Camera v1.5.1 available

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Camera v1.5.1 available

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 4:59 am

Hi guys,

Blackmagic Camera v1.5.1 has just been released.

This is just a quick update to address an issue with the weird motion blur observed when shooting at 180º shutter angle in 23.98 and 24 fps on the Pocket Cinema Camera.

There are NO changes to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in this release.

I strongly recommend running the uninstaller first before installing the new software.

Thanks

Scott Pultz

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 6:19 am

Great! Thanks

Chris Whitten

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 6:57 am

Thanks
Chris Whitten

Andrew Reid

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 7:14 am

Great to see this fixed. What was the tech reason behind the blurred frames? Just the wrong shutter angle for 180 or something else?
British filmmaker and editor of EOSHD

Jorge Molinari

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 11:47 am

Thanks Blackmagic Design! Now let's all brace for impact from the mob of BMCC owners.

Here's hoping audio levels are in the near future.

Andrew Gupta

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 1:30 pm

Thank you.
Media Production by Andrew Gupta
http://www.andrewgupta.com/

Juan Rojas Mancha

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 2:08 pm

BMCC update firmware? i think its dead for blackmagic support

Dustin Uy

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 2:25 pm

I hate to sound like the other whiners but GODDAMMIT fix the audio recording already, blackmagic!

WTF?? It has been MORE THAN A YEAR.

Just make it record properly! Im not asking for anything that wasnt included in the original specs! This should function properly as it was meant to be!

thomas bruegger

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 3:28 pm

yes finally..... eh wait no.... again no, not again....
wonder what is the reason that BM so eagerly refuses to release any fixes and no brainer features for the bmcc? some kind of defiance? makes no sence.
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Juan Rojas Mancha

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 4:00 pm

thomas bruegger wrote:yes finally..... eh wait no.... again no, not again....
wonder what is the reason that BM so eagerly refuses to release any fixes and no brainer features for the bmcc? some kind of defiance? makes no sence.

Of Course it a way to buy more new 4k cameras.......dont give support to the BMCC

Mike Schrengohst

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 4:17 pm

dustinuy wrote:I hate to sound like the other whiners but GODDAMMIT fix the audio recording already, blackmagic!

Just make it record properly! Im not asking for anything that wasnt included in the original specs! This should function properly as it was meant to be!

Heh, really - every shoot so far with my BMCC i have had to use the Zoom audio recorder.
It sits in the corner except for only a few type of shoots. Shame really.

Mike Schrengohst

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 4:19 pm

jrojasm wrote:
thomas bruegger wrote:yes finally..... eh wait no.... again no, not again....

Of Course it a way to buy more new 4k cameras.......dont give support to the BMCC

Heh, maybe they think 4K productions won't record audio….LOL
I sold my pocket camera as it was disappointing.
Won't be even thinking BMCC 4K…..

AdrianSierkowski

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks Kristian.

Thrilled to be able to use 180 now and hopefully hide some phase sync problems when shooting certain lamps.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

AdrianSierkowski

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks Kristian.

Thrilled to be able to use 180 now and hopefully hide some phase sync problems when shooting certain lamps.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Mac Jaeger

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 5:21 pm

Good to hear that you heard us :-)

Making good on customer relations here !

Dustin Uy

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Mike Schrengohst wrote:
dustinuy wrote:I hate to sound like the other whiners but GODDAMMIT fix the audio recording already, blackmagic!

Heh, really - every shoot so far with my BMCC i have had to use the Zoom audio recorder.

On my film shoots it doesnt matter.
But when i get projects with interviews, i have to get a h4n and sync audio in post. Cumbersome really.

who2host

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Can we please get an update for the BMCC. This is getting ridiculous at this point.

AdrianSierkowski

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 6:15 pm

I honestly can't say I have ever been on a shoot-- interview or not-- where we ran audio (aisde from scratch track) directly into the camera-- at least not since the days of Beta SP. The simple truth is that you'll get much better audio with an external mixer/recorder. And, with programs such as plural eyes syncing really is almost trivial. Hell, even without it, the simple slate goes a long way (so long as you don't do too many false rolls).
Granted, this won't work for ever situation, but I don't see how audio is necessarily a deal breaker-- especially as the camera does record audio (just without pre-amps, so one much use the appropriate equipment.)
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Mike Schrengohst

PostMon Nov 25, 2013 6:34 pm

dustinuy wrote:
Mike Schrengohst wrote:

On my film shoots it doesnt matter.
But when i get projects with interviews, i have to get a h4n and sync audio in post. Cumbersome really.

Yeah, on shoots with interviews I just roll all the way through on each person.
It does make for some extra post.
But if I know I don't have much time for set-up or the man on the street type
of interview, I use a different camera.

Dustin Uy

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 4:01 am

I find dslr audio usable with proper preamp like juicedlink.
Now the bmc even with clean audio it doesnt record it properly. You have to fix the eq in post which is ridiculous.

I love the image quality of my bmc and id rather use this than rent one which isnt practical sometimes.

LoganStewartDP

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 5:02 am

A lot of people bitch about the audio issues with the camera but professionally I've always ran dual sound which isn't even my department. I think that it being a "Digital Cinema Camera" they should focus on features that cinematographers need but are just too polite to constantly bitch about. But seeing all this complaining about a Cinema Camera's audio issues I'll ask for the professional features that this camera could use. Feel free to add...
1.) SMPTE BARS!!! - only seen like two people ask for this but it is on EVER professional digital cinema camera.
2.) Formatting in Camera - not entirely a pain the ass but useful
3.) Time Remaining on Card or Card Percentage Full - this is just unbelievable that it's not on there my iphone does this
4.) 4:3 readout of sensor for Anamorphic. - This would be killer and put blackmagic into a whole other demographic. It has a 4:3 sensor which few cinema cameras have so might as well use it! Make DPs reach for it because of that feature.
5.) Option to output interlaced when in 23.98p mode - a lot of monitors that aren't new can't handle it. (The panasonic monitor everyone uses on set can't handle 1080 and won't display the waveform, but it is old :lol: )
6.) Waveform!!! - Histogram is for still cameras and the zebras aren't great. Would be so amazing if I could see what the sensor is seeing before it applies the Rec. 709 or LOG lut to the monitor.
7.) 2k/2.5k ProRes 4444 - This would be awesome and save some space. Alot of project don't need RAW but 4:2:2 HD doesn't quite cut it.
8.) Framing guides - useful for 2.35 masking and if you don't do a sensor readout in 4:3 then at least a framing mask for it.
9.) Rec. 709 down the pipe - it's kind of dumb that I can choose Rec. 709 but the footage that goes to the directors monitor is still in LOG space. it's annoying and unprofessional having to explain to the director why it looks so flat and desaturated.
10.) FIX THE HIGHLIGHT BLACK HOLES - this is soooooooooo stupid and their is no excuse as the pocket has had it fixed for a month.
11.) 60p/120p - If it's possible you guys would steal the market away from the fs-700 which couldn't be bad for business. Even if it's like 8bit H.264 it's the same the fs-700 shoots which looks decent enough and the only thing under $50k that can do it.

I picked the 2.5k over the 4k because I value dynamic range and color range over resolution which is why I didn't buy a RED Scarlet. It is currently the professional camera in your line up and you should treat it as such. You don't see (as stupid as they are) RED updating the scarlet constantly but leaving the epic in the dark for months and years. Or sony updating their fs700 and ignoring their f55 and f65. Blackmagic is a company that sits up there with the big boys proudly in the post world and is found in every major post house somewhere. I don't know what's going on but there is no reason you couldn't do the same thing with your cameras. Stop focusing on your children's toys and focus on what will make your company successful in the industry, doing it better for cheap. ;)
Last edited by Tony Rivera on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Profanity
Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

Richard Oakes

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 10:19 am

Hmmm! looking at our forums people seem to be getting really wound up at the fact that we don't care about the BMCC and are spending all our focus on our latest products!

What could we possibly do to annoy them even more and show what a poor company we are at decision making??
How about yet another update for our brand new pocket camera, but we will make sure they know that this is defiantly not a BMCC update hardy har har!!

Blackmagic master trolls!
Richard Oakes.

leepatterson

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 2:52 pm

Thanks for the update. It also sorted an misaligned focus box issue that came about with 1.5
Happy Bunny:)

Sami Sanpakkila

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 3:01 pm

Kristian Lam wrote:Hi guys,

Blackmagic Camera v1.5.1 has just been released.

This is just a quick update to address an issue with the weird motion blur observed when shooting at 180º shutter angle in 23.98 and 24 fps on the Pocket Cinema Camera.

There are NO changes to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera in this release.

I strongly recommend running the uninstaller first before installing the new software.

