Filming sports with BMPCC4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Justin Jackson

Re: Filming sports with BMPCC4K

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 7:18 pm

@joe:
So, good observations. I am actually just trying to learn/play with the BMPCC4K to see how it does. I actually have a Prosumer Sony AX53 4K that I feed to my Atomos Inferno and record in DNxHR with. I even have a 21 foot tripod setup with long HDMI, remote, power cables to get good elevated footage. I use this setup at games when I have no stands/elevation. I was using my AX53 on a tripod as well and it works very well. I will most likely go back to that with one exception. Night games it doesnt do so well. It works OK, but the problem with the AX53 is it has only 1 manual mode option. I have to set that on Focus, so that when I move/pan camera, it doesnt continually try to auto focus. When I do that, I lose the ability to control iris, so as the field is lit better in some areas than others at night, the auto iris mode kicks in (since I am on manual focus mode) and you see the sort of stepped brighter/darker changes in the video. It is not a big deal, as I am ONLY shooting for coach review AND to make highlight reels for kids which has yet to happen. If anything the highlight reels would be a bit more epic style, but they are not to have music, etc. Scouts HATE watching videos with music to them (though I dont understand why its a big deal to just mute it... apparently most of them just toss it out if they hear music/audio).
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

rick.lang

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 7:42 pm

It may be the music can be distracting if the scouts are concentrating on player skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Justin Jackson

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 11:50 pm

Yup..exactly. Well that and you may piss them off if you choose music they dont like... and apparently it is too hard to just turn it down. A lot of kids put music to it and post it on youtube to share with friends/family as well. Or a lot of parents put music to it to make it appear cool as the events unfold and music is pumping.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.
Previous

Return to Cinematography