Resolve adding contrast on export

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

outsideworldwide

Resolve adding contrast on export

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 2:00 am

I'm having a consistent problem where I'll get my color grade dialed in in Davinci, then Resolve will add a ton of extra contrast (and maybe underexpose?) on export. I know the proper way to grade is to use a color calibrated monitor, but most of the work I do is travel based content that I edit on the road so this isn't possible. Here's what I'm working on:

2019 Macbook Pro
2.3 GHz Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

It seems like the problem is the worst with Prores 422 (which is what I normally deliver in). I got a bit better results in h.264 but it's still way darker and more contrasty than what I'm seeing in the program monitor. I've attached screen grabs of the program monitor, h.264 and prores exports below. The scopes are showing the shadows at around 128 so they shouldn't be as dark as they are. It's very aggravating since I'll get my grade perfect in DVR and then have to do 2-3 extra passes guessing how much to overexpose the image in Davinci to get a decent result in the export. Is this a settings issue? I'm a director working on becoming a one man band so some of the technical details are over my head. Here's the settings I'm using:

Format: Apple Pro Res 422 HQ
1080p export
Field rendering, network optimization and use constant bitrate unchecked
Square pixels, full data levels
Retain sub-blacks unchecked
color space, gamma and data burn in same as project
Enable flat pass off

Any insight from you guys is very much appreciated. Thanks!!!
Attachments
ProRes422 jpeg.jpg
Prores 422 Export
ProRes422 jpeg.jpg (607.96 KiB) Viewed 4922 times
h264 jpeg.jpg
H.264 Export
h264 jpeg.jpg (575.26 KiB) Viewed 4922 times
Monitor jpeg.jpg
Program Monitor
Monitor jpeg.jpg (631.18 KiB) Viewed 4922 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve adding contrast on export

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 2:42 am

i doubt Resolve is adding anything on the render.
What are you viewing the renders on?
Put the render back into Resolve, and if it still looks the same then the issue is likely what you are playing back on. If that's typical of what others will use to watch, then you need to set up to generate that grade.

What do you have set here, in preferences?
Try the Color management setting to sRGB to see if that helps you.

and this thread is worth reviewing
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=101253
Attachments
sRGB.png
sRGB.png (70.67 KiB) Viewed 4922 times
Preferencs.png
Preferencs.png (146.17 KiB) Viewed 4922 times
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jim Simon

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 1:09 pm

outsideworldwide wrote:I edit on the road so this isn't possible.

You have to get the content off the computer and onto a calibrated display. That's not an option. It's the only way to know you're seeing the image as it is.

Whether you use an I/O device hooked up to Resolve, or a thumb drive plugged into a calibrated TV, one way or another, you have to eliminate the variables that can and often do alter the image - the OS, the GPU driver, software players, etc.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dmytro Shijan

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 4:34 pm

It could be also wrong full vs video levels setup. Set your levels in project settings, clip attributes and render settings to "Auto" and see if it helps.
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Marc Wielage

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 1:29 am

Read these:

"Grading for Mixed Delivery: Cinema, Home, and Every Screen in Between" by Cullen Kelly
https://blog.frame.io/2019/10/14/gradin ... -delivery/

and
"How to Deal with Levels: Full vs. Video" by Dan Swierenga
https://www.thepostprocess.com/2019/09/ ... l-vs-video

and I think both cover the issues and the solutions very well. Understanding color management is also helpful:

"Color Management for Video Editors"
https://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-and-video ... o-editors/
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

rick.lang

PostMon Apr 06, 2020 1:03 pm

Marc, thanks again for these articles that provide great information and insights but having just read Dan’s article, it really lacks clear direction and certainty about specific hardware and software as it too often speaks in general terms. There are lots of references to Resolve (or others) but I didn’t come away from knowing much more than from the lengthy descriptions than his clear conclusions that reiterate the same message we’ve heard for many years that could be ‘translated’ as: use a Decklink card with a FSI video monitor or better. Personally now I can do that as I’m finally working with the Mac Pro but there’s no love for my Mac Pro XDR Display anywhere because it may be too new and the re-calibration components of that XDR are not released yet AFAIK.

Even though the article is recent (according to the dates comments, not the undated body of the article), it feels rather old as it doesn’t mention if there is any impact on the discussion of digital levels by LCD versus OLED and the variety of most recent television display technologies such as HLG HDR versus SDR.

And how does DCI-P3 and Rec.2020 fit in? Okay I’m being a little unfair with that last question!
Rick Lang

Rodrigo Silvestri

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 6:41 am

Hi. I have seen this issue on two separate Macs, but it fortunately doesn't happen on the one I use for grading.
ProRes exports have more contrast only on the blacks (not as video/data levels which affects both ends of the curve, highs and lows). I checked and it is not an issue of metadata or video levels.
I saw this on Resolve 17.1 on an iMac, and I don't know what the other computer was since I was logging in remotely. In both cases I checked loading the render and comparing inside Resolve, so it's not a QT issue.
I'd like to know what causes it and if it will be solved or if there is any solution.

Thanks,
Rodrigo

Edit: My momentary solution was rendering in MXF DNxHR instead of ProRes.

Return to DaVinci Resolve