BM Cameras and Converters with PoE switch in between?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

jibun no kage

BM Cameras and Converters with PoE switch in between?

PostTue Sep 12, 2023 4:42 pm

BM Cameras and Converters with PoE switch in between? As I understand it, using a camera via POE, to the camera converter, self resolving IP addressing via DHCP. But if I have say only 3 converters but 5 cameras, can I drop a POE ethernet switch in between the converters and cameras, then via static IP addressing, route a given camera to a given converter? Don't think this was ever intended by the design, but wanted to ask.

Xtreemtec

Re: BM Cameras and Converters with PoE switch in between?

PostTue Sep 12, 2023 5:21 pm

Nope.. There has been users that tested it to extend by network switch and sort of works as long as the switch is dumb and not managed..

But as soon as you connect 2 cams it fails as far as i can remember..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

jibun no kage

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 1:40 am

Yes... a dumb hub would be the same 'broadcast' domain which is what DHCP request/replies rely on to do the initial discovery, since no IP protocol stack is complete, i.e. no assigned IP address. Watching the traffic, DHCP resolves 1 to 1 between camera and converter only, implies just enough of the protocol and methodology is implemented to support the 1 to 1 connection. For such to work... you would need a functional DHCP server that resolves across all connected converters and cameras, something has to be the traffic cop for the IP assignment, in short.

As I recall there is no interface or method to access the IP assignment to set it static, if there was, that might be an option. I did a quick search via Google and no references at all to static IP assignment for POE camera/converter configuration, but maybe I missed it?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 1:58 am

It will not be possible to network these cameras and converters. It probably will not be worth your time to figure it out. They are designed to be point to point only. I hope this helps.

Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

jibun no kage

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 8:41 pm

Yeah, the only way I could see it working... if with a managed switch and isolated VLANs such that each camera can only see each converter. This would let us, if such worked, let us avoid physical patching of POE connections at the main patch panel, but it would be significant overhead to setup and maintain, via software control, versus physical control When just moving a patch panel, patch cable, a few inches on demand, gets the job done. I only mention that the isolated VLAN scenario as a possible solution for those, that just happen to have the skill set to do such. I happen to have it, by hobby/retirement part time job is video production, before that, 30 years as an enterprise IT architect. But how many retired IT guys, pick up video production, editing in retirement? Many? Not so many? :)

Return to Getting Started