Organized pattern noticed on RAW BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Larry Sullivan

Organized pattern noticed on RAW BMPCC

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 12:30 am

So I've seen people mention the horizontal pattern on their BMPCC's in pro res. I didn't see it on mine, but now that I've tried RAW I notice it in uniform midtones. In my case it was on a wall. Neat video does reduce it to almost unnoticable, but I want to know if anyone had this problem fixed or if anyone is noticing it on RAW now. Also it seems to show up more in resolve than it does in a proxy export playing in PP CS6. My guess is it is the pixel pattern showing up.

AdrianSierkowski

Re: Organized pattern noticed on RAW BMPCC

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 12:57 am

I have the same issue on mine noticed after it was calibrated by BM especially around point sources. Also there, though not as noticeable in RAW. Called up BM and as of now, nothing for it; but call them and report it anyway as they are seeing if they can address it in firmware ect.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 9:15 am

You can make it disappear in resolve by panning and tilting the image by 0.5 in each axis.
Most of the time if you view at 1:1 or via sdi-out it won't show either. I've only had one file from someone else where the problem didn't go away after exporting from resolve too.

BMD are aware of the problem though.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Mac Jaeger

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 11:40 am

So it is there in RAW as well? A pity. I hoped it was connected to the in-camera debayering, but Raw isn't debayered at all inside the Camera...

Return to Cinematography