Speed editor keyboard - add live cut multiview as Atem Mini

• Author

Ale_Zakko

Speed editor keyboard - add live cut multiview as Atem Mini

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 4:59 pm

Hello my friends. I'm falling in love with this new Speed Editor keyboard! :) My primary works are on classical concert and corporate meeting. I would like to suggest the possibility to add a feature to use the speed editor as live cut mixer on cut/edit page, as you can do with a classic keyboard on edit page on a compound multicam clip (just press play and in real time, add cuts when i press cam1 cam2 cam3 etc, without stop playhead)... Many thanks!

VioletWolf

Re: SPEED EDITOR KEYBOARD - add live cut multiview as Atem M

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 8:23 pm

Pretty sure it already does this.

You'll also love the Live Overwrite function on the cut page. Button is - LIVE O/WR - on the Speed Editor. Just hold the camera number button down and scroll the wheel
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

Ale_Zakko

Re: Speed editor keyboard - add live cut multiview as Atem M

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 3:49 pm

VioletWolf wrote:Pretty sure it already does this.

You'll also love the Live Overwrite function on the cut page. Button is - LIVE O/WR - on the Speed Editor. Just hold the camera number button down and scroll the wheel

No VioletWolf.. :( this function it doesn't work. You can't do a live multicam as a live mixing (you can do this on edit page when you create a compound multicam clip, and pressing play you can switch different angle IN REAL TIME just pressing 1 2 3 and so on top buttons on classic keyboard.) On speed editor keyboard the multicam edit itsn't a multicam edit "live", as some think.. :) So, it could be fantastic this feature. Maybe just add a simple mapped keyboard buttons on edit page= Cam1 speed editor --> top button keyboard 1; Cam2 speed editor --> top button keyboard 2; Cam3 speed editor --> top button keyboard 3, and so on :)

ShaheedMalik

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 2:10 am

I would love to use this feature in real time. It would make editing music videos so much easier.

Andy Mees

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 11:25 am

Shaheed, the ability to use the SE for multicam switching in the Edit page is already implemented. What am I missing?

ShaheedMalik

PostThu Mar 30, 2023 10:45 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Shaheed, the ability to use the SE for multicam switching in the Edit page is already implemented. What am I missing?

As stated in the responses above mine, it's not in real time. You can't live switch on the Speed Editor and cut between clips while the the timeline is playing back.

Andy Mees

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 1:03 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:You can't live switch on the Speed Editor and cut between clips while the the timeline is playing back.
But I can Shaheed, that's my point. That's why I think I'm not understanding you.

ShaheedMalik

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 2:49 pm

Andy Mees wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:You can't live switch on the Speed Editor and cut between clips while the the timeline is playing back.
But I can Shaheed, that's my point. That's why I think I'm not understanding you.

You're going to have to show a video of you doing such a thing on the Speed Editor.

The moment you go into the Sync Bin, hit play. With Live Overwrite enabled, as soon as you hit camera button of the view you want, playback immediately stops.

At that point you have to use the scroll wheel to paint out that particular camera. I want to be able switch between the cameras and "auto paint" that particular camera until I decide to switch to another camera while the timeline is playing in real time. Resolve doesn't currently do this.

Here's how the feature works when Live Overwrite isn't enabled.
4:46

Both of these features, as soon as you hit play at hit a camera, playback stops
This feature is on the ATEM mini but not in Resolve using the Speed Editor.

This is what the ATEM ISO switcher does. When you hit a camera button, will switch to that camera and that duration of the cut is saved to the Resolve file. I want to do this while in Resolve with my Speed Editor.

In Resolve, I should be able hit play and record me switching between cameras to the timeline while playback is going just like a regular switcher using the Speed Editor. I cannot currently do that in Resolve 18.1.4

Andy Mees

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 3:49 pm

I don't use the Cut page, I'm talking about the Edit page.

From the original thread post:
I would like to suggest the possibility to add a feature to use the speed editor as live cut mixer on cut/edit page, as you can do with a classic keyboard on edit page

and per my reply:
Andy Mees wrote:the ability to use the SE for multicam switching in the Edit page is already implemented

As I recall, the functionality was added in 18.1. Hope that clears up the confusion.

ShaheedMalik

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 9:30 pm

Andy Mees wrote:I don't use the Cut page, I'm talking about the Edit page.

I would like to suggest the possibility to add a feature to use the speed editor as live cut mixer on cut/edit page, as you can do with a classic keyboard on edit page

and per my reply:
Andy Mees wrote:the ability to use the SE for multicam switching in the Edit page is already implemented

As I recall, the functionality was added in 18.1. Hope that clears up the confusion.

The classic keyboard isn't the Speed Editor.
I'm on Resolve 18.1.4 - it doesn't work on the cut or the edit page.

If you think it does, show proof.

ShaheedMalik

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 10:48 pm

Andy Mees wrote:I don't use the Cut page, I'm talking about the Edit page.

and per my reply:

I am not sure why you are spreading misinformation.

Live Overwrite 1.jpg
Live Overwrite 1.jpg (329.37 KiB) Viewed 972 times

On this page it literally states:
The Live Overwrite mode in the Speed Editor can be thought of as switching a live Multicam shoot
without all the annoying constraints of linear time.

We are asking for it work with linear time.

Also, on this very page it states this key doesn't work on the Edit page.

This key is inactive in the Edit Page

And here are the rest of the pages in case you still don't understand how it works.
Live Overwrite 2.jpg
Live Overwrite 2.jpg (345.27 KiB) Viewed 972 times

Live Overwrite 3.jpg
Live Overwrite 3.jpg (408.98 KiB) Viewed 972 times

Andy Mees

PostFri Mar 31, 2023 11:38 pm

Not spreading misinfo Shaheed, just pointing out the functionality added in 18.1 which enabled using the Speed Editor to cut multicam in the Edit page, just as you can do with a regular keyboard, per the request for that specific functionality in the original post of this thread.

With respect to the Cut page, as noted, I have no skin in that game so can't really comment on any missing/wished for functionality there.

Cheers
Andy

ShaheedMalik

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 12:47 am

Andy Mees wrote:Not spreading misinfo Shaheed, just pointing out the functionality added in 18.1 which enabled using the Speed Editor to cut multicam in the Edit page, just as you can do with a regular keyboard, per the request for that specific functionality in the original post of this thread.

Cheers
Andy

It literally doesn't. Just like the official manual indicates. If it does and you are saying the manual is wrong, provide proof.

Stop spreading misinformation.

Andy Mees

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 2:44 pm

To be clear Shaheed, I am not referencing "Live Overwrite", I am referencing the CAM1- CAM9 buttons which function in the Edit Page for creating live multicam switching decisions during timeline playback (with source viewer in Multicam mode, obviously) which is per the original request. I'm getting the clear impression that you are asking for something else, which is totally fine but would maybe be better served in its own thread?

ShaheedMalik

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 10:46 pm

Andy Mees wrote:To be clear Shaheed, I am not referencing "Live Overwrite", I am referencing the CAM1- CAM9 buttons which function in the Edit Page for creating live multicam switching decisions during timeline playback (with source viewer in Multicam mode, obviously) which is per the original request. I'm getting the clear impression that you are asking for something else, which is totally fine but would maybe be better served in its own thread?

The original request was for the cut page. Notice how the original poster stated "cut" first.

Andy Mees

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 2:16 pm

Indeed, the poster requested "to add a feature to use the speed editor as live cut mixer on cut/edit page, as you can do with a classic keyboard on edit page" ... someone replied that the user would love 'Live Overwrite' and the OP responded "No... maybe just add a simple mapped keyboard buttons on edit page = Cam1 speed editor --> top button keyboard 1 etc".

My response when you then resurrected the 2 year old thread was that the ability to do that in the Edit page had been added... at which point you got increasingly angry with me, demanded proof, and, when I persisted with respect to the original request now working in the Edit page, started accusing me of spreading disinformation. Seems reasonably clear some wires got crossed. Let's move on.

ShaheedMalik

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 1:50 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Indeed, the poster requested "to add a feature to use the speed editor as live cut mixer on cut/edit page, as you can do with a classic keyboard on edit page" ... someone replied that the user would love 'Live Overwrite' and the OP responded "No... maybe just add a simple mapped keyboard buttons on edit page = Cam1 speed editor --> top button keyboard 1 etc".

My response when you then resurrected the 2 year old thread was that the ability to do that in the Edit page had been added... at which point you got increasingly angry with me, demanded proof, and, when I persisted with respect to the original request now working in the Edit page, started accusing me of spreading disinformation. Seems reasonably clear some wires got crossed. Let's move on.

If am wanting a feature that the OP also wanted in the cut page, a feature that isn't currently in Resolve, it doesn't matter how old the thread is. You then said a feature is in the edit page with no documentation to support that fact, and with no description of how to perform said feature. I asked you to prove it in which you never did.

The feature isn't in the cut page. You showed no proof that it works in the Edit page, regardless, it isn't in the cut page. You should move along.

Andy Mees

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 8:09 pm

Hey Shaheed

If you have a Speed Editor and a basic understanding of how Multicam editing works in the Edit page, using a regular keyboard to cut to different angles during playback, then no documentation is needed, it just works exactly as you'd expect it to ie the Cam buttons on the Speed Editor can be used to live cut between angles in exactly the same way as using the numbers keypad on an extended keyboard... it's what the original poster specifically suggested in his revised request.

You can read all about Multicam Editing in (I think) Chapter 41 of the current manual. Have a play with it when you get some down time.

Cheers
Andy

ShaheedMalik

PostSat Apr 08, 2023 3:55 pm

It doesn't work in the cut page.

More along.

Andy Mees

PostSat Apr 08, 2023 5:41 pm

Yep, as noted, it was only added to the Edit page.
Hopefully you'll get your wish in the next update though, or in the next round of updates... seem to recall when the iPad version of Resolve came out, BMD specifically said they were intending to incorporate more Edit page functionality into the Cut page. With a bit of luck that'll translate to the improvements you're looking for. Fingers crossed.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests