Disable clip/edit selection when moving between edits?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Abdelrahman Magdy

Disable clip/edit selection when moving between edits?

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 11:07 am

Hi,

When I jump between edits using up and down arrow keys, if a clip or an edit is selected, it keeps selecting other clips or edits I move to.

Now, that behavior is good when I am modifying multiple and need to jump from one to the next without having to reselect it.

But when I just need to navigate the timeline, this behavior is really annoying, because it forces me to deselect the clip before jumping.

Is it possible to disable that behavior? For instance, Premiere two separate commands, one that replicates Resolve's behavior and one that just jumps to next/previous edit without changing selection.

I initially thought it has to do with "Selection follows Playhead", but I checked it and it is disabled.
System specs:
Resolve Studio version: 16.1.0.055
Fusion Studio version: 9.0.2
CPU: Intel i7-4790k 4GHz Quad-Core
RAM: 32GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti 11GB

PeterMoretti

Re: Disable clip/edit selection when moving between edits?

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 11:10 am

That's odd. Deselecting selection follows playhead should do exactly what you're looking for. What version of Resolve are you using?
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Abdelrahman Magdy

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 11:33 am

PeterMoretti wrote:That's odd. Deselecting selection follows playhead should do exactly what you're looking for. What version of Resolve are you using?

Hi Peter. The thing is, "Selection follows playhead" wasn't even selected. I can replicate that behavior on both DR12.5 and DR14b4.

Don't know how familiar you are with Premiere, but there are two options to jump between edit points. There is 'Go to next/previous edit point' which works exactly the way Resolve does, and there is 'Go to next/previous edit point on any track' which just moves between edit points regardless of what is selected.
System specs:

Mike C Bonner

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 11:43 am

Not sure if you're asking what I think you're asking but, command/control +shift+A will unselect clips and edges.
Would be nice to have a simpler command for this though.

John Paines

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 11:47 am

This is a long-standing complaint about Resolve timeline navigation. The usefulness of this "sticky selection" feature is overwhelmed by the times it's an impediment to work.

The behavior was altered slightly for 14, so that when the selected clip is not on screen, the playhead ignores it and behaves as you would expect. But otherwise, the design is unchanged.

PeterMoretti

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 11:57 am

Mike C Bonner wrote:Not sure if you're asking what I think you're asking but, command/control +shift+A will unselect clips and edges.

You can remap this to a different keystroke.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Abdelrahman Magdy

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 12:13 pm

John Paines wrote:This is a long-standing complaint about Resolve timeline navigation. The usefulness of this "sticky selection" feature is overwhelmed by the times it's an impediment to work.

The behavior was altered slightly for 14, so that when the selected clip is not on screen, the playhead ignores it and behaves as you would expect. But otherwise, the design is unchanged.

That's a shame. Because I've got to say I had an amazing experience yesterday, turning a fast paced edit, albeit a simple one, using Resolve 14b4. This was the one thing that stood out as really annoying (as well as the issue with compound clips alpha).

Other than that, all the issues I might have with Resolve as NLE, will probably end up needing a change of mentality. Something that could be easily done, once I get used to it more.
System specs:

PeterMoretti

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 12:41 pm

Okay, I think I got it.

And like Mike said, you can use a keyboard shortcut to deselect the clip/edit before using the up and down arrow keys.

I think what you want is a "don't move selection" option. I haven't found the current behavior annoying, but that's just me. And it could very well be a good option to have.

BTW, Ctrl+W does not actually toggle on/off Selection Follows Playhead in 14b4. This seems to be b/c that command is also mapped to the Color Page's View... Show Reference Wipe command.

In 12.5 you could have a keyboard shortcut that would behave differently according to what page you're on. This doesn't seem to be the case in 14b4.

Abdelrahman Magdy

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Mike C Bonner wrote:Not sure if you're asking what I think you're asking but, command/control +shift+A will unselect clips and edges.

PeterMoretti wrote:Okay, I think I got it.

And like Mike said, you can use a keyboard shortcut to deselect the clip/edit before using the up and down arrow keys.

