Camera v1.5.1 available

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Eugene Carter

  • Posts: 204
  • Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostSat Feb 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Moved to the a more appropriate thread sorry.
Offline
User avatar

Jace Ross

  • Posts: 426
  • Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:16 am
  • Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostSat Feb 01, 2014 9:01 pm

gr8pics wrote:I work with software.
Imo, its not about revealing new features, but generally just keep us in the loop.
They should hire a communication manager, informing us about the progress "hello again, as you may know, we are working on an update, but bugtesting of new features have taken a little longer than expected, so bla bla bla bla..."
It takes SO little extra to make a customers satisfied, instead of putting them on the ignore list, like they are doing here.
ANY INFO, IS BETTER THAN NO INFO!


They've frequently posted (even in this thread I believe) that the BMCC is not forgotten and they are working on updates. They haven't explained what the hold up is but they shouldn't need to, they are saying there's a fix coming unsure how soon.
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing
Offline

Raleighharris

  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 1:54 am

So my best guess is that blackmagic design has something so amazing, so groundbreaking, so world changing; that they simply have to wait for it to be revealed. Either at NAB or where-ever/whenever. Maybe whatever they release will completely change the attitude of all of us. Really i wouldn't put it past them to release something that blows all of our socks off. I am still enamored by the sheer beauty of the footage. So i guess i am sort of biased. I don't depend on my camera for work. I feel for everybody that got the bmcc when it came out. It really sucks to hear that not much has been said by BMD. That kinda scares me for the future of my productions and for others.
Nothing is for sure and its all in the air :|

Really, one thing they have proven is that they wont budge.
They remain silent.

So the only thing we can do is:
-Wait :|
-sell our cameras :oops:
- workaround workaround workaround :cry:
-write letters :|
-complain more :evil:
-join the team??? Hey BMD :D ;)
or
-cry :cry: :cry:

Seems like the 4k cam will require some firmware updates so those may be part of the firmware updates for the other cams. but this is all speculation, maybes, and guesses so pretty much F.I.I.K.

For the meantime i am having boatloads of fun slapping luts on my pocket cam footage. :D :D
Here is some shakey off white balance footage with minimal audio. ;)

The fooatge from these cams gives me goosebumps!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Crossing my finger and toes and whatever else i can cross in hopes of new firmware updates.

So basically i think what everbody is saying to BMD is.....
Offline

Raleighharris

  • Posts: 52
  • Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 1:54 am

Eugene C. wrote:Moved to the a more appropriate thread sorry.



what thread is that?
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 1912
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Chicago Illinois

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 2:03 am

Theodore Prentice wrote:"The Cinema Camera has zebra stripes now, and according to Blackmagic Design, they are adding histogram and waveform monitoring (at time of shipping, or in a firmware update after shipped units is not known at this time)."



I don't believe BMD have ever said they would add those features. You're quoting a review of the camera that says that they will without attribution.

JB
John Brawley
Cinematographer
Atlanta
Georgia
Offline

Theodore Prentice

  • Posts: 591
  • Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 2:12 am

John Brawley wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:"The Cinema Camera has zebra stripes now, and according to Blackmagic Design, they are adding histogram and waveform monitoring (at time of shipping, or in a firmware update after shipped units is not known at this time)."



I don't believe BMD have ever said they would add those features. You're quoting a review of the camera that says that they will without attribution.

JB


Im quoting the man that BMD trusts as a beta tester, and an insider to BMD tech and info.
Are you saying Solario made it up?
Did BMD not read his review?
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 1912
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Chicago Illinois

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 2:13 am

shanepeters@bellsouth.net wrote: I understand the difficulty in doing all this, but the problem I am having is I bought a product advertised to work a specific way. Rec709 in camera lut (still admittedly not color accurate....red/orange issues)


To be accurate, they don't call it a REC709 LUT, which is a very specific colour space. They call it "VIDEO"....

shanepeters@bellsouth.net wrote:and Audio that requires extra gear and a post fix to make usable are the 2 problems that hinder this product and its professional use on a shoot.



