BMPCC - Dusty sensor and Highlights Grid Pattern (texture!)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

JorgeDeSilva

BMPCC - Dusty sensor and Highlights Grid Pattern (texture!)

PostTue Oct 29, 2013 10:39 pm

BMPCC - Last firmware. So after my last test (the black spot still exist with the latest firmware), today I noticed this:

Here we go again... this cameras are still on a very beta stage... where is the "Quality Control" of the Blackmagic Design team???

In a regular shooting, some of these small details can be avoided, but... Really unhappy with BM... Now I need to send the camera to have a cleanup and check...

VIDEO :arrow:

:roll: :cry:
Jorge De Silva - Photography & Filmmaking
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1843499/

hugh

Re: BMPCC - Dusty sensor and Highlights Grid Pattern (textur

PostTue Oct 29, 2013 10:45 pm

Maybe its the compression, but I'm not seeing any grid pattern.

Did the camera just come to you with a dirty sensor, or is it possible you got dust on the sensor?
And no black dot on mine.

JorgeDeSilva

PostTue Oct 29, 2013 11:09 pm

Briwil wrote:Maybe its the compression, but I'm not seeing any grid pattern.

Did the camera just come to you with a dirty sensor, or is it possible you got dust on the sensor?
And no black dot on mine.

Look at the purple, I'm not the only one in the forum with the problem, all the cameras have this, but its hard to get noticed (and download the file if you can), a grab here:

The camera arrives like this, you cant clean the sensor it as a plastic on top!!! and the plastic is clean...
The Black spot again is affecting all cams, in extreme situation you will still have it.

I emailed BM 5 min ago....

Chris Whitten

PostTue Oct 29, 2013 11:26 pm

I'm shooting nice footage.
Of course I'm trying to avoid extreme conditions - iso 1600 in very low light, shooting right into the sun, and very dusty locations.
Not downplaying your issues, but I question whether a few people having a few issues means the cameras are as a whole 'still beta'.
Chris Whitten

JorgeDeSilva

PostTue Oct 29, 2013 11:49 pm

chrisso wrote:I'm shooting nice footage.
Of course I'm trying to avoid extreme conditions - iso 1600 in very low light, shooting right into the sun, and very dusty locations.
Not downplaying your issues, but I question whether a few people having a few issues means the cameras are as a whole 'still beta'.

Yeah, If we shoot properly (a real shoot) most of the issues are no issues, we can get around them. But It's a super strange behavior... Hope BM corrects all of this...

Natal

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 12:32 am

I don't see anything odd about the footage, other than obvious dust.

But, if you use a camera with interchangeable lenses and no dust management system, you are going to get dust spots. Those sorts of visual artifacts were very common on early digital SLRs.

You just need to keep the sensor clean.

JorgeDeSilva

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 12:42 am

Natal wrote:I don't see anything odd about the footage, other than obvious dust.

But, if you use a camera with interchangeable lenses and no dust management system, you are going to get dust spots. Those sorts of visual artifacts were very common on early digital SLRs.

You just need to keep the sensor clean.

Sometimes I think that I'm in the wrong forum... seriously! :roll:

I shoot for more than 10 years! I dont know what is a interchangeable lens system... and the problems with dust! LOL.... I will change my profession and spot using cameras...!!! (red,alexa, etc...) - I'm being Ironic here!

All the BM cameras cannot have dust from outside in the sensor since they have a glass element on top of the sensor itself, and a lot of the cameras have dust between these both elements! You cant clean them. You can clean the top glass... but the problem is on the middle!!!

Regarding the pattern: People are blind??? I even post a frame of the GRID pattern, and I made the test again 10min ago and I assume that it's related with highlight exposure (maybe reflection with the "glass" protector and the sensor!!! because that only happens when you get a light source lateral to the lens / sensor.... Well... What to say....

JorgeDeSilva

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 12:47 am

BTW - Download the video,with the vimeo compression you cant see the problem!

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 1:11 am

Are you seeing the grid after exporting from Resolve? I downloaded the video from vimeo but it was still too compressed to really tell, but it didn't look like the grid was there. Not the way i see it in Resolve.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

hugh

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 2:48 am

Looking at the still you posted, I do see the grid. And I have seen that on my camera as well, though it was only once when I had no lens on the camera; I haven't seen it in any footage I've shot.

As far as the dust, that was my intial question, did the camera come to you with dust on the sensor?
Because if it is trapped on the sensor between the glass, like you say, then obviously it must've come to you that way, but you made it sound like it's an issue that just appeared today.

