How many computers can I use DaVinci Resolve Studio on?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mr. Chơi

How many computers can I use DaVinci Resolve Studio on?

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 10:35 pm

Hello, I was using DaVinci Resolve for awhile and really like it, make much more sense than other options. However I'm starting to need features that only available in Studio version, so I'm wondering how many license do I need to use Studio version on my two desktop and one laptop computers (3 in total)?

Also, there is someone selling their USB dongle that came with the camera for less than MSRP, maybe I can keep it with me and just plug it in any computer I want to use Studio version with?

Uli Plank

Re: How many computers can I use DaVinci Resolve Studio on?

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 2:05 am

If it’s just you using them, you’ll only need one license. You can de-activate your license at any time and use it on another machine. You can even have both your desktop and your laptop activated at the same time.
Dongles show up quite frequently on fleebay.
Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM

Daz Wood

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 11:43 am

Uli Plank wrote: You can even have both your desktop and your laptop activated at the same time.

That's interesting. I am holding off until 15 is out of Beta testing before I decide to upgrade to Studio. Is there any documentation on how using two computers and one licence works as that is something I would like to do?
Thank you

Daz

Dermot Shane

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 4:42 pm

just download the software, install and use the same on licence both... that simple

Micha Clazing

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 12:27 am

Mr. Chơi wrote:Also, there is someone selling their USB dongle that came with the camera for less than MSRP, maybe I can keep it with me and just plug it in any computer I want to use Studio version with?

I can definitely recommend having both a dongle and a key. You can have the key activated on two PCs at once (it will say "Remaining activations: 1" after activating the first one), but having a dongle you can take with you and plug in anywhere is a use case all on its own.

Mr. Chơi

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 3:07 am

Micha Clazing wrote:
Mr. Chơi wrote:Also, there is someone selling their USB dongle that came with the camera for less than MSRP, maybe I can keep it with me and just plug it in any computer I want to use Studio version with?

I can definitely recommend having both a dongle and a key. You can have the key activated on two PCs at once (it will say "Remaining activations: 1" after activating the first one), but having a dongle you can take with you and plug in anywhere is a use case all on its own.

So I need to purchase two copies in order to use the software on three computers? It's a little confusing, BMD stopped selling USB dongle IIRC, so I'll have to buy one activation key for two computers and another USB dongle elsewhere?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 6:26 am

You can still order a dongle version, in which case you can use it on one machine at a time.
Tell your reseller that you want the dongle not the activation key version.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Micha Clazing

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 10:40 am

Mr. Chơi wrote:So I need to purchase two copies in order to use the software on three computers?

If you're feeling stingy, you can always just deactivate the key on one PC before using it on your third PC, like Uli suggested. Or just get only the dongle version and plug it in wherever, like Peter says. I like having both because my laptop has limited USB ports, so I get the convenience of having the key activated on my laptop, combined with the roaming freedom of being able to plug the dongle into any workstation I sit down at.

Mr. Chơi

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 8:11 am

Please don't get me wrong, I'm just asking questions.

I don't mind having two copies, seriously, $300 is a fair price compared to other options, plus BMD is giving away free license with most of their cameras. But, come to think of it, why pay another $300 if I don't have to :D

Anyway, do you have to have the USB plugged the whole time or just to bypass the license check screen when starting Resolve app? Having the USB stick plugged in the whole time might be a problem with a laptop.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 12:06 pm

The dongle must always be installed
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Micha Clazing

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Mr. Chơi wrote:Anyway, do you have to have the USB plugged the whole time or just to bypass the license check screen when starting Resolve app? Having the USB stick plugged in the whole time might be a problem with a laptop.

You have to keep the dongle plugged in for your entire grading session. If you unplug it, or it accidentally comes loose, you have 5 (I think?) minutes to plug it back in before Resolve shuts down.

Mr. Chơi

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 10:33 pm

thank you for your help, I'm gonna ask a reseller for a dongle version of Studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve