New Compressed DNG and CineRAW compatbilty

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Christian Horne

New Compressed DNG and CineRAW compatbilty

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi this is mainly directed to BMD, as it is obvious that an impending update for the BMCC is near with the new compressed DNG format available for the pocket, can anybody confirm that we will still be able to convert the DNG files to CineformRAW with Cineform Studio and other applications other than Resolve? As I have read in the 'Announcement Post' that the compressed DNG files need to be Un-compressed again, but nowhere states when and how this process takes place. I don't want to really go into why I use Cineform RAW other than it is a major part of my workflow :)

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: New Compressed DNG and CineRAW compatbilty

PostTue Nov 12, 2013 10:21 pm

I'm not sure what Cineform is using to read DNG files but they are smart guys so if it doesn't work, I'm sure they will have a quick update to make it so. Contact them and if needed, send them a few DNG frames from the Pocket Cinema Camera and I'm pretty certain it will be sorted.

Alex Primes

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 5:09 am

As of this moment, looks like Cineform does not like compressed DNGs from BMPCC.

No such problem with uncompressed Cinema DNGs from BMCC 2.5K though
DataBoss.me
the easiest way to backup, then find any of your data at any time.

symonty

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 5:44 am

Seems the compressed DNG is a great idea but lagging in a lot of software.

Both adobe Premiere and Speed Grade ( even last months update ) are unable to open compressed DNG form my BMPCC, however PS and AE have no issues.

Just weird, good standard ( I am a fan of better management of RAW data especially if lossless compressed ) but not widely adopted yet.

If you wish to test a raw compressed DNG I have a frame here you can try import:
http://www.symonty.org/dng/test.dng

Christian Horne

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 7:01 am

Thanks for the info, this is what I was worried about, looks like maybe it would be better to have the option of RAW or Compressed RAW a user selectable inside the camera, that's the problem with updates as I won't be able to use any future updates because of this :(

Chris Whitten

PostThu Nov 14, 2013 9:44 am

Capture One opens BMPCC raw CinemaDNG fine.
Chris Whitten

Return to Cinematography