Thanks

Why can't the Blackmagic utility tell me that there is a new update avalaible? And why does the computer need to be restarted? Even massive programs like Adobe CC do not require a restart...

adamroberts

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 3:44 pm

Sami Sanpakkila wrote:Why can't the Blackmagic utility tell me that there is a new update avalaible?

Good question... and one that has been asked before. Would make everyones lives easier... but I think it has something to do with how the installer is a bundled installer with many apps. It's not just a Firmware updater.

Sami Sanpakkila wrote:And why does the computer need to be restarted? Even massive programs like Adobe CC do not require a restart...

This is due to the installer installing more than just the Firmware updater. It also installs UltraScope (used with the BMCC) and Media Express. For those apps to run they need deep system integration as they connect via Thunderbolt. Those extensions need to be installed at system level for them to work. This requires a reboot.

It would be great if all the apps were separated out so you could install just the firmware update if you wanted to.

Michael Weathersby

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 4:18 pm

Fellow BMCC users... a wise man once told me this

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

Fear not BMD has not forgotten us... even if it SEEMS like they may have misplaced some of their attention.

BMD just hit us with like 6 updates only for the BMCC back to back and everyone will love you. Don't try to make the late 4k camera on par with us. Yea that camera is late... but as your first born monster I think we need some priority attention.

Dr. Frankenstein... you made us. Before you go making more monsters... fix us... please.

olddog

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 5:28 pm

I went to install this update via the Windows 7 venue and per the advice, got rid of previous version and then downloaded the V1.5.1

Plugged in the camera to PC and exercised the update option, after several minutes of loading and updating, I got a message informing me the update had failed..........

I removed the camera, tried to turn it on, no power, no visable indication of same, installed diffeerent battery, same result, plugged into power supply........can not turn camera on...........

So...............you may want to think before exercising upgrade via Windows.......juz saying.......and yes, I installed the previous update for RAW last week, via the same CPU/OS.

KylePopovich

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Thanks

How do I run the uninstaller Kristian? Could I get a step by step guide, my OSX Blackmagic Camera Utility doesn't display and uninstall option. Thanks!

adamroberts

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 8:27 pm

KylePopovich wrote:

Thanks

How do I run the uninstaller Kristian? Could I get a step by step guide, my OSX Blackmagic Camera Utility doesn't display and uninstall option. Thanks!

I believe Kristian is referring to the Camera Utility uninstaller, not a firmware uninstaller.

The best way to deal with the updates it to download the latest Camera Utility update. First run the uninstaller that comes with it (on the .dng on the mac). Reboot. Then run the installer. Reboot. Then Open the Camera Utility and update the firmware.

If you are having issues with the camera not booting up it could be that the firmware update failed and the camera's software is corrupt. One thing you could try is installing a fully charged battery and connecting it via USB to the computer. Then launch the Camera Utility. It should see the camera, if not it'll ask you to connect the the camera. If that is the case try pressing the power button. If it still fails to see the camera you will need to contact support as it appears you have "bricked" the camera.

Aaron Scheiner

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 9:04 pm

AdrianSierkowski wrote:I honestly can't say I have ever been on a shoot-- interview or not-- where we ran audio (aisde from scratch track) directly into the camera-- at least not since the days of Beta SP. The simple truth is that you'll get much better audio with an external mixer/recorder.

Oh come on... most decent cameras these days can record very high quality audio. The Sony EX cameras, as an example do 16 bit 48kHz uncompressed. They have good quality pre-amps with phantom power and trim. They also provide VU meters, imagine that. Why on Earth is that audio recording ability of unacceptable quality ? There are SD DV tape cameras which shoot fantastic audio... it's because technology has progressed to the point where audio is easy. Even the cheapest ADCs now do 16bit and 48kHz/16b just isn't that much of a bitrate anymore.

I have a set of Sony NX5s, they also have balanced phantom-powered audio inputs, they also record your choice of ac3 or PCM... the quality is great. This is why it's so incredibly irritating that the BMCC's audio is so horribly crippled - it has balanced inputs for heaven's sake, were they just for show?!?

It's like real nerds use vim.

adamroberts wrote:
Sami Sanpakkila wrote:And why does the computer need to be restarted? Even massive programs like Adobe CC do not require a restart...

This is due to the installer installing more than just the Firmware updater. It also installs UltraScope (used with the BMCC) and Media Express. For those apps to run they need deep system integration as they connect via Thunderbolt. Those extensions need to be installed at system level for them to work. This requires a reboot.

Under Mac OS X I just force quit the installer and then run the utility to update... it works fine - no restart required. BMD's developers don't seem to have the time to issue trivial updates to the BMCC so why should I trust their requirement to restart.

And on that note, why are BMCC owners STILL sitting without any attention ? Come on BMD ? Just a teensy... you know... teensy tiny itsy bitsy little bit of attention ? Little bit ? Please, pretty please with some begging.

I know that deep down inside you BMD, there's an update for the BMCC waiting to break free. :P

archcat

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm gonna hop into the audio debate.

I've worked with camera manufactures various time throughout my career, and the last thing they think of is audio. For 1 good reason, it a video camera!! They are meant to capture moving images, that is where they are going to put all of there eggs.

Now I work mostly in film/TV scripted production and we always have a sound recordist on a Diva, Aaton, etc….. I get each person on a lav and boom, mixed or separate over many tracks. This frankly is the only way in my eyes to do it. If we get audio on the camera I usually scrap it cause it's rarely any good and I would never go into a mix theatre with it. Now on some of the docs I've worked on (and I'm currently cutting one) we sent sound to the camera (sony F5, I hate the images by the way). I'm not using the sound from it. We had a sound guy and I'm gonna respect his work by post syncing the footage and using that audio.

That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Aaron Scheiner

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 9:48 pm

That sounds like more opinion and less fact. I'm not saying that on-camera audio is great when the onboard mic is used - naturally onboard mics aren't very good. I'm also not saying that a dedicated sound guy isn't useful... what I'm saying is, from a technical standpoint there is no reason to consider an average professional video camera's audio recording as unsuitable or poor quality and by extension there is no excuse for the BMCC's crippled audio subsystem.

Also, if you can afford external sound recording, then you should go for it because it'll remove the audio monitoring requirements from the camera operator's shoulders - it will most probably result in a better quality product, not because it's been recorded with an external device but rather because you've given the audio recording work to someone who hopefully specialises in that work (and is therefore good at it).

I should probably state that to date I have not relied on the BMCC's audio for anything other than syncing and/or TC.

Jim Cullen

PostTue Nov 26, 2013 10:39 pm

I agree with so much of this and you do mention some pretty vital features that are not often if at all mentioned but which are industry standard, though I think the BMCC should record audio competently given that it was advertised as being able to.

streetlightmedia wrote:A lot of people bitch about the audio issues with the camera but professionally I've always ran dual sound which isn't even my department. I think that it being a "Digital Cinema Camera" they should focus on features that cinematographers need but are just too polite to constantly bitch about. But seeing all this complaining about a Cinema Camera's audio issues I'll ask for the professional features that this camera could use. Feel free to add...
1.) SMPTE BARS!!! - only seen like two people ask for this but it is on EVER professional digital cinema camera.
3.) Time Remaining on Card or Card Percentage Full - this is just unbelievable that it's not on there my iphone does this
4.) 4:3 readout of sensor for Anamorphic. - This would be killer and put blackmagic into a whole other demographic. It has a 4:3 sensor which few cinema cameras have so might as well use it! Make DPs reach for it because of that feature.
5.) Option to output interlaced when in 23.98p mode - a lot of monitors that aren't new can't handle it. (The panasonic monitor everyone uses on set can't handle 1080 and won't display the waveform, but it is old :lol: )
6.) Waveform!!! - Histogram is for still cameras and the zebras aren't great. Would be so amazing if I could see what the sensor is seeing before it applies the Rec. 709 or LOG lut to the monitor.
7.) 2k/2.5k ProRes 4444 - This would be awesome and save some space. Alot of project don't need RAW but 4:2:2 HD doesn't quite cut it.
8.) Framing guides - useful for 2.35 masking and if you don't do a sensor readout in 4:3 then at least a framing mask for it.
9.) Rec. 709 down the pipe - it's kind of dumb that I can choose Rec. 709 but the footage that goes to the directors monitor is still in LOG space. it's annoying and unprofessional having to explain to the director why it looks so flat and desaturated.
10.) FIX THE HIGHLIGHT BLACK HOLES - this is soooooooooo stupid and their is no excuse as the pocket has had it fixed for a month.
11.) 60p/120p - If it's possible you guys would steal the market away from the fs-700 which couldn't be bad for business. Even if it's like 8bit H.264 it's the same the fs-700 shoots which looks decent enough and the only thing under $50k that can do it.