While the issues is well documented and should be addressed, many users have found ways to record acceptable audio in camera.


shanepeters@bellsouth.net wrote:... and ability to appy an in-camera lut that works without color correction (if you set your limited colorbalance option right.)


Where / when did they promise that feature ?

shanepeters@bellsouth.net wrote:do you think that would be a good buisness practice or ethic?


Obviously they are judged TODAY by how they perform and deliver. You make enough noise by yourself to make sure that everyone has a chance to do that.

jb
John Brawley
Cinematographer
Atlanta
Georgia
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 1912
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Chicago Illinois

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 2:16 am

Theodore Prentice wrote:Im quoting the man that BMD trusts as a beta tester, and an insider to BMD tech and info.
Are you saying Solario made it up?
Did BMD not read his review?


That's not the same as BMD saying it. You're drawing a very long bow to make your argument that it was promised. I don't believe they've ever promised that feature.

jb
John Brawley
Cinematographer
Atlanta
Georgia
Offline

Theodore Prentice

  • Posts: 591
  • Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 2:22 am

John Brawley wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:Im quoting the man that BMD trusts as a beta tester, and an insider to BMD tech and info.
Are you saying Solario made it up?
Did BMD not read his review?


That's not the same as BMD saying it. You're drawing a very long bow to make your argument that it was promised. I don't believe they've ever promised that feature.

jb


Hogwash JB, if somebody other than golden boy Solario would have said it then I would tend to agree with you.
Not that long of a bow when they (BMD) use that person to disseminate information.

Either way, I doubt that BMD didnt read (or have it read) the review (by Solario, on Creative Cow ..uh yeah)

If thats the case, should we not be trusting Marcos feverish pitches for BMD products in the future?
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 1912
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Chicago Illinois

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 2:31 am

Theodore Prentice wrote:
Hogwash JB, if somebody other than golden boy Solario would have said it then I would tend to agree with you.
Not that long of a bow when they (BMD) use that person to disseminate information.

Either way, I doubt that BMD didnt read (or have it read) the review (by Solario, on Creative Cow ..uh yeah)

If thats the case, should we not be trusting Marcos feverish pitches for BMD products in the future?


Really ? You want to have this conversation ?

An independent reviewer made an assertion without citation about a feature and you really want to stick to your claim that this was a BMD promise ?

Marco is independent of BMD. He only very recently started became involved as a tester, certainly a year after the article he wrote was published. I presume he published his review without sanction or approval from BMD....

jb
John Brawley
Cinematographer
Atlanta
Georgia
Offline

Theodore Prentice

  • Posts: 591
  • Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 2:42 am

John, are you saying he made it up?

Marco is hearlded as a very reputable "source" of information, is he not?

He was very specific in what he wrote, so it is doubtful that he made that kind of a statment without a valid reason.

Do I want to really have this conversation...why not?
Offline

John Brawley

  • Posts: 1912
  • Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am
  • Location: Chicago Illinois

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostSun Feb 02, 2014 10:38 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:
Do I want to really have this conversation...why not?


Because it's a tedious waste of time.

BMD didn't say it. It's not a promised feature.

JB.
John Brawley
Cinematographer
Atlanta
Georgia
Offline

Tvshooter

  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:39 pm

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostMon Feb 03, 2014 1:09 am

Theodore Prentice wrote:John, are you saying he made it up?

Marco is hearlded as a very reputable "source" of information, is he not?

He was very specific in what he wrote, so it is doubtful that he made that kind of a statment without a valid reason.

Do I want to really have this conversation...why not?


Marco is a very reputable source of information. No quotes needed around the word.

I'm as unhappy as anyone else about certain issues that are well documented with the BMCC. However I can make it work within the realm that I use the camera. It's not perfect and yes, it has some limitations.

None of which can be overcome bitching on an Internet forum.

Richard Campbell
Tvshooter Video Productions
Atlanta, GA

Arguing on the internet is like whistling for chickens....you can do it all day, but they aren't gonna come.
Richard Campbell
Tvshooter Video Productions
Atlanta, GA
Offline

Theodore Prentice

  • Posts: 591
  • Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostMon Feb 03, 2014 7:57 pm

John Brawley wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:
Do I want to really have this conversation...why not?


Because it's a tedious waste of time.

BMD didn't say it. It's not a promised feature.

JB.

To some extent, you are correct.

However, most reasonable people would take a calculated guess that Marco would not stake his reputation on making things up or passing bogus information, considering he was at NAB and most likely wrote what he did after speaking to a BMD rep.

Am i holding BMD to it? Of course not.

Am i pointing out that we've been hearing from BMD directly that there were firmaware updtaes coming, and also reputable 3rd parties (including yourself) for so long it really is a shame? Sure.

Some are ok with the myopic view/stance, and others can see it for what it is, and see past it.

To the person posting about my "quotes" - get over it and try not to split hairs so much, thanks. I think i will continue writing the way i see fit.

Carry on
Last edited by Theodore Prentice on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Offline

Soeren Mueller

  • Posts: 595
  • Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:21 pm
  • Location: Düsseldorf, Germany

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostMon Feb 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:.. get over it and try not to split hairs so much ..


That coming from you is actually hilarious.. keep up the unintentional comedy! :twisted:
Offline

Theodore Prentice

  • Posts: 591
  • Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostMon Feb 03, 2014 8:06 pm

Soeren Mueller wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:.. get over it and try not to split hairs so much ..


That coming from you is actually hilarious.. keep up the unintentional comedy! :twisted:


Thanks for contributing Soeren

Really
Offline

Soeren Mueller

  • Posts: 595
  • Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:21 pm
  • Location: Düsseldorf, Germany

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostMon Feb 03, 2014 8:08 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:Thanks for contributing Soeren
Really


You're welcome!

Keep going! 8-)
Offline

Theodore Prentice

  • Posts: 591
  • Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostMon Feb 03, 2014 8:15 pm

Soeren Mueller wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:Thanks for contributing Soeren
Really


You're welcome!

Keep going! 8-)



Did you want to add anything about firmware updates.. or just admire me further 8-)

:roll:
Offline

Soeren Mueller

  • Posts: 595
  • Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:21 pm
  • Location: Düsseldorf, Germany

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostMon Feb 03, 2014 8:28 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:Did you want to add anything about firmware updates..


Wait? You still didn't get the memo that there is no new firmware update and thus nothing to talk about? :shock:

You should check that coversheet on the TPS reports...
Offline

Theodore Prentice

  • Posts: 591
  • Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostMon Feb 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Soeren Mueller wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:Did you want to add anything about firmware updates..


and thus nothing to talk about


yet, here you are...
Offline

Soeren Mueller

  • Posts: 595
  • Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:21 pm
  • Location: Düsseldorf, Germany

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostMon Feb 03, 2014 8:41 pm

Theodore Prentice wrote:yet, here you are...


...and not talking about a non-existing firmware update :roll:

Here's your fish.. happy now?

><((((*>
Offline

Theodore Prentice

  • Posts: 591
  • Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostMon Feb 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Soeren Mueller wrote:
Theodore Prentice wrote:yet, here you are...


...and not talking about a non-existing firmware update :roll:

Here's your fish.. happy now?

><((((*>


Amazing how some of you get off with the backhanded name calling, etc. I forgot about the double-standard here for "trolling"

Que sera sera.

