Idea for the future

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jean-Jacques Dumonceau

Idea for the future

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 5:30 am

Hi,

I editing a feature film and this film has many goings and comings in many scenes.
I thought of a function that does not exist on any editing system yet.

I think it was very useful to have a function to mark in and out the scene (all the editing scene).
We can grab a still of this scene (this still is the editing of the scene)
and in a gallery, we can see all the film edit just with this stills (like the "Clip tab" color corection in Davinci for exemple)
We can put a different colors in the frame for each stills of the scene (to recognize "the past of the present" for exemple) and the magic trick is,
if you take this stills and you move it on other place, is all the editing scene that move.
I think this idea can be very usefull.
It's like the "scene view" or the "index card" for the script in the software like "Final Draft".

I'm not sure is very clear but you can ask me some questions if you want.

Thank you

JJ

Martin Schitter

Re: Idea for the future

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 12:06 pm

that's indeed a very interesting topic -- or at least i'm also often thinking about the consequences and limitations of common film editing GUIs and their practical consequences for filmmaking.

Jean-Jacques Dumonceau wrote:I thought of a function that does not exist on any editing system yet.

I think it was very useful to have a function to mark in and out the scene (all the editing scene).
We can grab a still of this scene (this still is the editing of the scene)
and in a gallery, we can see all the film edit just with this stills (like the "Clip tab" color corection in Davinci for exemple)
We can put a different colors in the frame for each stills of the scene (to recognize "the past of the present" for exemple) and the magic trick is,
if you take this stills and you move it on other place, is all the editing scene that move.

i think, the "storyboard view" in flame and it's way to work looks in some acspects very close to your description:

Jean-Jacques Dumonceau wrote:I think this idea can be very usefull.
It's like the "scene view" or the "index card" for the script in the software like "Final Draft"
I'm not sure is very clear but you can ask me some questions if you want.

yes -- it could be indeed useful, if applications would support more of this uncommon but very useful structuring tools, but i don't think, resolve will support this kind of features in the foreseeable future. resolve looks to be more like a solution, which tries its best to make things simple and close to operating conventions expected in nowadays NLEs. and that's not a bad choice. it makes many common operations really efficient and a pleasure to work with. but when it comes to more advanced or highly specialized needs, this approach naturally has its drawbacks as well.

what i miss at most in this regard, is a better interoperability with third party extensions and helper applications. right now, it's nearly impossible to develop any addons for resolve, which could take care of more specialized needs and usage scenarios, like yours. but it's really hard to foresee, if BMD will ever open any useful documentation about resolves internal database structure or open APIs to third party developers, to create extensions and bridges to various other software.

Jean-Jacques Dumonceau

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 4:04 am

Thank you Martin Schitter, it seems the "storyboard view" in flame is relatively close and it's strange that this idea wasn't developed. I didn't know the BMD lack of openness but who knows... one day perhaps some bridge and extension will arise.

Sam Steti

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 7:13 am

Hi Jean-Jacques,

Yes, your idea is indeed interesting, though I'll have to read again and watch the Flame video too.

But at this point, I'm sure we cannot talk about "lack of openness" from BMD : they've added tons of features in the 25 past months and seem to really listen to customers notices and suggestions. Therefore that statement is way too severe imho
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Jean-Jacques Dumonceau

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 3:56 am

Hi Sam,

Sorry, it was not a reproach.
I know they work a lot on their products (the proof with DaVinci Resolve 14)
There are choices to make and I understand.
Sorry if I seemed severe in my answer, I was only responding to the previous message. But maybe I misunderstood it.
If my idea seems interesting to you and that it exists since 2015 on Flame, it's curious that this function is not included on editing software, isn't it.

Return to DaVinci Resolve