DaVinci keeps jumping out of text fields as I'm writing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ChristofferA

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 3:07 pm

Hey there!

First of all, a big THANK YOU for a great workstation in DaVinci Resolve!
I'm super thankful for the powerful tools you've put in our hands!

I got a problem, and I've had it with several computers and during several versions of DaVinci.

As I'm writing in text fields for subtitles, titles, or maybe editing numbers for settings, DaVinci keeps jumping out from the text fields and does changes to my settings instead. A horrible favourite is that it starts editing my in and out settings by thinking I'm using the 'I' och 'O' buttons to do that, while I was writing in a text field. Or changing my cursor modes from "selection mode -A" to "trim mode -B", etc.

This is really annoying. It might be because of my trackpad on my laptop, but I never experience the cursor and marking jump out of any other textfield in any other app. I've been using a few different MacBook Pro's with DaVinci. At the moment it’s a MacBook Pro 16" M1. But the problem has been here with all of my macs. But as I said, I've never experience this jumping-out-of-text-field problems anywhere else, for example now when I'm writing this. I would never be able to write such a long text in DaVinci without experiencing it jumping out and changing settings with the keyboard shortcuts.

Please look into this :)

Sincerely

Christoffer

Joe Shapiro

Re: DaVinci keeps jumping out of text fields as I'm writing

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 5:59 pm

Would you do a screen capture showing this happening? Does it happen often enough to repro this quickly?
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

joevazquez2021

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 6:12 pm

Hello guys, I am writing because I am seeing a critical problem in Davinci
since you made the new 18.1.4 update and the problem consists when I am
delivering a job for a client after that when I watch the video the
animation titles like (flip over, three line drop, rise fade and drop in)
begin to flash like blinking in the middle of the video and even some of
them disappear and I try to accommodate them on the timeline separated into
tracks and it continues to do the same behavior, and that the previous
version did not do. I have a 2013 mac pro (12 cores, 64gb ram, blackmagic
GPU running BigSur 11.7.2) and never had that kind of problem with the
software. I hope you guys do an urgent update fixing that and I can
continue making my work videos with the titles that my clients ask me for
and now I'm having a tremendous mess with that. Thank you

ChristofferA

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 8:48 pm

Hi Joe!

Screen captures wouldn't show much more than that this:
1) I'm writing i a text field (editor section). Everybody here knows how they look like. This is all types of text fields available in that section, but let's focus on Text+ and Subtitles.

2) All of a sudden things in the editor starts happening. As I'm writing rather quick, a few settings might change quickly. For example 'I' sets a new in-time on the timeline. 'B' changes the cursor. Some other shortcut keys I don't know in my head might for example move a clip a few frames back or forth. And so on. Until I notice this (takes half a second) gets angry and have to do cmd-z a few times and start over editing the text.

I think you can imagine this. :)

Sincerely

Christoffer

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Mar 23, 2023 9:19 pm

So you don't think there's anything particularly unique about where you're typing, what page, what things are set up on your screen etc?

If you can't make a reproducible test case so that others can see it happen - like the Resolve programmers - then there's precious little likelihood that it will be fixed.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6

ChristofferA

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 9:08 am

Hi again!

Sorry for the late reply. No, there's nothing unique in what I'm typing. It would be just as I'm typing in this text field here in the forum, making this very reply.

I'll see if I can get a recording up today.

franciscovaldez

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 4:58 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:So you don't think there's anything particularly unique about where you're typing, what page, what things are set up on your screen etc?

If you can't make a reproducible test case so that others can see it happen - like the Resolve programmers - then there's precious little likelihood that it will be fixed.

I've been having the same issue lately.

Nothing particular just typing inside the text box, no mouse or trackpad clicks or taps... And all of a sudden I'm marking in and outs, putting markers, etc on the timeline.
MacBook Pro 13"
M2
UltraStudio 4K

Mac Pro
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

ChristofferA

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 9:30 am

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply. Here's a video showing the issue, which in this case occurred in the beginning of the video, followed by a few minutes where it worked as it should.

I uploaded it as a non-public video on Youtube:

//Christoffer

Jim Simon

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 7:05 pm

The instance I saw near the beginning looked as if you somehow hit Play, which changed the panel focus.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Joe Shapiro

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 10:52 pm

Jim Simon wrote:The instance I saw near the beginning looked as if you somehow hit Play, which changed the panel focus.
…or he typed a space but the focus had moved away from the text field causing Resolve to start playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Resolve 18.6.6

Marc Wielage

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 12:44 am

Jim Simon wrote:The instance I saw near the beginning looked as if you somehow hit Play, which changed the panel focus.

