some clarifications on the decklink 4k extreme 12G

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

noamsmadja

some clarifications on the decklink 4k extreme 12G

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 12:24 pm

I purchased the 4k extreme thinking I could achieve all kinds of things but apparently I did not read the manual well enough.

I was thinking, great, i'll have 2 separate SDI inputs and 1 hdmi input which I will be able to manipulate and then send it off to 2 separate SDI outputs and 1 hdmi output (screens per say)...

but, it seems i am either absolutely misunderstood the fancy description on the website or I am doing something wrong!

my questions are:
1. can i have 3 separate (different) captures? 2 in SDI and 1 in HDMI. if so, how?
2. can i have 3 separate (different) outputs (screens)? 2 on sdi and 1 on hdmi? if so, how? i was expecting the card to add "screens" to the computer, like connecting an hdmi to a graphics card.
3. XLR audio input, is it a capture? meaning, can I see this line in on my audio devices on my pc?

Thank you for the quick reply!

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

Re: some clarifications on the decklink 4k extreme 12G

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 6:35 pm

Hello, Noam,

Decklink 4K Extreme is ultimately a single 'stream' device. While it has more than one connector for SDI, the connectors are used to capture a single source's video. You cannot send more than one source to this unit.
Multiple BNC inputs are intended for SDI signals that require more than one cable to transmit.

To answer your specific questions:
1. No, you cannot.
2. All fo the outputs will display the same image. The Decklink will not extend your desktop — as it is a device that requires an application written to use it to supply video for output.
3. XLR audio output is present to support video sources only — it will not capture audio only on its own. You will need to capture XLR concurrently with a video signal.
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

Return to Getting Started