

This worked for my FLAT correction LUT, but now I have 4 nodes on the Adj layer that created a very nice look, one node has a previous LUT applied to it and keyed down to have a very subtle effect. I then saved the new grade to have a single LUT applied to my adj layer next time. But then I tested that new LUT and it looks nothing like the grade with the 4 nodes.

Does a LUT take into consideration the keyed down node? It doesn't even look like the original grade even with that LUT node keyed all the way up, so I don't know if that is the problem.

I attached 2 screenshots, the more contrasty one is the one with the single node applied that doesn't come out like the original.
Attachments
Screenshot (24).png
Screenshot (24).png (792.89 KiB) Viewed 684 times
Screenshot (23).png
Screenshot (23).png (905.31 KiB) Viewed 684 times

Steve Alexander

Re: LUT problem with keyed node

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 1:16 pm

Search for Generate LUT in the reference manual. Not all grading effects are incorporated into a LUT - just a few such as primaries, curves, etc. - Maybe you applied something to one of those nodes that does not incorporate (or you have timeline grades, etc.). I tried with a simple set of nodes with one of them keyed down to 50% on a curves adjustment and that seemed to transfer to the generated LUT just fine.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Fusion Studio 18.6.5 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.3.1

JohanSP

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 1:43 pm

Thanks so much. Must be something else. I think I am just going to spare myself an headache and just put the Adj Layer in a Power Bin for all my hunting projects coming up. But thank you for yor help. Much appreciated.

Steve Alexander

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 1:54 pm

You're welcome. Good luck.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Fusion Studio 18.6.5 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.3.1

shebbe

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 10:06 am

JohanSP wrote:I think I am just going to spare myself an headache and just put the Adj Layer in a Power Bin for all my hunting projects coming up.
If you want to be more tidy with your look you can create a compound node from all the look nodes so it becomes just one. Saving it as a power grade is also more practical as you may go back in and make changes if you'd want to whereas a new LUT would bake the results. If you feel like it's not practical to have it 'open' because you apply it on each clip, perhaps consider using groups. Applying a look on the group post-clip level allows for the best control over the image below the look since that's still ungraded.

If you're new to using groups here's a simple tutorial.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

JohanSP

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 7:50 pm

Super super good response. Thank you so much. I will definitely look into Power grades and the groups you have mentioned. Your response is actually incredibly valuable to me because of the insight into a new element regarding work flow. You can be as good of an editor and colour grader in terms of what you can do with your footage, but everyone always have something to learn about workflow, especially in such advanced and incredibly complex programs such as DaVinci Resolve. And workflow based advice is always super valuable because of the fact that you can get through an edit no problem without that knowledge, it's not like you have to know about Power Grades to be able to grade clips, but if you are introduced to it it can be so helpful.

Long story short, I'll definitely look into everything you mentioned because it sounds very powerful.

Thank you

Return to DaVinci Resolve