Yes, to the o.p.: set the UI so that you see a RED LINE on the part of the GUI that you're using at the moment (Timeline, Inspector, Bins, etc.). Before you hit a key, make sure the UI focus is on that particularly thing. The moment you bail out, it'll do other things... like instead of a "space" in graphics, the timeline starts playing.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

ChristofferA

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 9:26 am

Marc Wielage wrote:

Yes, to the o.p.: set the UI so that you see a RED LINE on the part of the GUI that you're using at the moment (Timeline, Inspector, Bins, etc.). Before you hit a key, make sure the UI focus is on that particularly thing. The moment you bail out, it'll do other things... like instead of a "space" in graphics, the timeline starts playing.

Thanks for the tip which I suppose was sent in love, but I've been using computers since 1990 and I'm not your grandmother asking how to turn my computer on. Please watch the video again, and you will see that RED LINE. And if I may remind you, this post is about the UI focus jumping out of focus despite of setting UI focus at first, as one would normally do ever since the Apple Lisa UI came out in 1983...

Andy Mees

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 10:40 am

Hey Christoffer
Also sent in love, so don't be offended... but Marc is talking about the UI setting for overall panel focus indication... it's in your user preferences:
UI settings focus indicator.jpg
UI settings focus indicator.jpg (37.06 KiB) Viewed 1740 times

Cheers
Andy

ChristofferA

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 11:37 am

Hi Andy!

I tested that and it does not do any difference. And the text fields are marked red anyways, both with that setting turned on and off.

Cheers

roger.magnusson

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 12:05 pm

Could it be an accidental mouse middle click? I suppose it could happen if you're using a trackpad or Apple Magic Mouse with a custom config or third-party apps for middle click.

ChristofferA

PostSat Apr 15, 2023 12:11 pm

Roger, it looks like it's something like that, but I never experience that on any other app or in the Mac OS system, as I wrote originally.

synergistmedia

PostTue Jun 13, 2023 12:06 am

I am having the same issue, if it helps lend some credence here.

Without changing focus in any way from a text field in the Inspector, or even typing a search string in the Effects panel (as I was just now doing), the app jumps out of the text field ON ITS OWN, without any special input or accidental mouse or trackpad clicks by me, and then immediately starts interpreting key strikes as keyboard shortcuts. I'm a pretty fast typist, which makes me (in this case, anyway) dangerous.

Like the OP, I must point out that Resolve has been wonderful to work with, and even life-changing, for the past three years. This weird and annoying behavior started happening recently; pretty sure it began before the 18.5 beta.

There is no discernible pattern. For example, just now I was typing "mdoc" in the Effects search field. First attempt, I was only able to enter the first letter, and then — if I'm carefully watching the screen, which I wasn't — the blinking insertion point disappears, and the next letter is interpreted as a keyboard shortcut. Which means I disabled the clip that was selected. Second attempt, I got as far as "d" before it jumped out, and so with my next keystroke I needlessly marked an out point. The last attempt, before I decided to search the forum and found this thread, I had mistyped "mdox," and when I hit the backspace key to delete the x, I instead deleted a clip.

So, not life-changing, like DR itself. But definitely annoying. I am happy to report that Control/Command-Z always works as expected.

By the way this happens on both my MacBook Pro (15-inch 2018, with a trackpad) and Mac Mini M1 (2020 with a three-button mouse and wired keyboard). I'm using 18.5B Build 25 on both machines.

Thanks,
Roger

4EvrYng

• Warnings: 1

PostTue Jun 13, 2023 1:16 am

Do you by any chance have auto-save / auto-backup of projects enabled? Even 17.* was doing something similar to me until I disabled them.

Also, if you are using wireless / touchpad keyboard / mouse try using wired one.

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Jun 13, 2023 3:48 am

It sounds to me like Resolve is getting a UI event that's not initiated by the user and responding to it by (incorrectly) moving the focus away from where the user put it.

I've seen a very similar bug in the Contacts app (from Apple!) where, when creating a new contact, the dialog magically gets rid of the new contact in midstream, instead showing some other contact in your list. It's then a race to see if you can create your contact before the app clobbers it! Apple's bug has been there for years.
Resolve 18.6.6

4EvrYng

PostTue Jun 13, 2023 4:16 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:It sounds to me like Resolve is getting a UI event that's not initiated by the user and responding to it by (incorrectly) moving the focus away from where the user put it.

That is exactly why I asked did they have auto-save / auto-backup enabled because those seem to be implemented as separate asynchronous processes which in Windows will steal the focus.

synergistmedia

PostTue Jun 13, 2023 2:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried disabling just Live Save. No change. Unchecked all the boxes in the Save Settings section of Project Load and Save in User Prefs.