Back to firmware...
Offline

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 3202
  • Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:52 pm
  • Real Name: Tony Rivera

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostMon Feb 03, 2014 10:42 pm

If you want to speak on this firmware update or future ones, keep it on topic and not personal. I'm all for you folks having discussions about relevant topics but the personal shots will not be tolerated. Any more of this happening in this thread will be cause for locking it so let's keep it civil.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial
Offline

ChrisBarcellos

  • Posts: 329
  • Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:34 am

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostTue Feb 04, 2014 7:52 am

spacewig wrote:This forum desperately needs a "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" thread...


Its not Don't Cry for Me Argentina, but:

Offline

bmcuserLeang

  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostTue Feb 04, 2014 10:43 am

hello boys.

Does anybody if the next firmware update will include % or a detailed depletion counter for RAW recording. I'm currently using a 32GB Sandisk Extreme Pro, and when it reads "Card Full" it has captured around 24GB. This is not effective for me.

Also compatibility for Sigma's new A Series MFT DN lenses would be nice. However, I don't have problems with aperture control. Sometimes I do though.
Offline

FrankApollonio

  • Posts: 193
  • Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:13 pm

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostTue Feb 04, 2014 12:37 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:If you want to speak on this firmware update or future ones, keep it on topic and not personal. I'm all for you folks having discussions about relevant topics but the personal shots will not be tolerated. Any more of this happening in this thread will be cause for locking it so let's keep it civil.

an easy way to end all the tension would be a nice juicy firmware update
Offline

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

  • Posts: 414
  • Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:37 pm

Re: Camera v1.5.1 available

PostTue Feb 04, 2014 1:52 pm

John Brawley wrote:
shanepeters@bellsouth.net wrote: I understand the difficulty in doing all this, but the problem I am having is I bought a product advertised to work a specific way. Rec709 in camera lut (still admittedly not color accurate....red/orange issues)


To be accurate, they don't call it a REC709 LUT, which is a very specific colour space. They call it "VIDEO"....

shanepeters@bellsouth.net wrote:and Audio that requires extra gear and a post fix to make usable are the 2 problems that hinder this product and its professional use on a shoot.



While the issues is well documented and should be addressed, many users have found ways to record acceptable audio in camera.


shanepeters@bellsouth.net wrote:... and ability to appy an in-camera lut that works without color correction (if you set your limited colorbalance option right.)


Where / when did they promise that feature ?

shanepeters@bellsouth.net wrote:do you think that would be a good buisness practice or ethic?


Obviously they are judged TODAY by how they perform and deliver. You make enough noise by yourself to make sure that everyone has a chance to do that.

jb


wow....thanks JB. i see you while you have the time and gumption to nitpick a posting I made in refernce to another person, you still don't show the fortitude to respond to my post directly to you, asking you to have a frank conversation with your friend Grant Petty on our belhalf. Last time I posted directly to you I stated that I do not have a beef with you personally, although you seem interested in starting one.

So here is some more noise for you...regarding your picking apart my points....DUH...no #*$%. I know it is called "video", but the color science is purported to be based off of rec709. and it is not accurate. you have said so yourself. don't be so uptight....you know what I meant. when I made the comment about in camera LUT I am again talking about the video mode. I would think you also know this, or you are trying to belittle me....either way it speaks volume with regards to your attitude to people who criticize the petty approach to customer relations by the company you cheerlead for. toughen up. Regarding audio, sure...many have made it work. They buy 3rd party audio gear to get somewhat decent level into the camera, then fix that audio in post. Not what BMD told us we would be doing when they promised "in camera professional audio". I think you know what I meant then as well.

SO are you now moving from beta tester to just being testy? Still waiting to hear how your conversation with your buddy grant goes regarding why SO MANY of us are angry, frustrated and dissapointed with the delays, lack of response, unanswered questions and general lack of respect due to those of us who trusted and invested in BMD's camera line. Please tell us his response, as I would not expect him to ever address it in this forum. But then, maybe I will be surprised.
Previous

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brad Hurley, davorin, Google [Bot], Marian Munteanu and 12 guests