JorgeDeSilva

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 8:50 am

CaptainHook wrote:Are you seeing the grid after exporting from Resolve? I downloaded the video from vimeo but it was still too compressed to really tell, but it didn't look like the grid was there. Not the way i see it in Resolve.

Hello Cap ;)
I Already replied to you in the BMCUser, but here we go:

I never tried yet the workaround solution, since this is more a video to show people the issue. I will try that in after effects (same think (pixel shift). I'm pretty sure that mostly all cameras have the problem, but people never noticed ;)

JorgeDeSilva

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 8:54 am

Briwil wrote:Looking at the still you posted, I do see the grid. And I have seen that on my camera as well, though it was only once when I had no lens on the camera; I haven't seen it in any footage I've shot.

As far as the dust, that was my intial question, did the camera come to you with dust on the sensor?
Because if it is trapped on the sensor between the glass, like you say, then obviously it must've come to you that way, but you made it sound like it's an issue that just appeared today.

Hello!
I tried the camera with all my lenses, I have cleaned all of them (just to be sure), I have cleaned the glass under the sensor too. Problem still there. The problem was here since I receive the camera. But because of my work, I didnt had enough time to pay with it yet.

Regarding the issue:

The grid is visible on the camera LCD, on preview, on shooting. Then visible in VLC, mediaplayer, visible in premiere and AFX, and not so visible after converting to h264! For me this is a debayer problem, that could be fixed fast with a firmware update.

I will post a new video tonight, It's funny because I only got that problem when the light source enters the lens/sensor in a lateral way...

Thanks,
JDS

Nilscrompton

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 9:12 am

I've only seen this effect when certain types of light enter an EF lens at the very edge of it's image circle. My hunch is it's light bouncing of the sides of adapters etc… so the fix lies in shading the lens or looking at the light path prior to the sensor… shouldn't be too hard to address...

JorgeDeSilva

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 9:18 am

nilsio wrote:I've only seen this effect when certain types of light enter an EF lens at the very edge of it's image circle. My hunch is it's light bouncing of the sides of adapters etc… so the fix lies in shading the lens or looking at the light path prior to the sensor… shouldn't be too hard to address...

Yup just like I told before. It looks like a reflection. I have two possible ideas for this:

Bad Debayer (since you can correct this problem shifting pixels in resolve (or afx, etc...).

Or reflections in the protective glass on top of the sensor...

What a bizarre thing....

Richard Oakes

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 10:56 am

I get those horrid patterns too from time to time!
Richard Oakes.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 11:03 am

JorgeDeSilva wrote:Regarding the pattern: People are blind???

No, a few of us have reported this before (at least John and I) but we've had trouble getting it to show up outside of resolve after rendering. Hence my question. By the way i've never tried that pixel shifting solution, just rendering, or viewing the image in Resolve at 1:1 or via SDI out makes the grid go away for me. BMD are aware of this.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

JorgeDeSilva

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 11:10 am

I receive the ticked from BM.

They will check and calibrate my camera, and if the dust is in the sensor itself (before the protection glass), they will replace my camera!

I will have a shooting soon with the camera, and I know that most of this problems are ok, the grid is only in special cases, the dust only visible when the lens are closed down. so...

;)

Steve Wake

PostWed Oct 30, 2013 4:31 pm

JorgeDeSilva wrote:
Or reflections in the protective glass on top of the sensor...

What a bizarre thing....

Now that is an explanation that makes sense to me. The sensor grid could be reflecting light onto the back of the protective glass, and then picking up the reflection. Either that or an effect related to sensel blooming (leakage) which I thought was not a problem with CMOS. I've duplicated the grid effect, too. But the conditions to duplicate it are nothing I would run across in the the course of my normal shooting, and if I did by accident, I would retake.

RobertMac

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 4:06 am

I have the 2.5k BMCC and I have a similar issue. In my case the black spot, or "dust" is
much more noticeable. I have cleaned the glass and checked all of my lenses more than once.
Still I see the spot. Any suggestions? This is ruining my shots. Help! :|

christiangruner

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 3:08 pm

RobertMac wrote:I have the 2.5k BMCC and I have a similar issue. In my case the black spot, or "dust" is
much more noticeable. I have cleaned the glass and checked all of my lenses more than once.
Still I see the spot. Any suggestions? This is ruining my shots. Help! :|

Send it in :)

AdrianSierkowski

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 6:01 pm

I too have the purple grid of doom. But sadly, Bm said to me there isn't anything to do for it. Mine shows up with any point source in the lens flare.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Chas P

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 6:03 pm

My buddy just got his pocket camera and went and shot a TV spot with it and has the exact same grid issue, I'll see if I can get him to at least post screenshots next I see him but I doubt it since they won't want to release anything from the spot yet. Anyway I first noticed it whenever we paused footage while editing and then started noticing it in more and more shots. It was a somewhat darker set than your average set but it still shouldn't matter, it looks horrible and totally ruined a number of shots.

