Powering BMPCC 4k via Feelworld FW568 monitor

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Kappei

Powering BMPCC 4k via Feelworld FW568 monitor

PostSat Jan 04, 2020 3:37 pm

Hello Everyone,

I know the topic has been discussed in different ways and forms but I can't find a feedback about my precise setup and I'm having a couple of issue, I wish someone could help me!

I'm trying to power my BMPCC 4k with the following:

Feelworld monitor FW568 with DC OUT 8.4 Volt

Baxxtar Energy NP-970 Plus (7.2V . 10500mAh 75.6Wh)

Dummy LP-E6N

Haven't tested the overall power duration with a full charged battery but I have this issue:

Camera won't power up if I connect the Dummy to the DC OUT 8.4V on the monitor. It tries to boot continuosly but can't fully boot.

IT WORKS if I connect the Dummy to the DC-OUT ON the Battery itself (this battery model has one DC and one USB out), and I'm able to power both the Monitor and the Camera this way.

What I don't get is why the monitor dc out can't power the camera on.

It depends on the battery V? (7.2V throuh a DC OUT 8.4V? I'm not an electric expert so I can't say). Note that it doesn't work with classic NP-970 batteries as well.

Hope someone can help! ty

Denny Smith

Re: Powering BMPCC 4k via Feelworld FW568 monitor

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 8:10 pm

The monitor’s DC-DC power supply was designed for lower wattage applications, like mirrorless or DSLRs, the Pocket 4K need a minimum of around 22 watts, which your battery can supply, but not the Monitor output. I had the same issue with a SmallHD Focus Monitor. That said, I would be careful powering a monitor and camera with the same battery, as ground loop issues can occur, resulting in damage to camera or monitor. I personally prefer to power mine from separate batteries, or a battery pack like Dmitry’s Micro Camera pack, which has regulated individual outputs, but even Dmitry feels their is still a risk of a static feed back.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kappei

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 1:20 pm

Denny Smith wrote:The monitor’s DC-DC power supply was designed for lower wattage applications, like mirrorless or DSLRs, the Pocket 4K need a minimum of around 22 watts, which your battery can supply, but not the Monitor output. I had the same issue with a SmallHD Focus Monitor. That said, I would be careful powering a monitor and camera with the same battery, as ground loop issues can occur, resulting in damage to camera or monitor. I personally prefer to power mine from separate batteries, or a battery pack like Dmitry’s Micro Camera pack, which has regulated individual outputs, but even Dmitry feels their is still a risk of a static feed back.
Cheers

I see, thanks.
I'm trying this setup because found out different people on the web that are happy with it, and because I absolutely need an as lightweight as possible solution to power the camera from an external source. And having 2 NP-970 batteries (1 per monitor, 1 per camera) on the same rig is not that great.

Would a V-Mount battery which power the camera through the AC input and the monitor through it's DC input a feasible solution, or you discourage the same power source for both monitor and camera in any case? (so independently from the source battery capacity)

Nick Heydon

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 6:09 am

I power my camera and monitor through a v-mount plate that has D-tap and a few DC outputs.

So I run the monitor with D-Tap and the camera with a 7.2v - lpe6 dummy battery. I chose to go this route so I can leave everything rigged up when I put it in the bag. I don't like the idea of the power-cable sticking out of the camera when it's in the bag, and don't want to plug/unplug every-time I want to shoot.

Kappei

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 5:48 pm

Nick Heydon wrote:I power my camera and monitor through a v-mount plate that has D-tap and a few DC outputs.

So I run the monitor with D-Tap and the camera with a 7.2v - lpe6 dummy battery. I chose to go this route so I can leave everything rigged up when I put it in the bag. I don't like the idea of the power-cable sticking out of the camera when it's in the bag, and don't want to plug/unplug every-time I want to shoot.

Thanks,
for what I understood by surfing the web, a V mount is a definitive a safer solution and is something I'll aim to.

Still try to setup a lighter rig with 1 np970 meanwhile

Denny Smith

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 6:28 am

A single NP 970, does not have the watt hour power to power both a Pocket 4K and the Monitor. The camera requires 22-30 watts alone. This is why you need a larger battery setup. Dmitry’s Micro Camera Battery back has the owner to run both, I have tested this with a Picket 4K and a PixE 5-inch Monitor, which has a bigger power draw than the Freeworld Monitor.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Chris Shivers

PostTue Jan 14, 2020 7:47 am

Buy a npf battery with the dc port in it then get a lpe6 dummy battery to dc. Stick that dummy battery in the pocket 4K and the dc cable in the npf battery. I have the atomos shinobi 5 sdi and I use that to power the pocket 4K and the monitor. It gives me about two hours

Kappei

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 1:37 pm

Chris Shivers wrote:Buy a npf battery with the dc port in it then get a lpe6 dummy battery to dc. Stick that dummy battery in the pocket 4K and the dc cable in the npf battery. I have the atomos shinobi 5 sdi and I use that to power the pocket 4K and the monitor. It gives me about two hours

nice, this is my setup actually, I just hope that long term usage is not going to cause electrical issues as mentioned before

Return to Cinematography