I think what you want is a "don't move selection" option. I haven't found the current behavior annoying, but that's just me. And it could very well be a good option to have.

BTW, Ctrl+W does not actually toggle on/off Selection Follows Playhead in 14b4. This seems to be b/c that command is also mapped to the Color Page's View... Show Reference Wipe command.

In 12.5 you could have a keyboard shortcut that would behave differently according to what page you're on. This doesn't seem to be the case in 14b4.

That is what I have been doing, but it is just an extra unnecessary step, and when you consider a long editing session and multiply how many times you will need to do that, you will see how it is a waste of time to have to take two steps for something that should be doable in one step. And that is coming from someone who is, by default, constantly pressing "Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+A" to deselect everything selected on the timeline. But I always do that when I finish one step of what I am doing. Other than that, I am always jumping between edits when clips are selected, which is annoying, for me of course, with Resolve's behavior.

This behavior always annoy me, even in Premiere which, by the way, comes with this behavior as the default, but I always change it to the other option they have. All I would love to see is another option included in Resolve, so I can switch that behavior off, or use only in the rare cases where I need it.
System specs:

John Paines

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 1:23 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:And like Mike said, you can use a keyboard shortcut to deselect the clip/edit before using the up and down arrow keys.

It's painful to regard an action which has to be performed countless times (and needlessly) as a "workaround", but for the record, when deselect is assigned to a shortcut, the shortcut frequently fails to work. Some selections in Resolve are so persistent, the only way to get rid of them is to click the timeline.

So we're talking about a disrupted editing operation (playhead doesn't behave as expected), one failed keystroke (failed de-select), taking your hand off the keyboard, reaching for the mouse, moving the mouse, clicking, then back to the keyboard, and *then* moving the playhead -- for an action which shouldn't have demanded a second thought. Then multiply that frustration by a few hundred times a day.

John Paines

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 12:02 pm

"Kludge" is the right word for it, but it's possible to write a script in AutoHotkey which sends a deselect command the first time up or down is depressed, but then repeats up or down normally after that until the key is released.

The result is, the playhead moves relative to its current position, whether or not a clip is currently selected elsewhere on the timeline. For those who truly can't endure the current design, something to bear in mind. But hoping, of course, BMD fixes this one.
Last edited by John Paines on Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Abdelrahman Magdy

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 1:14 pm

John Paines wrote:"Kludge" is the right for it, but it's possible to write a script in AutoHotkey which sends a deselect command the first time up or down is depressed, but then repeats up or down normally after that until the key is released again.

The result is, the playhead moves relative to its current position, whether or not a clip is currently selected elsewhere on the timeline. For those who truly can't endure the current design, something to bear in mind. But hoping, of course, BMD fixes this one.

That might be the only proper way around it, that doesn't disrupt the editing experience. At least, until BMD changes this behavior.
System specs:

PeterMoretti

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 9:56 pm

John Paines wrote:
PeterMoretti wrote:And like Mike said, you can use a keyboard shortcut to deselect the clip/edit before using the up and down arrow keys.
...when deselect is assigned to a shortcut, the shortcut frequently fails to work. Some selections in Resolve are so persistent, the only way to get rid of them is to click the timeline.

This IS totally annoying behavior. Sometimes you just can't use Ctrl Shift A to deselect the current selection. Just ran into it right now.

John Paines

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 10:50 pm

In the hope that somebody at BMD is listening, there's one exception to this complaint: persistent transition selection *is* highly useful and doesn't interfere with the workflow the way persistent clip selection does. It also allows selecting multiple transition points of stacked clips, just by moving the cursor.

Anyway, I would be sorry to see this aspect of the feature go. Never satisfied....

PeterMoretti

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 11:07 pm

This should be thought out and additional options added to make everyone happy :D

QUESTION TO ALL:

Would having the following two options help?

1. Don't move transition selection with navigation.

2. Don't move clip selection with navigation.

None, either or both can be selected.

Thanks for the feedback!

Charles Lyons

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 7:09 am

Please please please.