Makes me very worried about my 4k Pre Order, wonder what random issues will pop up with that bugger. :-/

Soeren Mueller

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 6:12 pm

I only noticed something similar looking a few times when I had no lense on at all and there was light shining on the sensor, saw this "grid of doom" (lol) on the display of the cam - but thankfully not one single time yet when using the cam as B-Cam for jobs! Not even very bright light sources... also no esp. blooming highlights, they look very natural... seems I got a "good one" (besides one "hot" pixel on the display but I can live with that ;o) phew!

Dan MCcready

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 7:05 pm

Let's be honest here, these cameras are at the early beta stage and need lots more development. It's a real shame but I won't touch the BMPCC at the moment, you guys are the real beta testers. I know two people with this camera and they both have the same issues and are just simply not usable as they are, even after the update.

pallelindqvist

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 7:11 pm

I did a shoot the other day and unfortunately also came across this issue, especially when shooting towards any lights. I guess there's probably nothing to do but to avoid such situations, but might be problematic shooting concerts etc. I'm attaching a frame grab and as you can see it doesn't look good at all.

Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 20.04.01.png
Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 20.04.01.png (995.62 KiB) Viewed 19553 times

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 9:50 pm

pallelindqvist wrote:I did a shoot the other day and unfortunately also came across this issue, especially when shooting towards any lights. I guess there's probably nothing to do but to avoid such situations, but might be problematic shooting concerts etc. I'm attaching a frame grab and as you can see it doesn't look good at all.

I've seen the same issue on my pocket camera from time to time. Only it was less of a "grid" than most of these examples and more of a maze pattern. I too have noticed it when looking into things like a bright LED on an electronic device. Or when a lens flare or bright light source sweeps across the sensor at an angle.

It's usually not too much of a problem but a few days ago it did completely ruin a sunset shot. Luckily it wasn't a very good shot to begin with.

I've tried the image shifting thing in After Effects but it doesn't completely eliminate it. And if I scale the image up at all so that there is no cropping from the shift it comes right back.

Larry Sullivan

PostWed Nov 20, 2013 12:44 am

We are beta testers indeed. I have the same issue. That being said, I still love the image coming out of this thing. I feel like I made off like a bandit, but they definitely need to fix this issue. I saw somewhere someone suggested it might be the protective glass(or plastic) in front of the sensor. That seems to make sense to me. to me it looks like a sensor pixel patterns, just bigger than the actual pixels. Maybe light reflecting off sensor onto protective screen and then back? Not sure.

trevorlmcintosh

PostWed Nov 20, 2013 12:59 am

I've been experiencing the same problem. I first noticed it in a lens flare from a car headlight. I dismissed it, thinking it might have been caused by a reflection of the cover of the headlight. But, I've tested it with other light sources too, and it looks like it's an issue with any bright direct source. It also seems to only happen in low light, no matter what ASA the camera is set to. Here's a cropped in still image from one of the shots I've seen it in.

I've heard something about fixing it using pixel shifting in After Effects. Can anyone explain what that is and how to do it?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 5.38.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 5.38.42 PM.png (189 KiB) Viewed 19468 times

Dan MCcready

PostWed Nov 20, 2013 7:49 am

pallelindqvist wrote:I did a shoot the other day and unfortunately also came across this issue, especially when shooting towards any lights. I guess there's probably nothing to do but to avoid such situations, but might be problematic shooting concerts etc. I'm attaching a frame grab and as you can see it doesn't look good at all.

Here is a wiki link on the Bayer sensor, it looks to me like the same pattern? if it is, it has to be something to do with the sensor and that won't be fixable by firmware updates.
It could be the covering over the sensor that's somehow reflecting or enhancing this pattern.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter

Ryszardkarcz

PostWed Nov 20, 2013 11:34 am

Exactly same problem

Has hightlights hits directly into the sensor, it apears.

Quiet anoing for number of purpose, impossible to make a style out of it.

Anyone got a respons from BM services?
Attachments
patern.jpg
patern issue
patern.jpg (243.06 KiB) Viewed 19390 times

richmondimage

PostWed Nov 20, 2013 3:09 pm

I have been having similar issues with both dust and the bizarre grid (although reproducing the latter has eluded me).