Still happening.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 2:40 am

4EvrYng wrote:That is exactly why I asked did they have auto-save / auto-backup enabled because those seem to be implemented as separate asynchronous processes which in Windows will steal the focus.

That could very well be -- I have experienced flakier keyboard response in Windows than Mac. "In general," this problem doesn't happen as much as Mac.

But I had a problem yesterday where I was renaming a timeline, and (as always) the text cursor disappears), I struggle to continue typing the name, and if I hit the wrong key, like a shift->arrow to take the cursor somewhere in the text, instead it affects the timeline position. So Resolve itself does sometimes get "distracted" as to whether you're in a Text Input mode, vs. a Transport mode. It's an intermittent flaw that's been around for many years.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Joe Shapiro

PostWed Jun 14, 2023 7:17 am

Marc Wielage wrote:I had a problem yesterday where I was renaming a timeline, and (as always) the text cursor disappears), I struggle to continue typing the name, and if I hit the wrong key, like a shift->arrow to take the cursor somewhere in the text, instead it affects the timeline position. So Resolve itself does sometimes get "distracted" as to whether you're in a Text Input mode, vs. a Transport mode. It's an intermittent flaw that's been around for many years.

So glad you too have seen this Marc.

The disappearing cursor problem I've seen for years but never been able to predictably repro. The other problem - Shift+Arrow - is not an intermittent one. It's dead-on reproducible and I've filed a report on it here. You've even chimed in there in the comments.

I consider this kind of thing important. 'cause when bugs like this are allowed to pile up over the years the program gets both less stable and more complex. Who knows what other parts of the code may actually rely on the incorrect behavior going on here. Letting this "technical debt" accumulate is how programs eventually become too complex to maintain and develop.
Resolve 18.6.6

dmjfoto13

PostTue Jan 23, 2024 2:21 pm

Hi All,

I guess this was never resolved? I have the SAME identical issues, primarily when I'm trying to enter text into a Title Card in the Effects panel. It's just as described. I have the issue on 16" MacBook Pro M! MAX and even if I make sure that my hands are nowhere near the trackpad (think pecking away at an old typewriter), the cursor will change focus in the middle of a word and, as has been stated, will cause unintended actions if the letter you are type for a title card happens to match a keyboard shortcut. I was happy to find this thread, but then realized that there was never a resolution. Like other posters, I have been on Mac computers for 40+ years and know when I"m doing something or not. This is clearly an issue of the software thinking it's been given another command. BTW, I have turned off EVERY possible gesture control of my trackpad than single tap for selection.

Would be grateful if any progress on this has been made.

Cheers,
David J
NYC

Steve Alexander

PostTue Jan 23, 2024 2:37 pm

I always assumed that it was my thumb getting too close to the trackpad of my MacBook, lol. I see this all the time when I try to rename nodes in the color page - I often only get halfway through the naming and suddenly the focus jumps out of rename and to something else.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

franciscovaldez

PostTue Jan 23, 2024 6:39 pm

This is a Resolve problem, not a trackpad or accidental mouse click issue.

I don't use click on my trackpad and my mouse is far from my keyboard.

This issue is so common for me, that I've developed typing paranoia inside Resolve. Be it labeling a node, naming an export or typing inside a textfield.
MacBook Pro 13"
M2
UltraStudio 4K

Mac Pro
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

GamerKitty Euphoric

PostTue Jan 23, 2024 10:36 pm

seems to be a Mac only issue. I'm on PC and never had this issue?
Link to NFO File https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vZTDFIJdy2RPNNZ7qNijLBJ4aB9hzBqJ?usp=sharing

I am in Love with Davinci, but my god does it hate me sometimes.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 24, 2024 2:09 am

As always, and particularly for intermittent issues, if anyone works out a way to repo, please let us know.
A phone video of the keyboard and UI together might help, as will a drp, system details and also, please let us know if you are using the DaVinci keyboard shortcut preset or another, not that im suggesting that's the cause.. its just helpful to know.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Hataki

PostMon Mar 11, 2024 5:32 am

ChristofferA wrote:Hey there!

First of all, a big THANK YOU for a great workstation in DaVinci Resolve!
I'm super thankful for the powerful tools you've put in our hands!

I got a problem, and I've had it with several computers and during several versions of DaVinci.

As I'm writing in text fields for subtitles, titles, or maybe editing numbers for settings, DaVinci keeps jumping out from the text fields and does changes to my settings instead. A horrible favourite is that it starts editing my in and out settings by thinking I'm using the 'I' och 'O' buttons to do that, while I was writing in a text field. Or changing my cursor modes from "selection mode -A" to "trim mode -B", etc.

This is really annoying. It might be because of my trackpad on my laptop, but I never experience the cursor and marking jump out of any other textfield in any other app. I've been using a few different MacBook Pro's with DaVinci. Embark on a voyage through the seas of wisdom as you stumble upon a unique online portal dedicated to the customization of scientific articles. This digital treasure trove empowers you to navigate the vast need MasterPapers research paper writers to write paper for me expanse of knowledge, offering the ability to order tailor-made articles penned by seasoned writers. Chart your course through the intricacies of your chosen field, leaving behind the generic and embracing a learning odyssey shaped by your own intellectual compass. At the moment it’s a MacBook Pro 16" M1. But the problem has been here with all of my macs. But as I said, I've never experience this jumping-out-of-text-field problems anywhere else, for example now when I'm writing this. I would never be able to write such a long text in DaVinci without experiencing it jumping out and changing settings with the keyboard shortcuts.

Please look into this :)

Sincerely

Christoffer

I have this bug often, I'm looking for a way to fix it myself.
Last edited by Hataki on Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Mar 11, 2024 6:10 am

Mac or PC?
Can you reproduce it?
Resolve 18.6.6

ElliotMSmith

PostMon Mar 11, 2024 7:32 pm

I'm running into the same thing and I want to report it. I'm on 18.6 Build 9. I don't recall this happening on version 18 which is what I was running prior to the 18.6 update, but I'm on a project where I'm typing a lot right now, and typing a lot is not something I normally do in Resolve, usually I focus on color, so it's tough to say when it first appeared.

The paragraph I just wrote above would've been interrupted multiple times in Resolve, but was interrupted zero times in Safari while typing it on the same machine. So I don't believe it's because I'm hitting the trackpad.
I've long noticed that when I'm typing in titles for exports on the Deliver page that it'll trigger Resolve to start playing back or some other behavior, and that's been going on for years across multiple macs, but export titles are short compared to what I'm typing now, so I didn't really care enough to post about it. The text field issue is a big issue though when doing titles.

I'm not on this forum much, I just googled the problem and found this thread.
ElliotTheColorist.com

franciscovaldez

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 1:21 pm

I've had this problem for ages.

I think it just happens to people who type fast. Typing slow is the only thing that has helped me avoid it.

This is probably the reason you didn't experience it before. Now that you are using more text, probably have increased your typing speed.

This is just speculation on my part. But it's the only constant I've seen.

But I just did a test on 18.6.5 build 7 typing as really fast and could not recreate the problem. So it's either fixed o that is not the cause.
MacBook Pro 13"
M2
UltraStudio 4K

Mac Pro
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

4EvrYng

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 6:28 pm

franciscovaldez wrote:I think it just happens to people who type fast. ... But I just did a test on 18.6.5 build 7 typing as really fast and could not recreate the problem. So it's either fixed or that is not the cause.

That is not / can't be the cause. On any operating system keyboard input is handled by GUI libraries and it goes to "control" (text field, button, or something else) that is current "focus point" and speed of keyboard input doesn't matter. "Jumping out" means something caused change of "focus point" / text field you were on lost the focus.

Darren Abate

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 7:24 pm

4EvrYng wrote:
franciscovaldez wrote:I think it just happens to people who type fast. ... But I just did a test on 18.6.5 build 7 typing as really fast and could not recreate the problem. So it's either fixed or that is not the cause.

That is not / can't be the cause. On any operating system keyboard input is handled by GUI libraries and it goes to "control" (text field, button, or something else) that is current "focus point" and speed of keyboard input doesn't matter. "Jumping out" means something caused change of "focus point" / text field you were on lost the focus.

I’m having this issue as well, it usually happens when I make a new bin and try to name it. The field is highlighted but when I start typing the new bin name, the app starts reacting to shortcuts instead of typing the letters. It doesn’t happen every time but it does happen often.

The other major issue I’m having is with the UI becoming unresponsive until I restart Resolve, e.g. yesterday I was trying to add keyframes in the color page, when the play head became unresponsive in both the keyframes panel and the timeline. A restart of the app fixes it. This happens in multiple windows regularly, in addition to a marked increase in random crashes, usually while in the edit page (but not always).

ChristofferA

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 9:55 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:As always, and particularly for intermittent issues, if anyone works out a way to repo, please let us know.
A phone video of the keyboard and UI together might help, as will a drp, system details and also, please let us know if you are using the DaVinci keyboard shortcut preset or another, not that im suggesting that's the cause.. its just helpful to know.

Hi Peter!
Did you see my video above in the conversation? Do not have a video of my keyboard at the same time, though, but it's quite obvious which keys are entered in the text fields until it goes about doing other type of actions with the keyboard inputs. Writing this on the very same keyboard with trackpad on my MacBook Pro with no issues at all (never have any issues outside of DaVinci) with jumping out of text fields.

Return to DaVinci Resolve