This behavior is incredibly aggravating and a good example of a frequent pain point for editors. When editing it's common to hit the up or down arrow to jump between edit points in a timeline. It's an operation that most editors do countless times every day without even thinking about it. But given the way Resolve currently handles selections, you frequently end up with an inadvertent selection after doing something in the timeline, and that selection now overrides the expected editing navigation behavior. Instead of hitting a key and jumping to the preceding or following edit point, you've now jumped to an unexpected place in the timeline, often disorienting you and breaking your flow while you re-establish your bearings, deselect the forced selection, and repeat your attempted navigation. Using "deselect all" before every navigation isn't a great workaround, not just because it doesn't always work (which is a problem in itself), but because navigation is such a constant, unconscious operation that inserting a three-finger command in front of every single navigation is like having to put your car in neutral first every time you want to change lanes.

Needless to say this can slow things down a lot - it's a strong contender for the single biggest editing workflow disruptor, IMO. An option to disable the current behavior would be extremely welcome. At least in an editing workflow, selection should really be explicit, not automatic (as edit points are more important than the clips themselves), and navigation operations should ignore selection (or use different commands).
Resolve Studio 17.2.2
iMac Pro 10-core 3.0 GHz Xeon
64GB RAM / Vega 64 GPU w 16GB VRAM / 2TB SSD
Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95)

kristen_maxwell

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 6:58 pm

I just want to jump on and add my agreement that this is my largest editing hurdle in Resolve 14.
I'm trying to jump ship from Premiere (and FCP7 and Avid before that), and this has been my main impediment in getting back to my comfortable cutting speed.

It also makes it nearly impossible to do a certain type of trim operation that I frequently find myself needing to perform-- a "fill to next clip."

Setup:
[--clip1--] ________GAP_____[----clip2----]

my expectation:

1. select the OUT edit point of clip 1
__v
[--|clip1--]_________GAP______[----clip2----]

2. press DOWN to jump playhead to IN edit point of clip2, keeping the OUT edit point of clip1 active
___________________________v
[--clip1--]_________GAP_______|----clip2----]

3. perform an Extend Edit to shift the OUT point of clip1 to rest against the IN point of Clip 2
[--clip1-----------------------------]|----clip2----]

4. resulting in this:

[--clip1-----------------------------]|----clip2----]

What Actually Happens:

step 2 does not work in Resolve, because i have no way to jump to the next clip while keeping the edit selection on the PREVIOUS clip.-- it always automatically shifts the selection whenever I navigate to the next clip.

the only workaround I've found is to jump to the next clip, set an OUT point, jump back to the previous clip, select the OUT edit, then perform a GOTO OUT POINT navigation (which does NOT move the selection), then perform an Extend Edit. This works, but it's about 3x as many operations, and quite a non-intuitive way to think about performing an edit that's otherwise mostly unconscious .

(I've made an AHK script to simplify this for me, but again it's a kludge)

hope this helps explain yet another limitation that this behavior presents. In my mind, it simply seems like it is forcing on the "selection follows playhead" behavior, and honestly if I want that, i'd be happy to toggle it myself.

thanks,

kris
HP Envy x360 Laptop | Core i7 3.1Ghz | 16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX Vega M GL | 1GB VRAM
Windows 10 Home v 1803
DaVinci Resolve 16.0.0.060

John Paines

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 7:43 pm

kristen_maxwell wrote:step 2 does not work in Resolve, because i have no way to jump to the next clip while keeping the edit selection on the PREVIOUS clip.-- it always automatically shifts the selection whenever I navigate to the next clip.

In your example, why not position the playhead at the head frame of clip 2, then using the cursor (not the playhead) select the out point of clip 1, and hit "e".

That said, I believe BMD has shown interest in revisiting this design. I use an autohotkey script which automatically de-selects any current selection when up/down are hit. It works pretty well, though a design change would still be welcome, with the proviso made above that in some cases, persistent **transition** selection is actually useful, saving a lot of mouse clicking. But not all the time.

kristen_maxwell

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 9:53 pm

Oh, sorry I should have clarified-- i've been doing 95% of my editing lately on a laptop on-the-go, so I don't usually have a mouse available, and so I'm trying to do everything i possibly can via keyboard only-- i despise the trackpad.