I did however manage to get rid of the dust using an ionized air blower. I realize I probably shouldn't have to do this with the camera just being a week and a half old (and can often create more problems than it solves) but I have been cleaning my SLRs for a while now and if you can remove as much of the dust from around the sensor (not on) as possible, it is fairly safe to hit it with a directed blast.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, too rare to die

trevorlmcintosh

PostWed Nov 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Although not ideal, I did come across a fix that can be done in post for this weird pixel pattern. In resolve, pan and tilt the shot by .5 pixels. It really eliminates most of the pattern and turns it into more filmic looking noise. Once again not ideal, since an actual in camera fix would be better, especially if you're not going to be the one editing/coloring your footage and turning it over to someone else. That's why I'm not a fan of "fix it in post". It's alright if you're gonna be the one doing the post, but really I want to be able to turn my footage over to someone who doesn't need to know about all of the camera's quirks.

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Nov 20, 2013 9:52 pm

It's not a fix, it's just a coverup. By moving the image by half a pixel in both diretions you essentially force the software to resample each pixel from 4 other pixels, like a tiny box blur.

trevorlmcintosh

PostWed Nov 20, 2013 11:08 pm

So I would assume I would lose a little sharpness in doing this?

Mac Jaeger

PostThu Nov 21, 2013 12:03 am

trevorlmcintosh wrote:So I would assume I would lose a little sharpness in doing this?

Yep. It won't be much, but half a pixel is still noticeable. I'd rather use selective noice reduction where necessary, not apply this overall blur.

Stu Lyall

PostThu Nov 21, 2013 6:58 pm

Only had my Pocket cam for a couple of days & this pinky grid flare enduced pattern is definitely present!
For me it only occurs for a split second when panning away (left or right) from a light source in a dark environment & seems to be due to lens flare.
However, there's no weird noise/grid when pointing the cam directly into a light source.
So is this flare induced grid because i'm using single coated glass?
This could be a real problem in certain situations, but if there's no fix then we just have to be aware of it & avoid.
Its all a bit strange really!

Yavor Dimitrov

PostThu Dec 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi all. I have also experienced this exact issue with the purple grid texture. I recently contacted New Magic in Australia who provide BMD's support here to request tech support for this.

I can confirm that this is a known issue. Here is the reply I received:

"The Blackmagic Design camera team have informed us that this issue is something that is currently being looked at. It has been alluded that it may be fixed via firmware, but there was no solid confirmation or ETA."

I hope this puts everyone at ease. It's not just your camera.

Nilscrompton

PostFri Dec 06, 2013 7:25 am

I got a similar message, it's something they're working on.

Stu Lyall

PostFri Dec 06, 2013 11:12 am

At first, BM UK/Europe did question whether it was user based, but PINK isn't a colour i expect to see in a flare & that's not even considering the Grid pattern.
Anyways, I can also confirm they are looking into this - just hope it isn't a dodgy batch of sensors, but firmware related.

E Lawes

PostFri Dec 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Our BMCC MFT does this too with some lens flares. It looks really bad on the camera screen and EVF but is much less noticable on playback in full screen. Hope they can fix it.
http://www.1-4-4.com/
https://vimeo.com/production144
@1l4l4

Liszön!

PostSun Dec 08, 2013 11:58 pm

I have the same thing with my Pocket Camera, and I actually remember seeing it in one of Philip Bloom's early test videos as well. Hope it can be fixed.

Stu Lyall

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 5:30 pm

Whilst we wait for BM to investigate the Pink Grid, i have found a solution.
I put my Variable ND filter on, put it to its minimum setting & the Pink Grid disappeared.
So you loose a minimal amount of light, but the grid isn't there anymore - its not ideal, but a temporary fix!

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Dec 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Boy, that grid is awesome... ah... ehm... ouchsome. I shot some night tests yesterday and finally came to meet the purple grid myself - filling a large portion of my image surrounding a highlit lamp:
2013-12-1000000.jpg
2013-12-1000000.jpg (402.89 KiB) Viewed 18713 times

When viewed 1:1 it is plainly visible as a light purple gridlike pattern. Its artificial nature becomes very apparent when sacled down to odd sizes, e.g. 52% (instead of 50%), because resampling will superimpose a scanning grid on top of that purple grid, and interference of both grids produces a larger grid structure:
2013-12-1000001.jpg
2013-12-1000001.jpg (121.11 KiB) Viewed 18713 times

I have absolutely no idea how the purple grid emerges, but i hope that BlackmagicDesign will find a firmware solution to this!

