Export to DVD from Davinci Resolve 12

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peter Wood

Export to DVD from Davinci Resolve 12

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 11:13 am

Can anyone please help me here?
We have made the migration from Final Cut Pro 7 to Davinci. So far we are loving the new application. However we still are making DVDs for our clients. We can't work out a workflow to export from Davinci with chapter markers. Is there any way of doing this?

Cheers
Woody
Woody

Uli Plank

Re: Export to DVD from Davinci Resolve 12

PostThu Jan 14, 2016 12:55 pm

No. You'll need a DVD authoring software.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Charles Wannop

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 12:40 pm

Hey Peter,
I am stuck in the exact same position... did you find an answer?

Charles.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 4:54 pm

Get yourself copy of Toast if you are on Mac. Export ProRes, feed this to Toast and done.
There is no way to do it out of Resolve.

Charles Wannop

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Thanks, I do have and use Toast for smaller projects.
The nice part about using FCP 7 Chapter markers was that you could tag the file in the NLE, produce a single ProRes file and the burning/authoring package would "chop" the DVD into the chapters you indicated way back in the editing process.
But, since even Adobe have turned their backs on DVD production, I guess everything has to be a compromise now - sigh :)

Thanks again for your help.....

Charles.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 10:01 pm

On PCs there are solutions, including free, but Mac is not really DVD friendly :)

Craig Marshall

PostWed Jun 22, 2016 11:33 pm

Resolve is a grading programme with editing aspirations, not a 'swiss army knife' style NLE so I don't think Resolve even knows what a DVD is. I usually Export a DPX Master file of every production we make with separate .WAV Audio Master and use third party tools to make DVD's, BluRays, YT/Vimeo uploads, etc.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Paul Provost

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 12:20 am

I make them in Apple compressor. Works really well. What I haven't tried is converting to ntsc during resolve export. Might have better result than going HD>ntsc>mpeg2 all at once in compressor.
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Peter Cave

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 1:03 am

Mac is VERY DVD friendly. DVD Studio Pro, or Toast or Final Cut Pro X all do a great job.
I have not had a request for a DVD for a few years.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Leslie Wand

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 6:36 am

[quote=I have not had a request for a DVD for a few years.[/quote]

neither have i till the other day ;-(

frankly i really don't see the point especially if the client (or at least his client) is demanding shooting in hd and then complaining of the quality hit going to sd - apparently it's for a gov. dept that's stipulating dvd, (NOT blu-ray either) and in the hands of, yes, an mba...

my kludged workflow is export as mxf or dnxhd to either dvd arch or tmpgenc master works and do what's necessary.

re mac - can't be that dvd friendly if there isn't a drive ;-)
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Stewart Hemley

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 8:14 am

Mac is dVD friendly. They don't build a drive in because not many people still use them. If you want one you can buy a very good apple drive that plugs in and works very well. I prefer that to paying for a piece of equipment I might never use.

Also, Toast will burn a DVD that is a sort of hybrid blue-ray that will play on a BR player (or playstation) and looks about as good as a genuine BR disc.

And I occasionally get requests for DVD, so who am I to judge how my clients want my work presented?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 8:49 am

You have 3 solutions for Mac and few times more for PC including free ones, so I call Mac not DVD friendly :)

I assume FCP X, Compressor+ Toast is enough for todays demand.

Peter Cave

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 9:27 am

An external BluRay burner was cheap and good. I can burn quick & dirty from the Finder or fully authored in DVD Studio. It's a fun process because it's so easy.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Stewart Hemley

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 10:39 am

Peter Cave wrote:An external BluRay burner was cheap and good. I can burn quick & dirty from the Finder or fully authored in DVD Studio. It's a fun process because it's so easy.

Agreed, Peter. That's the best way to burn BR discs for the highest quality..

