Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Where to buy Fusion Studio 18 with software license key?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

D.R. Greenlaw

Where to buy Fusion Studio 18 with software license key?

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 4:27 am

Hi,

I'm a long time Fusion user (since version 3 or 4, I guess,) and I recently wanted to switch from my dongle license key to a software key so I can use Fusion with my laptop and not worry about losing or breaking the dongle when I'm on-the-road.

Since it doesn't sound like I can exchange my existing dongle for a software key, I decided to purchase a second license to use with the laptop. Unfortunately, every online vendor I've looked up (B&H, Adorama, etc.,) sells only the version with the hardware dongle.

Can anyone here tell me how I can purchase Fusion Studio 18 with the software key?

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.
Greenlaw
Artist/Partner - Little Green Dog
Website: littlegreendog.com | Demo Reels: vimeo.com/album/4631314
Lead Digital Animator - DreamWorks Animation

Pieter Van Houte

Re: Where to buy Fusion Studio 18 with software license key?

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 8:00 am

Hi,

Here's a list of online resellers:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... /howtobuy/

But you also seem to be able to buy Resolve Studio right from the BMD website:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... nciresolve

DR Studio licenses also unlock Fu Studio.
Support We Suck Less on Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless

D.R. Greenlaw

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 1:32 pm

Oh, cool! Thanks Pieter. I hadn't seen the Buy DaVinci Resolve page, probably because I was looking for a Buy Fusion Studio page. :)

Just one more question for anyone (especially a BMD rep) that can answer...

I specifically need Fusion Studio because I require the network work rendering and third party plugins capabilities, and I understand I won't have that with the Fusion that's built into Resolve. So, if I buy DaVinci Resolve directly from BMD, is the standalone Fusion Studio that's activated by the Resolve license truly as fully featured as the standalone Fusion Studio purchased separately? I'm puzzled because they're the same price.

I want to be sure because I already own the standalone Fusion Studio and I just need a software key to be able to run it on my laptop without the dongle. Owning DaVinci Resolve would be nice and I'll probably use it, but it's not a priority for me at this time.

(I tried contacting a rep through the website about this a few weeks ago but never got a reply.)

Thanks in advance for any helpful response.
Greenlaw

Bryan Ray

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 4:35 pm

Yes, the Resolve software activation code unlocks the same Fusion Studio as a Fusion software activation code or a hardware dongle. The only difference you'll see is that you'll no longer be able to run earlier versions of Fusion Studio. I forget exactly when they added the software activation capability, though. Either v15 or 16. Not that there's any reason to run 15, as far as I know. But if you really love Fusion 9, you won't be able to run that with the activation code.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

D.R. Greenlaw

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 7:23 pm

Awesome! Thanks for confirming this for me Bryan. Will purchase DaVinci Resolve Studio then.

If I need Fusion 9, I still have my original dongle (and my two old Eyeon Fusion dongles prior,) but it's unlikely I'll need to do that except to revisit old comps out of nostalgia. :lol:

For video editing, I've been using Vegas Pro forever, but I'm curious to try DaVinci Resolve and see how it compares.
Greenlaw

Butters

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 7:59 pm

It looks like you are buying Resolve Studio 18 but not Fusion Studio 18.

I am also looking to get a copy of Fusion Studio 18 but can't find anywhere online to download it. I purchased Resolve Studio a few months ago and I'm hoping I can use Fusion Studio with the same license. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Everywhere I look I have to buy the $295 license for Fusion Studio instead of just being able to download the software and license it using my Resolve Studio key.

xunile

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 8:18 pm

You can download it from the BMD support page.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Bryan Ray

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 11:51 pm

Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

bigborisbecker

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 3:53 pm

I totally understand the purpose of the name of this company.

It's black magic to really get information about purchasing and what the difference is between Free and Studio version! My questions on reddit all tell me different thing. Even chat-gpt tells me different information.

Can someone please just give me information about what EXACTLY is the difference between the versions?

However, why I'm posting this in this thread is the question of the week and I will make it easy, just answer me Yes or No.

If I buy DaVinci Resolve Studio directly from blackmagicdesign.com

Will I get the delivery digital by e-mail?

D.R. Greenlaw

PostThu Apr 06, 2023 11:09 am

bigborisbecker wrote:Can someone please just give me information about what EXACTLY is the difference between the (Free and Studio) versions?

However, why I'm posting this in this thread is the question of the week and I will make it easy, just answer me Yes or No.

If I buy DaVinci Resolve Studio directly from blackmagicdesign.com

Will I get the delivery digital by e-mail?

Yes.

After my post last Sunday, I purchased DaVinci Resolve Studio from the BMD web page linked to earlier, and I received my license key immediately. The software can be downloaded from the direct BMD links or from the We Suck Less forum links mentioned in another post.