(for reference: shot with Sigma 30 f/1.4, at ISO 800, 25 fps, 180°)

Christophe Deshoux

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 9:06 am

Hello,
I have the same problem with this strange grid that appears in pinkish flares . This is a real problem. Something is not right . We have not yet tested this with the use of polarizing filter or ND ... but anyway, the fact is that it is not normal for any camera.
Fingers crossed for a next firmware clears all.
I told my dealer and Blackmagic media ... but all I got was a little vague answer:
"We Have Had a low number of users reporting this issue grid .
We -have -been ble to recreate the issue here in our test lab .
We Forwarded -have on the subject DNG camera 's to our specialist for further investigation. "
As personally and professionally , this defect is important.
To this day , I can not guarantee the image of my next production ... so I have to replace the camera.
Is it just a small problem that can be resolved via an update? or is it a physical problem that affects the sensor?
(it taught me that there recently had the same problem on a series of Sony cameras, a problem directly related to sensor hardware ... with the same grid more or less visible and impossible to solve)
Contrary to what the support says, complaints are more frequent.
But I remain optimistic, everything will be back quickly in order!
Christophe
Attachments
BMPCC-Koemzo.jpg
and I have several other similar examples ... And you can see why with this you can not shoot.
BMPCC-Koemzo.jpg (535.16 KiB) Viewed 18620 times

Christophe Deshoux

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 11:28 am

All my test were performed ProRes, RAW, with different frames and adapter, different optical, low and high lights or properly exposed.
It is time to recognize that this is not normal.
We know and work with very different cameras? We highly appreciate this little lot BMPCC, but such kind of anomaly does not have to be set by the person who handles the camera.

Christophe

richmondimage

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 2:48 pm

Christophe Deshoux wrote:All my test were performed ProRes, RAW, with different frames and adapter, different optical, low and high lights or properly exposed.
We know and work with very different cameras? We highly appreciate this little lot BMPCC, but such kind of anomaly does not have to be set by the person who handles the camera.

Christophe

Agreed.

It's really a shame Christophe because that truly was a beautifully framed shot.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, too rare to die

richmondimage

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 3:05 pm

As I look at some of the instances when I see the pattern in my own shots (as well as those on the board) it tends to happen when I am really pushing the limit of the 13 stop dynamic range. There is no doubt that the BMPCC really does get phenomenal range, but it's ability to process images outside that 13 stop limit, is fairly crippled.

I remain confident, however, that BMD will find a solution soon. We are due for a firmware update if they remain on target with the release of the 4K

tornado

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 4:14 pm

richmondimage wrote:
Christophe Deshoux wrote:All my test were performed ProRes, RAW, with different frames and adapter, different optical, low and high lights or properly exposed.

Christophe

Agreed.

It's really a shame Christophe because that truly was a beautifully framed shot.

+1

I tested it with different lenses and exposures (over, normal and under), problem appear sometimes in all conditions. Flares may be the problem, but sometimes i saw it without visible flares.
Nacho Tornado

Mac Jaeger

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 6:09 pm

Geoff Baxter wrote:The interesting thing is that in all the examples shown here, the shot is vastly over-exposed. Perhaps with correct exposure it will not be evident.

The grid is visible in all shots, i just selected one where it was easy to show others what i (we) mean. On further inspection i could find the same purple grid issue in many other shots, almost in all ISO 1600 shots from that night (all shot with sigma 30 f/1.4), you only had to look for bright sources of light and inspect their vicinity.

This issue is not just an annoyance in extreme situations, it virtually cripples the camera in low light situations. Maybe it won't be visible when you expose completely without clipping, but in some situations i rather sacrifice some highlights (e.g. car lights) not to drown the rest of the scene in noise...

Chiaroscuro

PostSat Dec 14, 2013 3:23 am

Initially I suspected that this "grid" was some kind of moire pattern formed by super-imposing two different grid patterns on each other (sensor grid & display grid) and viewing the image at odd magnifications exaggerated the effect becoming a pronounced grid. As Mac Jaeger pointed out, my idea of shifting the image by half a pixel resulted in a slight blur, although it offers at least some - albeit rudimentary - solution.

The "grid" however is not as much a moire pattern as it is a maze artefact. What causes it, I do not know, but it is certainly related to the de-mosaicing algorithm not playing perfectly nicely with how the sensor and all it's complexities are implemented: more specifically, different green (in bayer pattern) responses not being balanced.

I hope BM fixes this soon.
Jaco Spies
Visual Artist
Next

Return to Cinematography