How to: s-video to breakout

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Joa Oliveira

How to: s-video to breakout

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 11:02 pm

Hi guys,

Could anyone please explain to me how I can connect my S-VHS to my Ultrastudio Express analogue breakout cable with a s-video cable?

Some distant google pictures show me an adapter from s-video that can be attached to the green/blue tulp when searching for 'blackmagic breakout s-video' but I cant seem to buy these adapters anywhere. Are they real? Maybe even manufactured specially for Blackmagic?

Thanks!

Denny Smith

Re: How to: s-video to breakout

PostFri Sep 16, 2016 11:18 pm

You need a S-Video to BNC breakout cable. I have a few available still, $10.00 each plus shipping. PM me for details.
DS
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Joa Oliveira

PostSat Sep 17, 2016 7:05 am

Denny Smith wrote:You need a S-Video to BNC breakout cable. I have a few available still, $10.00 each plus shipping. PM me for details.
DS

Thanks for the reply. The thing is that I have two breakout cables. One with tulp connectors, the other with BNC connectors. Cant use he both of them at once, and I am currently using the tulp breakout cable for my S-VHS.

Maybe, to be able to connect s-video, I need to buy tulp to BNC cables for the audio, and use the other breakout cable instead?

Scott Smith

PostSat Sep 17, 2016 3:49 pm

SVHS has 4 pins. It is basically two thin coaxes, one with a black and white signal on 1(Ground) & 3(luma) and the other with the color signal on 2(ground) & 4(chroma). Unless you happen to have the correct connectors to make it yourself, you'll need to buy an adapter. But honestly, the signal isn't that much better than standard SD composite video. So, maybe you just use the yellow RCA that is probably there instead.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Denny Smith

PostSat Sep 17, 2016 4:35 pm

Scott, having worked with both, the SVideo connection is a partial component (chroma nice and luminance) connection, and is a cleaner video signal over composite (RCA). That is why I had these adapter cables made up with BNC to connect to the Mini Converters.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Joa Oliveira

PostSun Sep 18, 2016 6:35 am

Yeah, I think I'll go for just cutting off the S-Video on one side, and then solding back two male BNC connectors. Easiest and cheapest way. Almost impossible to find them on the net which are even remotely near the Netherlands..

Joa Oliveira

PostSun Sep 18, 2016 6:46 am

Do I need the RG58 BNC Network connector?

Joa Oliveira

PostMon Sep 19, 2016 2:21 pm

Is there no way to connect S-Video on the composite breakout cable? The option to select S-Video in Blackmagic Media Editor is available whilst having this breakout cable connected.

It would make it a whole lot easyer to get by the parts I need to construct the cable myself.

If this is possible, and I've managed to make myself an S-Video to Composite cable, to which color do I connect the two composite connectors on the composite breakout cable? Will it work the same way as the Intensity Pro?

As shown here:

Scott Smith

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 4:40 pm

SVIDEO is certainly a cleaner signal than composite. But when you have 4K video out there, the difference between a composite and SVIDEO is not a huge difference. There definitely is one, but it isn't much, especially in light of the many formats of high res video available today.

And NO to the rg-58 network connector. Wrong impedance and cable and probably not even the right configuration.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 1:05 am

You can take SVideo to composite with the luminance cable, but you will only have B&W signal. You need the two SVideo breakout cable shown in the illustration, one connects luminance and the other chrominance, to get a color signal. Otherwise, forget the SVideo output and just use the debts composite output, but does the Intensity Pro have a composite option?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Joa Oliveira

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 7:40 am

Yeah I'll make a cable that goes from S-Video to two Cinch connectors. And connect hem to Green and Blue.

Joa Oliveira

PostSat Oct 01, 2016 12:36 pm

Joa Oliveira wrote:Is there no way to connect S-Video on the composite breakout cable? The option to select S-Video in Blackmagic Media Editor is available whilst having this breakout cable connected.

It would make it a whole lot easyer to get by the parts I need to construct the cable myself.

If this is possible, and I've managed to make myself an S-Video to Composite cable, to which color do I connect the two composite connectors on the composite breakout cable? Will it work the same way as the Intensity Pro?

As shown here:

Okay, so after finally obtaining the required goodies to make the S-Video male to two Cinch (Composite) cable, I can finally say that it works like a charm. Its not as shown in the picture above. They have to be connected to the Blue and Red Y inputs instead.

Now all I have to do is wait on my AVT 8710 time base corrector. Which is, from what I've read, a good tbc. (??) If anyone could confirm this.. Please :D

Thanks for all the help guys, so far :lol:

Return to Getting Started