I haven't had time to install and activate the software on my laptop but I still trust the soft license will also work for Fusion Studio on this computer. I thought my dongle version had been previously installed on this laptop but as it turns out, neither DaVinci Resolve or Fusion had ever been installed on it. (It's a fairly new computer.) I'll post again after I install and try to activate the software on this laptop.

As for the differences between the Free and Studio versions of DaVinci Resolve, according to the product page on the BMD website...

DaVinci Resolve Studio includes everything in the free version plus the DaVinci Neural Engine, dozens of additional Resolve FX, temporal and spatial noise reduction, stereoscopic 3D, film grain, optical blur and mist effects, and more. It also supports 10‑bit video at up to 120 frames per second and resolutions beyond 4K.

For Fusion Studio, it's mainly the ability to use third party plugins, Primatte, and network rendering. There are other differences but these are the ones I need with the Studio version.

I know you didn't ask about dongle vs soft license but since I'm summarizing this thread: I used the dongle license for a couple of decades now and it's been great, but recently I decided I need the soft license for my laptop because 1.) it has only USB C ports and 2.) I was concerned about breaking or losing the dongle because this laptop travels a lot.

Hope this helps.
Greenlaw

ShaheedMalik

PostSat Apr 08, 2023 3:49 pm

Buying A Resolve Studio 18 license = Buying Fusion Studio 18.

Resolve Studio and Fusion studio are both avail to download on Blackmagic'site.

D.R. Greenlaw

PostMon Apr 10, 2023 3:49 am

I finally installed DaVinci Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio 18 on my new laptop. First I launched DaVinci Resolve and activated it using the software key. Next I launched Fusion Studio and it started up right away and did not require separate activation. I checked the About menu and, sure enough, it's the Studio version.

So, yup, just confirming: Buy DaVinci Resolve Studio with a software key and it will also activate the current Fusion Studio.

Perfect!

Technically, I guess I no longer need my old dongle key but it's still works for running Fusion on my desktop so will hang onto it.

Thanks to everyone here who replied with helpful answers. You guys rock!
Greenlaw

Rob Ainscough

PostSun Sep 17, 2023 6:23 pm

I ran into the same confusion, and BMD not very helpful at all.

I purchased the Speed Editor which I didn't realize had a license key for Resolve 18.x in addition I purchased Resolve 18.x software separately so I now have two license keys.

Then I discovered this thread on Fusion 18.x because I was about to buy it ... then got the download links per this thread. Why doesn't BMD actually mention this at all?

Anyway, I installed 18.1x from the link in this thread and it detected my Resolve license key and is working as a "stand alone" product. BUT, when I'm in Resolve the Fusion menu is all grayed out except "Import" but all the Import features are grayed out also?

Any suggestions why Fusion all grayed out in Resolve, but working fine standalone?

Sander de Regt

PostSun Sep 17, 2023 6:30 pm

This only works when you're already in the Fusion page. It's there in the menu all the time, but only works in the Fusion page.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Rob Ainscough

PostSun Sep 17, 2023 10:29 pm

I'm a little confused ... what do you mean by "in the fusion page"?

I don't have an option for "New Fusion Composition". I do have Fusing 18.1.3 installed and it's work stand alone, but not when I bring up Resolve 18.6 nothing ... any tips on how to get Resolve 18.6 to work with Fusion 18.1?

EDIT: I found it!

I view some YouTube videos for beginners and they didn't mention anything at all about selecting the Workspace | Switch to Page | Fusion?

My next question, how do I lay all these pages out on the screen at once so I don't have to keep switch back and forth in "pages"? In Adobe Pr and Ae I could setup my workspace the way I like it, but I can't seem to see how to do that in Resolve?

Sander de Regt

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 6:48 am

Short answer: you can't. Its Resolve's philosophy to keep this things seperate. You can make it so that you can adjust some parameters from the Fusion page in the Edit page for example, but since you're new at this, I suggest follolwing a couple of tutorials on the Resolve workflow. For better or for worse that is how it is at the moment, so if you want to work in Resolve you have to deal with its quirks.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Frank Engel

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 8:53 am

D.R. Greenlaw wrote:Technically, I guess I no longer need my old dongle key but it's still works for running Fusion on my desktop so will hang onto it.

It should also unlock recent versions of Resolve Studio on that same desktop. Early versions of either Resolve or Fusion will not accept each others' dongles or codes. At some point the Resolve dongle started unlocking Fusion, then the Fusion dongle started unlocking Resolve, then the activation code for Resolve started working with Fusion.

With the most current versions, going a few versions back, you can use a Resolve dongle, a Fusion dongle, or an activation code, to activate both Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio on the same system.

Return to Fusion