JPOwens

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 5:13 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:I call Mac not DVD friendly

What they are is definitely not BluRay friendly. Definitely seeing the traffic in DVDs going down, though, in favour of "streaming" assets. But still making them, mostly for traditional broadcasters and public agencies, government, educators, &c. Big job early this year with multiple-language subtitles and chapter-enabled study guide. Tried doing it in Encore 5 - what a nightmare. Finally worked when I moved the project into version 6 after Adobe "Support" told me that they no longer support DVD authoring at all. Thanks so much.

The Apple Compressor4 approach actually works very nicely for making simple play-only screeners.

From the early days of exploring BluRay authoring, at least my work-around to get a consistent disk was to generate element streams in Compressor, author in Encore6, export an .iso, and burn the physical disks with either Toast or Primera PTPublisher. So, at least 4 applications (not including subtitles or captions) to get one working result.

Anyone else wondering about "Ultra" BluRay? Seems like... way too much, way too late.

jPo

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Jun 23, 2016 5:21 pm

You cut my sentence and changed its meaning:)
On PC you have way more choice, but as I said at current demand Mac choose maybe good enough also.

There is really nothing at the moment for UltraBD below 15K$ (for authoring itself)- all PC. We may never see anything at prosumer level at all. Maybe some open source solutions on PC.

Robert.Berndt

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 2:05 am

I know exactly what you are trying to do. I do work for the government and they always require a dvd, and in some cases, VHS. Yes, VHS. *shudder*

In FCP7 I always put my chapter markers in there strictly for convenience because I had them in the file in case I had to change them later... after they finished deliberating and running the video through the committee and I finish the 1500th change to the product. I wish Resolve had chapter markers as it would help me regain hours to my life.

I tried to put chapter markers in using compressor, but in the new version of Compressor they removed the "save" so I can't save the session like the old one. Grrrrrr. It also crashed a lot when I put in markers so I gave up on it.

I ended up buying a program called "Chapter Writer" (it's in the app store). Does the same thing with the markers as Compressor. Still can't save the session, but doesn't crash. Put in the markers and export to new file. Import into iDVD and all the chapters are there. No problem. It's faster than DVD Studio Pro for me as the client doesn't care about customizations on the DVD menu (good enough for government work, right?). I simply just need to get it on DVD with chapters and need to do it quickly. The real bummer though, is that after I export it out, if the client needs a change, I have to reindex the chapters all over again ( sigh it would be awesome to keep them in my project like I used to in FCP7 )

Being that I do government type work, I have purchased a couple extra DVD usb burners and a stock pile of blank DVD's. They take FOREVER to upgrade media types so I suspect I'll be burning DVD's for 10-20 years.

Yehudi

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 11:12 am

Surely it is not just about DVD's? Maybe my workflow is different to most? But I need to export my ProRes Masters to INCLUDE Chapter Markers so that I can provide my clients with m4v files - and of course the odd DVD. This was always so easy in FCP.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 1:22 pm

There is nothing wrong with providing chapters as timecode in txt or csv file.
Resolve is not a product for your needs.
You cause eg. Edius which will have DVD output and can export chapter markers if I remember well.
Premiere also supports chapter markers in MOV.

Not sure why people so hard try to use a software which is not for their needs ( I assume fact that Resolve is free is probably the reason).

If FCP worked well then stick to it. Tons of DVD related software is now way outdated and requires old hardware.
Whole pro market quite often uses old machines as almost no one maintains DVD related apps anymore.

Uli Plank

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 3:37 pm

Why not stick to FCP? If you have it, you don't need to pay every month like for Adobe's stuff.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 6:54 pm

I used iDVD on my old iMac the last time I had to deliver a DVD. It’s still on that iMac Retina 27” Late 2009 currently using Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Shortly I’ll be updating to Lion 10.7.5. I was planning to go to Sierra (10.12 I think). Does anyone know if Sierra still supports iDVD?
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 11:14 am

Don't know about iDVD, but with Apple's Compressor, you can still add chapter markers and even make a DVD.

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 2:40 pm

Thanks, Uli. Good to have alternative solutions.
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 14, 2020 3:29 pm

I think it can add chapter markers while passing video through if you don't want to encode to MPEG-2 at the same time.

Return to DaVinci Resolve