(my laptop's lack of discrete FN keys and the numeric keypad also make this more of a PITA than strictly necessary as well)

Do you have your AHK script set up with a toggle so you can disable the "deselect" prefix action when you're working on transitions? I'd probably try to hook that to the capslock key or something so it'd be easy to tell its status.

We should start a thread to share AHK scripts for Resolve. I just finished some killer features in my Premiere scripts right before I decided to try and move over... Now I'm trying to decide which challenges I want to take on in this app.
HP Envy x360 Laptop | Core i7 3.1Ghz | 16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX Vega M GL | 1GB VRAM
Windows 10 Home v 1803
DaVinci Resolve 16.0.0.060

John Paines

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 10:44 pm

I have it set up so a script runs at machine startup, which allows me to turn on the "auto deselect" script inside Resolve by hitting ctrl-alt-esc. ("up-down.exe" is the compiled script which removes the selection when up/down is hit.) Here that's startup script:

=========================
SetTitleMatchMode, 1
#IfWinActive, DaVinci Resolve
!^esc::
run c:\users\valued customer\desktop\up_down.exe
return
===========================

Here's the actual working script, which you can turn off inside Resolve by hitting the tilde key twice:

SetTitleMatchMode, 1
#IfWinActive, DaVinci Resolve

`::ExitApp
DOWN::
SendInput {z}
Loop
{
Sleep, 67
GetKeyState, state, DOWN, P
If state = U
Break
SendInput {DOWN}
}
UP::
SendInput {z}
Loop
{
Sleep, 67
GetKeyState, state, Up, P
If state = U
Break
SendInput {Up}
}
Return
==========================

The value "67" may have to be changed, depending on your keyboard responsiveness. Higher numbers are for slower response, if the cursor keys are skipping cut points. Once the script has been turned off, you can turn it on again inside Resolve with ctrl-alt-esc.

EDIT: sorry, forgot to mention that I have "z" mapped to "deselect" in the Resolve custom keyboard. That value would obviously have to be changed, if the default shortcut is used.

wolfgang hershey

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 5:43 pm

this one has been killing me
but
my current solution is to assign the ESC key to the deselect clip . (cmd-shift A)

that's a natural motion for me
and helps alot

wh
MacBook Pro (16-inch 2019)
OS X 13.3.1 (a) / 18.5 beta Resolve Studio - DeckLink Studio 4k via Thunderbolt3
64GB - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB
10Gb ethernet network

John Paines

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 5:51 pm

There's actually a much simpler way to do it, than what I offered above. All that's needed is a script which maps up/down arrow to issue a "deselect" command first. It's completely transparent to the user, there's no lag, so all that recursive timing stuff is unnecessary.

SetTitleMatchMode, 1
#IfWinActive, DaVinci Resolve by Blackmagic Design - 15.0
^`::ExitApp
DOWN::
Send, {z}
Send, {DOWN}
exit
UP::
Send, {z}
Send, {UP}
exit

The 'z' in brackets is what I have "deselect" mapped to in the keyboard file. But it could be replaced with anything, including the default for deselect. If you really want to be really thorough, you'd add a ctrl-3 command as well, to cover those instances where the de-select command doesn't work.

Joelarvidsson

PostSun Oct 04, 2020 10:01 am

Wow I finally found other with this problem. Has there been any software updates to fix this?
Resolve Studio 18.5, Studio driver 536.99
Supermicro 2 Intel Xeon E5-2687W 3.10GHz processors. 64GB ram. GTX 1080Ti GPU Samsung PM893 SSD for system, Intel ssd for cache. Windows 10 pro. Qnap gnap TS-1685 for media. 925MB/s & 1062MB/s

Jim Simon

PostSun Oct 04, 2020 1:55 pm

Unfortunately, no. Resolve still improperly combines the Next Edit and Next Clip operations into the same shortcut. :(
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve