individual clips and audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jeff Brass

individual clips and audio

PostTue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 pm

Hi all, Happy New Year.

I have to render out a few hundred clips, each needs to keep its original clip name - no probs doing that with deliver individual clips.

however - I also need each clip to have its edited/modified audio - which of course isn't an option using the individual method.

Any ideas of how best to tackle this?

cheers
J
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Jim Simon

• Warnings: 1

Re: individual clips and audio

PostTue Jan 08, 2019 11:24 pm

I don't think you can.

Peter Benson

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 12:44 pm

No RENDER Page output involving Render Individual Clips with "Timeline Audio"?

#WowJustWOW! Here's hoping you're *wrong* Jim.
[Re]Pete
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Vit Reiter

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Maybe I don't understand well.
Why can't you export individual clips after editing? Each clip on the timeline will be routinely exported.
DaVinci Resolve 16.2.5 Studio
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
iMac 2017, Radeon Pro 575, 24GB RAM, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Encoding technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Peter Benson

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 1:24 pm

Vit Reiter wrote:Maybe I don't understand well.
Why can't you export individual clips after editing? Each clip on the timeline will be routinely exported.
You must factor in both aspects of the OP's stated concern/question: that of exporting individual clips -- but along with the associated segment of edited/processed/mixed Timeline [i e., "Record"] Audio.

That's what many of us editors need as an option upon rendering.
[Re]Pete
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Vit Reiter

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 3:30 pm

If you have separately audio and video files, You have to link them.
Then You can use Individual clips export.

xunile

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 5:23 pm

If you right click a clip in the clip timeline of the Render tab, you can choose "Render this clip", which should keep any edits and allow you to name it whatever you want.
Win 10 Home
Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB
Resolve 16.2.4

Jeff Brass

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 10:41 pm

yes, I can do it clip by clip - which is what I did. all 400 hundred of them, each manually renamed. took flipping hours, then of course the time to find the 2 that didn't render etc etc etc

xunile wrote:If you right click a clip in the clip timeline of the Render tab, you can choose "Render this clip", which should keep any edits and allow you to name it whatever you want.

yep, right click etc type in reel name/file name etc etc....that is fine for a few clips only, but 400? that's a hell of a lot of mouse and keyboard work. not to mention the introduced potential for manually naming a wrong key/number. And a seriously slow workflow.

I can't believe we have been asking for render individual clips with timeline audio for a few years now -

Peter Cave

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 11:35 pm

I can't recall seeing this requested feature in any other professional editing software.
It's worth keeping in mind that Render Individual Clips is intended ONLY for round-trip workflows.
Resolve 16.2.5
Mac OSX 10.14.6, Hackintosh i7 8700 32GB RAM, Radeon RX 580 8GB
Decklink Studio 2, FSI LM1770 Monitor

Jeff Brass

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 11:53 pm

Peter Cave wrote:I can't recall seeing this requested feature in any other professional editing software.
It's worth keeping in mind that Render Individual Clips is intended ONLY for round-trip workflows.

Hi Peter, thanks for your comments.
Yeah I totally get that its designed for round tripping. However, its so close to being a valuable tool for other purposes too.

With that in mind, can you tell me an effective way to currently bring in 400 clips, apply some audio processing then render each clip as individual clips with the edited audio and existing file names?
I spent many hours doing this manually and its something we will have to do from time to time.

One of the things I enjoy with DR is the workflow speed increase with edit/grade/audio etc all in one - but this task was extremely slow, tedious and open to mistakes. and yeah I made a couple of typos once my eyes/brain started to glaze over which then added more time in finding and correcting the mistakes.

And its been talked/asked about a number of times in DR forum..as for other professional editing software - I don't use any other, and I don't frequent their forums so I have no idea what other NLE's do or can do in this respect.

I'd hope that just because others don't do it, it doesn't mean BMD won't look at it as a potential feature upgrade.

thanks

Vit Reiter

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 am

Jeff,

maybe I still do not understand what you need to do? (this is because I do not know English well)

If you need to export each clip in a timeline with a specific name (eg file name / clip name), use the variable values in the Name fields on the Delivery page.

Type " % " to the Filename or Custom name (it doesn't matter) and choose any values from the contextual menu.

I'm sorry if I still do not understand what you're looking for ;)

Jeff Brass

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 12:35 am

Vit Reiter wrote:Jeff,

maybe I still do not understand what you need to do? (this is because I do not know English well)

If you need to export each clip in a timeline with a specific name (eg file name / clip name), use the variable values in the Name fields on the Delivery page.

Type " % " to the Filename or Custom name (it doesn't matter) and choose any values from the contextual menu.

I'm sorry if I still do not understand what you're looking for ;)

Thanks Vit

ah...I missed the % - that would have made it easier, thanks for that. - still, I don't feel this should be needed as a simple "render TL audio" will still save a lot of time rather then manually queuing up 400 clips

Peter Cave

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 1:59 am

Hi Jeff,

I work with Avid, FCPX, FCP7, Premiere & Resolve. None of those programs will do what you are asking. I have never seen ANY software capable of this. However, I agree it would be a useful option. There would have to be some serious audio options for routing tracks when the track count gets too high!
Resolve 16.2.5

Jim Simon

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Jeff Brass wrote:an effective way to currently bring in 400 clips, apply some audio processing then render each clip as individual clips with the edited audio and existing file names?

That's an unusual work flow. Most times audio isn't 'processed' until after editing. That may be why the feature you want doesn't yet exist.

You could try using something like Adobe Audition or possibly Audacity to work on the individual clips.

timberthrax

PostThu Jan 02, 2020 10:23 pm

The workaround for this that I have found is to make each clip a compound clip that includes the correct audio. Still tedious but a little better than exporting each clip manually.

infocus_jc

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 2:01 pm

I get this problem too.

Client for a media training session wants 1 video file per attendee.
I have hundreds of clips.
Edited the audio for each one.

But when I export individual clips, the sound tweakings are not embedded in audio... So why does Resolve has the option to export audio on individual clips ? It doesn't make sense.

And if I make a compound clip out of every video/sound clips, the render just crashes all the time.

So I'm basically stuck. Or I have to put each and every clip on a new timeline and export one by one. What a waste of time.

Running DVR 16.1.2
On Mac Os Mojave 10.14.6

Jim Simon

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 3:02 pm

infocus_jc wrote:I have to put each and every clip on a new timeline and export one by one.

You can put them all in the same timeline, but you do have to set up each individual export with In/Out points.

Peter Cave

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 11:07 pm

infocus_jc wrote:But when I export individual clips, the sound tweakings are not embedded in audio... So why does Resolve has the option to export audio on individual clips ? It doesn't make sense.

RTFM

Individual clips is designed specifically for round-trip workflows from other editing software. It is NOT designed for delivery of timelines or parts of timelines.
Resolve 16.2.5

MichRichGreene

Resolve as a tool to make proxies

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 10:17 am

So I use Resolve to make synced and graded proxies, whether I am doing it for my own editing or if I am DIT on set and delivering to an editor or post house.
I find that it is the simplest, most precise program in which to do so, even manually syncing if necessary once the mechanisms are understood (as opposed to using jammed timecode).
I use the "Render Individual clips" mode, with the number of audio tracks set to "Same as Source".
The timecode stays the same upon export so that the post audio crew can easily relink the raw audio clips when the time comes.

However, I have begun to realize that it does have a few rather major limitations.
Namely, that 1) there is absolutely no way to alter an audio file once you link it to a video clip and 2) that you can only associate one video clip to one audio clip.

Here are few examples where those facts are indeed drawbacks:
1. Sometimes there are more than one audio source and they both need to be attached to each proxy, in order to give the editors (or myself) all possible options. So...adding extra tracks to sync beyond the main linked audio clip. Resolve does not allow this. :'(
(Or...conversely, there might be some unnecessary tracks that you wanted to delete in order to simplify things.)

2. Occasionally, especially on run-and-gun/verite/reality shoots, audio will cut at separate times from the camera crew. This is not ideal...but it happens and I am given what I am given from set without any way to alter that. So, often one video clip will sync to a first audio clip that cuts and then that same video clip will sync with the next sequential audio clip moments later.

Now, while tedious, both of these situations can be remedied in the timeline in the 'Edit' tab.
You can manually sync a second source or a second sequential clip from the same source to a single video clip.
HOWEVER...exporting using "Render Individual clips" completely ignores any of this work, defaulting instead to the original linked clip from the 'Media' tab ONLY...even if you had "Link[ed] Clips" in the 'Edit' tab.

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY???

I've thought that I could get around this by perhaps manually exporting each individual clip I might have to do any of this to, using the "Render Single clip" and specifying exactly how many tracks of audio there were supposed to be and by typing in the exact name myself.
HOWEVER...then the clips lose the original timecode, instead defaulting to the timeline audio!

It really seems like such a small jump to make these things possible.
WHY, oh WHY doesn't it work this way??

Does anyone have any suggestions of workarounds for these situations I stated above?
Thank you for any feedback!

MichRichGreene

Re: Resolve as a tool to make proxies

PostMon Feb 24, 2020 11:33 pm

MichRichGreene wrote: Does anyone have any suggestions of workarounds for these situations I stated above?
Thank you for any feedback!

Just thought I would bump this to see if I could catch some genius' attention...someone who might have an answer to this perplexing technical quandary.

helpme12345

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 6:16 am

I have a similar issue.

I'm not well-versed in Da Vinci, but I know people use it to sync picture and audio/transcode footage that is later used to be edited in Premiere or Avid.

I am trying to use Da Vinci for this purpose. I want to sync picture and audio and export individual clips that have the new audio synced with picture.

What I've done:

I made 6 timelines, labeled by the day we shot. I dragged the audio and video from those days, and synced based on Waveform with append tracks (this was so I could make sure the correct audio synced with it's intended clip. NOTE: I did not have timecode, unfortunately). I manually checked each clip to make sure the clips synced correctly. The clips that did not sync correctly (about 35% of them), I deleted and synced manually in Premiere Pro much later.

I deleted the camera audio, so I was left with just video with it's corresponding audio. I then exported each timeline individually, with INDIVIDUAL CLIPS selected in the deliver tab. I get a bunch of proxies in a new folder I created.

What happened:

I get into Premiere, organize my project, and get to work. Unfortunately, after editing a couple scenes (none of them had dialogue so it was hard to tell, and this is my FIRST TIME DOING THIS in Da Vinci), I realized that NONE of the clips that were synced in Da Vinci synced with the audio. It just kept the camera audio, even though I deleted it from the Da Vinci timeline after I made sure it was synced with the correct clip.

We shot on a Black Magic URSA Mini and the audio was strictly boom audio (though recorded in some Stereo format I think)

I've spent weeks on this trying to avoid any mistakes, because I know one mistake can set me back a long time when it comes to delivering clips. I've never done this before. I'm just trying to make proxies to edit in premiere with the new audio synced. I know it's possible, because I've had files delivered to me in the past like this.

Does anyone have a solution or know anything about this? You would be really saving me right now.

Return to DaVinci Resolve