Power for fujinon ah lens

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Kevin McGrath

Power for fujinon ah lens

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 1:56 am

IMG_0169.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG (227.08 KiB) Viewed 5235 times

Just got a new lens
The problem I have is giving it power
There is a 36 d sub connector that connects to the hirose on the camera
Anyone know the pin out
Thanks in advance
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2
Panasonic hpx 300. Panasonic hpx 2000 Sony pdw 350 Panasonic HPD24

Howard Roll

Re: Power for fujinon ah lens

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 4:00 am

The adapter is housed within the sled. How you gonna mount that honkin' lens to a tripod without the sled anyhow?

Good Luck

Dave Johnstone

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 5:45 am

It's probably this connector but I wouldn't expect the camera will be able to provide enough power (this type of lens is normally powered from the Super Expander/Large Lens Adaptor). Use an external power supply or you'll likely damage the camera.

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 3.58.30 pm.png
Large Lens Connector
Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 3.58.30 pm.png (257.36 KiB) Viewed 5168 times

Regards,

Dave.
Freelance Television Broadcast Engineer
and Software Programmer.

Howard Roll

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 6:36 am

You've got it backwards a super expander draws it's power from the camera just like the lens, I highly doubt this camera has an option for one. This camera looks like it's powered via multicore it should be fine. I've never had to power a long lens externally though some have a 12v 4 pin XLR input, maybe if you're using batteries and a paintbox instead of a CCU it's necessary.

The OP is still going to need a sled, ESM, EMM, zoom servo controller, focus controller, and paintbox or CCU for iris. The camera itself gives little to no control over this kind of lens.

Good Luck

Xtreemtec

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 6:53 am

Well Indeed. You need a sled to safely attach the lens to the camera and to the tripod..

Thank you Dave for that pin Out. I was Looking for that for 4 years now..

I wanted to try this also But never had the gut to buy one and hope i could get it to work..

How is that SD lens working Out for you on a HD camera?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Dave Johnstone

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 6:58 am

The Super Expander gets power from the triax system (on some systems the triax loops through the LLA) not the actual camera but I was just advising not to try to power the lens from the Hirose lens connector as this will likely blow a fuse (at best). I totally agree the sled/Super Expander/LLA is required for mounting and operating properly but the OP may just be wanting to test it.
and Software Programmer.

Howard Roll

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 7:30 am

It's probably not a HD camera, it has a multicore CCU interface, I haven't seen that in well over a decade and definitely on any HD camera.

Here is a picture of a sled, arguing about a super expander, that doesn't exist for this camera, is pointless. The sled provides NO power and draws whatever power it uses, if any, from the camera (via Hirose) that may be powered by 12v, multicore, triax, or smpte fiber. The sled provides mechanical attachment and a simple adapter to to Hirose. To insist that these lenses must be externally powered by anything other than the camera illustrates a lack of experience with said products. Again, I've never had to power a long lens externally and I've used everything from an M7 to a HDC-2500 though I mostly only us Grass these days.
Attachments
Sled.jpg
Sled.jpg (24.36 KiB) Viewed 5151 times

Dave Johnstone

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 8:37 am

Ah, yes thanks for the picture, I do remember the sled-only type mounts now - that brings back memories! Maybe the camera can provide sufficient power for that lens, I don't know. I don't have specs on whatever camera it is or the lens power consumption so I just wanted to urge caution before using the pinout I provided.

I do remember some of the old Canon box lenses had an XLR4 external power connector for the situations where camera power was not sufficient.

Regards,

Dave.
and Software Programmer.

Xtreemtec

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 8:47 am

By head Sony and jvc both state 12v 500 mA maximum for lens power. Everything over that Will trip a fuse. Jvc has auto fuse for Sure.
I guess Sony should have that too. But not Sure on this one. Not gonna try it

Dave do you know the functions like the tally and stuff. Is that 12v or lower?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Sander Vreuls

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 8:58 am

A Grass Valley LDK4482 lens adapter is only 500€. You can power those locally with 220V, which then powers the lens. To operate iris you need to make a custom box that puts variable voltage on 2 pins.

I have the slightly smaller brother of that lens, probably from the same seller, an Ah66x9.5. Currently have it either with an LDK100 for SD or a GH2 for HD.. Would still like to try a BM Micro Studio camera on it.

I know a company running sled's like posted before with ENG cameras.. But they had to modify them because the current draw was too big for the Hirose.

If you want a GV LLA let me know, a friend of mine still has one he wants to sell..
Last edited by Sander Vreuls on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Johnstone

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 9:04 am

@Xtreemtec, It's a very long time ago I had to do tally interfacing to a lens but I'd imagine tally would be an open collector type closure. I don't think I have any lens manuals but I'll have a look. I do have some camera manuals from that era so I could have a look at the circuits driving the 12pin. The cameras I had to repair were either Sony or Ikegami and used a fuseable resistor which was a devil of a thing to get at (hidden by the optical block) but these would be old 4:3 cameras as it was years ago.

What other signals are you interested in?

Best regards,

Dave.
and Software Programmer.

Kevin McGrath

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 5:49 pm

I was using an old hitachi camera I had sitting around to test it out
Rather break the old camera than a new one
Thanks for the diagram of the connector
Looks like I am going to need a sled for the lens
So I would like that contact you have with the sled for sale

It looks like that 36 pinch to 12 hirose is with the sled

I see a few different kinds of sleds out there
Does any one make a difference
I seen an LDK sled but I am not sure about it

Any advice is better than none
I will be using a studio converter to a camera converter via fiber. So triax will not be used in this case
Atem tvs , studio converter 4 camera converters, hyperdeck,40x40 videohub. Master control, jvc gy hm700 &170 Jvc gy hm 150 Panasonic aw he50 aw he 2

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 5:26 pm

The different sleds have different mounting heights for the camera - given that they are all going to be wrong for a blackmagic camera then it makes no difference which one you choose.
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Sander Vreuls

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 3:04 pm

The LDK4482 sled with GH2 and Ah66 mounted. The LDK4482 receives power through a standard IEC13 ("PC lead"). The sled has not been modified further yet.
Ah66x.jpg
Ah66x.jpg (126.53 KiB) Viewed 5029 times

The iris control, basicly a voltage regulator with a 12V input, and then an output to a reverse hirose plug. I got the hirose reverse from eBay which was meant to power a lens, I resoldered the wires to the ones I need for iris control through voltage. Mounted it in a small box with a clamp
Ah662.jpg
Ah662.jpg (132.05 KiB) Viewed 5029 times

Kevin McGrath

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 12:03 am

Sander Vreuls wrote:The LDK4482 sled with GH2 and Ah66 mounted. The LDK4482 receives power through a standard IEC13 ("PC lead"). The sled has not been modified further yet.
Ah66x.jpg

The iris control, basicly a voltage regulator with a 12V input, and then an output to a reverse hirose plug. I got the hirose reverse from eBay which was meant to power a lens, I resoldered the wires to the ones I need for iris control through voltage. Mounted it in a small box with a clamp
Ah662.jpg

Now that is what I am trying to do
Do you have the wiring diagram for the hirose to 12 volt

Kevin McGrath

PostWed May 10, 2017 8:27 pm

I cannot get my zoom to work.
There has been a modification to the lens
image.jpg
image.jpg (936.11 KiB) Viewed 4811 times

So I don't know what wires go where
Does anyone have an idea

Return to Live Production