I picked the 2.5k over the 4k because I value dynamic range and color range over resolution which is why I didn't buy a RED Scarlet. It is currently the professional camera in your line up and you should treat it as such. You don't see (as stupid as they are) RED updating the scarlet constantly but leaving the epic in the dark for months and years. Or sony updating their fs700 and ignoring their f55 and f65. Blackmagic is a company that sits up there with the big boys proudly in the post world and is found in every major post house somewhere. I don't know what's going on but there is no reason you couldn't do the same thing with your cameras. Stop focusing on your children's toys and focus on what will make your company successful in the industry, doing it better for cheap. ;)

Dustin Uy

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 9:33 am

I really dont get why people are shitting on the audio requests.

WILL THIS AFFECT YOUR WORKFLOW?
WILL IT AFFECT BMCC'S UPDATES?
IS IT GOING TO DELAY THE 4K CAMERAS?

Do i have an external audio recording? I do BUT I prefer not having an external recorder. this is a more reasonable request to Blackmagic (than waveforms, audio meters, etc. though extremely helpful, they were never on the listed spec.) If Blackmagic cant even tweak the settings on the audio recording, how the hell are they even gonna update with waveforms and etc? (60p. IN YOUR DREAMS)

Jim Cullen

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 9:45 am

A sound recordist boom op-ing and mixing on an SQN + recorder also being tethered to the camera to the audio inputs so that, unless there is a problem, audio is imported to post with the pictures is how I'd like to work (and how I expected to be able to work when the BMCC came out with balanced inputs).
Jim Cullen

Aaron Scheiner

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only voice of reason here lol :P .

audio is imported to post with the pictures is how I'd like to work (and how I expected to be able to work when the BMCC came out with balanced inputs)

Same here. You'd think the fact that the audio inputs are balanced would be some indication that the camera was built to record *decent* quality audio... but that appears to be simply too tall an order.

I really dont get why people are shitting on the audio requests.
Real men use external audio recorders.

I think they've lost the source code/VHDs for the BMCC and that's why they've delayed updating it. I can't think of any other reason why they'd stop issuing updates for the camera.

bhook

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Aaron Scheiner wrote:Real men use external audio recorders.

I think you understand it now...besides, it's a CINEMA camera. :P

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Glad to see at least one of their camera products is getting an update.
Last edited by shanepeters@bellsouth.net on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Worzel Gummidge

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 4:57 pm

Is this for 25p as well? Nothing is clear about that?

cykla

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi,
I updated via Windows 7 without restarting the computer (uninstall of 1.5/install of 1.5.1) and had no problem at all.
Thanks BM for that wonderful device.
Cykla

Jeff Meadows

PostWed Nov 27, 2013 11:56 pm

I'v noticed that my camera lags when recording, about 4-5 frames will be the same frame, then it'll jump to the frame where it's supposed to be.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 1:03 am

Worzel Gummidge wrote:Is this for 25p as well? Nothing is clear about that?

No, this only affects 23.98 and 24 fps.

Tyler Peck

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 1:39 am

streetlightmedia wrote:A lot of people bitch about the audio issues with the camera but professionally I've always ran dual sound which isn't even my department. I think that it being a "Digital Cinema Camera" they should focus on features that cinematographers need but are just too polite to constantly bitch about. But seeing all this complaining about a Cinema Camera's audio issues I'll ask for the professional features that this camera could use. Feel free to add...

Just wanted to say this is a great list. It's astounding that some of these features are missing. I know, I know... people justify by stating the price and the ability to shoot log and raw, but that doesn't mean the basics should be neglected. Come on BM, throw us a bone and at least tell us what you're working on and a general time frame. I'm not purchasing a BMCC till I know what's up.
Ty Peck
Editor • DP
www.typeck.com

Jacob Pattinson

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 8:55 am

oh good thought this was an update for the bmcc THANK GOD FOR THAT :twisted:

Aaron Scheiner

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 11:36 am

Perish the thought :P .

JL Rocheron

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Thanks , Please update formatting card (each shoot will move with his computer becomes complicated for a pocket camera )
JL Rocheron
Film Director - Stunt Coordinator
www.onde2choc.com

vasillio

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 8:43 pm

any one able to download the update , i need the camera tonight and it won't let me download, i filled out the info and nothing happens after the click download.

Robert Niessner

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 8:56 pm

Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

vasillio

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 9:03 pm

thank you!!!

vasillio

PostThu Nov 28, 2013 9:33 pm

i can go back to shooting 180 now , do you guys still recommend 178 at 23.98? or is 180/24p fine now?
Next

Return to Cinematography